Which HDTV LCD? | FerrariChat

Which HDTV LCD?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Robb, Dec 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Hey guys,

I've narrowed down a new LCD TV to the following based on how much room I have in my new built-in wall area:

Toshiba 52" with DLP (52HM84)
    Panasonic 50" with DLP (PT-50DL54)
    Hitachi 50" with or without DLP (50VS810)
    Sony 42" Grand Wega (FDF42WE655)

Any thoughts on picture quality, color and built in sound.
    I like the hitachi for its design and black front. I like the sony for the screen I did see but I do like the largest screen possible for my space, so the 50's are seeming a better draw.

I know nothing about this technology.

Merry Christmas and thanks for any recommendations.

Robb Williamson

2. gentry

gentry Guest

Anything you find that Sony makes (as far as TVs) you can find from LG for much cheaper, and you get the same product (save for aesthetics and branded features)

Id go for the WEGA, cant beat it.

3. mighty

mighty Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    panasonic or hitachi

4. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

5. lionsfan54

lionsfan54 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    I really like the Panasonic PT-43LC14. It's LCD proj (as opposed to their DLP) and looks much more "natural" IMHO. Plus, it's about half the price of that DLP from Panny.

They make a 50" version (PT50-LC14) as well. A nice TV for a nice price.

That Panny DLP had some pretty nasty "chunks" in some of the blacks and the guy at Abt (local higer end store) even said he didn't like the DLP and preferred the cheaper LCD Panny.

At least go look at one before you pull the trigger on the DLP.

6. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I will definitely be out looking. All of these units may not be in one place to look at side by side so I was looking for extra input from you guys.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Robb

7. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I bought a Pioneer Elite 50 and it is awesome

8. mighty

mighty Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    yes they're great, but a lot more expensive than the brands he mentioned?

9. gentry

gentry Guest

Might I make a recommendation on whatever TV you.

First, keep in mind that to receive HD content, you will need both an HD receiver from your content provider and an antenna. If you use DirecTV, they now have an HD TiVO as well. When you buy the antenna, just tell the guy at the TV store you need an HD receiver and antenna, he should know what to get you.

Next, you might consider this overkill, but its worth it. Either hire a A/V consultant for a couple hours to come out and calibrate your new set, or get one of the self calibration DVDs. (I would suggest the prior). Most people dont get the most out of their HD sets because they are never calibrated right. Unless you go to a specialty store (Home Theater Store for example), even the employees there dont know how to correctly calibrate the set.

Well good luck. If you watch the West Wing on Wednesday nights, you will like HD.

10. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Thanks guys.

Good points as I wade into this new area.

Robb