Oh why isn't the DB9 faster? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Oh why isn't the DB9 faster?

Discussion in 'British' started by zjpj, Dec 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Umm...

Enzo 3020
    Carrera GT 3043
    Carrera 3140
    360 3064
    Vette (C5) 3212
    Vette (C6) 3175
    Viper (GTS) 3320
    Viper (RT10) 3420
    Viper (SRT10) 3380

2. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Nice pics! Why is it that Astons look so much better than anything coming out of Ferrari lately?

3. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    So how would you classify the GT2?

4. K27

K27 Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Vancouver BC
    Full Name:
    Lance
    @ 3131 lbs I think we will let it go, just :) although alot of people seem to think the 911 series of cars are now GT's and long for the old days of light weight sports cars.

5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    #30 Etcetera, Dec 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. brunner

brunner Karting

May 3, 2004
    Romania
    Full Name:
    C. Salagean
    It's actually two Mondeo engines combined.
    That engine was designed by Porsche, btw ;)

7. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Ahh...I thought the later model Taurus also had the Duratec!

8. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Is this a dealer or factory problem? I know before they were Ford owned, they were very accomodating with special requests.

9. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i have to say as an aston martin owner ('00 vantage coupe) that i don't really care about such things. i love the db7 that i have because i like the looks and the performance. i didn't buy the car because it was faster than the previous model. i can honestly say there aren't meny around, most people have NO IDEA what it is, and i can have fun driving it. true car people will appreciate and respect it, people who aren't into cars have no idea what it is or that is something special and don't even give it a second look. the car enables me to enjoy a great car without having to worry about people f*cking with it in the parking lot.

i will also say this, i have had very few problems with the car. it is a VERY reliable car. what has gone wrong, was easy and INEXPENSIVE to fix (compared to ferrari). the reason i point this out is if i was in the market for a new aston martin ahving owned a db7, i would care less about performance figures. they are great cars. there are aspects about the db9 that i like and dislike, but they should be greta cars based on my experience with the db7 and that says more than enough.

10. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    And if you ask ferrari to put that V12 into your 360, is that gonna happen? I think not. Asking AM to put the Vanquish S engine or upgrades into the DB9 is well I think you would of known the answer before its even asked. The DB9 is a gorgeous car and im sure its plenty fast enough for its intended tasks.

11. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Aston Martin has been more acceptable to custom orders than Ferrari. Its who and how you ask where as Ferrari simply says no. Big difference.

Sunny

12. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    That's a rediculous analogy. The Vanquish S and DB9 motors are ostensibly identical, so for a totally handbuilt car there should be no problem technically in supplying the upgraded motor. Frankly I am a little bit surprised that it was an issue. maybe it relates to compliance/certification issues?

13. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Though Aston Martin is owned by Ford, Aston Martin is not using a ford motor or chassis.
    Also, the car probably has a tall first gear that's why it's not a quick to 60 as say the other mercedes and ferrari's in it's catagory. It's not the mission statement of the car.
    The brits way of designing a GT car has always been different than that of the germans and italians. They design the drivetrain to be as just as quiet as the rest of the automobile. That A.M. is beautiful, and probably drives as such. It's designed to be driven all day at 150mph and above speeds. It's not really designed for off the line speed, and tight cornering capability. They could probably also care less what Ferrari of Mercedes does performance wise also.

14. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    According to R&T, the CGT weighs 3530, and the Enzo curb weight is 3230. So, you're not being literal, where DO you draw the line?

Gary

15. K27

K27 Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Vancouver BC
    Full Name:
    Lance
    I used Mfg's own numbers.
    And as a side note, according to EVO Ferraris target was 1300kg when building Enzo and were slightly dissapointed, something to do with US safety regs I believe.
    Road and Track ?? :rolleyes: I remember a test they did on a new 996 and claimed it took something like 28 sec to get to 100, and then defended the numbers in a later publication. they have No cred. in my book, sorry.
    Q: would you like to autocross/track a 3800lb car ?

16. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    28 seconds? LOL!

A: Yes, actually. :D Its called learning to be competitive and learning your limits!

17. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    I second this point of view. I believe that most potential Aston buyers wind up pulling the trigger because of the marques exclusivity, not because it can outrun the competition. An Aston is a gentleman's sportscar. Astons are generally not piloted by the "my weenie is bigger" set! However, with that being said, from a marketing point of view, it might turn off some potential buyers who strictly dwell on performance statistics.

18. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Personally, I have no problem with, say, up to 3500 lbs. That's why I was asking how you arrived at 3000 when so many great cars are in the 3000 to 3500 range, and really, so few under 3000.

Gary