Ferrari Lusso/ Holiday time/ Ferraris and Family | FerrariChat

Ferrari Lusso/ Holiday time/ Ferraris and Family

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by SupercarGuru, Dec 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #1 SupercarGuru, Dec 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey Everyone,

During christmas i spent alot of time with my family. My dads father owned Sportcars of Springfield from 1958-1975. So i get to hear amazing stories when im around my family that include Luigi Chinetti, Jake Kaplan, The "Old" New York Auto Show, La Chante Claire restaurant owned by the Dreyfoos brothers and more and more. While around my and his father i realized how much cars, especially ferraris brings my family together. These stories and cars have become a part of my life. I have met some really great people on this board who are as passionate about cars as me and i think its the most beautiful thing! I would like to share some pictures from the past that have become part of my life and the reason today i eat, sleep and drink cars! I plan on posting alot more but heres a start! Basically what im trying to say is what a great place f-chat is and the love of cars!! Happy New Year and Happy Holidays!

-John Temerian Jr.

My dad and his fathers Lusso.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #2 SupercarGuru, Dec 26, 2004
  3. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #3 SupercarGuru, Dec 26, 2004
  4. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Great stuff, I wish my family were into sports cars. Unfortunately for me my father had a hard on for big sedans, interesting but not my thing.

I think the pic on top is a 250 SWB, not a Lusso. Is that a split front windshield on it? That does look like a Rolls and two E Types in the picture on the right.

5. 355flyer

355flyer Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2004
    Gadsden, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Andy Entrekin
    Simply gorgeous. Love the history.

6. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian

Thanks! I am going to post more!

7. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Please do! Gotta love them golden oldies!

Is that really a Lusso btw? It looks like a SWB.

8. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    V Cool. Pls keep the pics coming :)

9. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    What John is calling Lusso is short for the SWB Lusso (street) model opposing the Competition version.

10. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    thanks.

11. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #11 SupercarGuru, Dec 27, 2004
    400 Superamerica Series 2. My dad next to it. They also owned a right hand drive 250 GTO im trying to find pictures of. They sold it to Robert "Bob" Sowers, who was a movie producer.

12. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #12 SupercarGuru, Dec 27, 2004
    My dads first car at 16 was a Lamborghini Miura which his father bought from Stearns and Haskel on the famous Jerome avenue in NY. Stearns and Haskel also owned part of Modena Racing.

13. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #13 SupercarGuru, Dec 27, 2004
  14. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Barchetta photo

Sculpting around the headlights is typical of early Touring cars.

The chromed accents off the grill are unusual. Could be any number of cars. I can't match it up with any of the photos/books that I have. Someone with a larger database might know.

Great photos!

15. vtgts300kw

vtgts300kw Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    your dads personal first car was a muira? lucky lucky bugger :p

great photos. would be an honor to be around such history. keep the pics comming!!!

16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Wow, those pictures are great!! I think old photos are the most fun to look at.
    Thank you!

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I agree! My dad used to have this 1977 or so red Toyota Celica. He crashed it, but the damn thing still ran.... Until sometime in the late 80's. He pushed it over to the "We Pay Cash for Cars" lot on the corner of Beach and Bolsa. They have him $100 for it. Good times.

18. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Was your grandfather also named Temerian? At which time did he own the 250 GT SWB Lusso? I wonder if it is s/n 2111/GT, a silver Lusso which may have been imported into USA around 1966 by Mr. Sauers, then claimed to have been owned by a Mr. Reuter and around 1977 by Jim Scott. I think there is plenty of room for more owners to be wedged in.

The red Ferrari carries a Motto body remotely inspired by Touring designs of the day. This body was built for chassis 002/C around 1950 and removed around 1969. I am not sure whether Ed Williman bought chassis 031/S with this bodywork already installed or if he bought body and chassis separately and put them together. When was this photo taken - later 1970's early 1980's maybe...?

0094E was also built with a similar body by Motto. Unfortunately the nose has been modified and looks quite different today.

Any additional info about that 400 Superamerica? Don't have time to look that one up right now...

Best wishes, Kare

19. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Nice photos and story mate, but we need more pics ;)

20. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    #20 Fan512bbi, Dec 28, 2004
    A few shots of the 400 Superamerica for you.

21. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    WoW thats amazing! Mr. Sauers was a movie producer from what i know! He was best friends with my grandfather. He was actually a investor in the place. My grandfather traded a XKE coupe for his 250 GTO. Sauers also had a 275 GTB 4 CAM car white, he had a lusso, he had a fleet of cars. Where did you find this information?

-John Temerian

22. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    The superamerica they sold to someone named...Price? Bob Price...something like that.

-jt

23. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I've collected notes of cars, owners, plates, etc. for years. Sometimes when looking at photo a chassis number just pops into mind; saves a lot of detective work but may sometimes be a little frightening.

Sauers' GTO/RHD was 3647GT (ex-Surtees); owned today by James McNeil Jr. since 1967. Sauers also owned 500 TRC 0686/MDTR in 1967. I have no leads on the white 4-cammer.

400 SA is a tough one. You are right; it is a Series 2 car, but the bad news is there were at least half a dozen series 2 cars painted in a light metallic color that were in USA around that time. Don't have many owner names for these cars. Do you have more pics of it? Your father would not happen to remember the interior color or the headlight configuration (plexi covered or open headlights?). The silver car shown in the factory photo below (or above, depending on your settings!) is first of series - 3931SA - which is a little different. The one in your photo is a later car with wider rims and slightly different trunk lock set up.

Best wishes, Kare

24. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Ok here we go!

The 400 Superamerica Series 2 was Silver on Red. It was wrecked badly by Tom Price. In the late 60s. This could explain discrenpencies....in later configuration.

Tom Price bought the 275 GTB 4 from my grandfather and it was white with green seats.

Sauers did not sell the 250 GTO until 1969. This is what i have been told.

25. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Also!

i was just told that in the 1960s alot of these cars were sold from owner to owner with open titles and driven with "Repair" plates.

PS.

I am looking for more pictures as we speak. Most of my collection is of Miura's and XKEs.

PSS.
    The Lusso the chain was off a degree, and my grandfather said because of that no one knew why the car ran so poorly and he bought it very cheap.