82 mondial 8 engine problem | FerrariChat

82 mondial 8 engine problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by beethovenchow, Feb 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beethovenchow

beethovenchow Rookie

Feb 23, 2004
    the engine "knocks" really bad when I drive it. Someone told me that the connection rod inside the engine is broken. Is it the engine knocks = connection rod broken????
    my car is still movable, but engine is so noise when I drive it. I am new to this, so any one can help?

thanks

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Ok, first thing: stop driving the car now!

A bad knock means that a piston/rod assembly isn't moving correctly. The cause could be anything from bad bearings to a broken rod. (please note, I haven't worked on Ferrari motors, this is based on pushrod V8s. The basics should still be the same). It is possible for a car with a broken rod to run for a while, depending on where the rod broke. Near the piston == quickly junk, near the crank == slower junk. Either way, if it's not fixed damage to other internal components and the possibly the block are inevitable. You need to get into the motor to determine what is happening.

I'll leave it to the true experts to tell you how to do that.

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    AGREED !! HAVE IT TOWED !!

4. beethovenchow

beethovenchow Rookie

Feb 23, 2004
    I got a quatation from a mechanice store in Boston regarding the problem. They said that the engine would need to be "over hauling" in the worst case and the cost is around $ 16000 to $ 17000!!!!

Is it over charge?? Any one know the reasonable price range for "over hauling"???

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i have spoken with TRUTLANDS ON the phone. i dont know what they charge for a Mondail engine , but the 308 engines seem reasonable and i THINK they have a 1 year warranty. i was told $6K to $8k for engine alone, with me doing the rest. please let us know what the outcome is and what you decide to do with the car. michael

6. beethovenchow

beethovenchow Rookie

Feb 23, 2004
    Well, my car's mileage just hit 30000. I think I would choose to rebuild it instead.
    My car is sent to Boston for diagnosis today. Hopefully would know what is going on this afternoon.
    I found someone work on Ferrari by himself who is an hour away from Albany, NY. He said he would charge me $ 50/hr for labor. Anyway, I will see what the mechanic in Boston say about my car today.

7. beethovenchow

beethovenchow Rookie

Feb 23, 2004
    The mechanic ran a compression test on my car and the found out the no.3 cylinder gets problem. They said that the timing for all the valves are wrong. Now, the valves in no.3 cylinder is need to be change since the are hooked.
    Therefore, the whole job is just replace new valves and adjust the timing for all the valves.
    Thank God! They also said that is a minor problem. So NO MORE WORRIES!!!

Anyway, thanks for the responses from you all!!

8. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Well, not having seen the car means I'm talking out my ass, But...

It sounds like a timing belt slipped.
    With your car being 22 years old, I'd say it needs
    it's 30k complete service, as well as valves, seals & guides,
    probably at least one piston, so forth and so on...
    Not a cheap job.

But like you said... "So NO MORE WORRIES!!!"

9. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    I'm going thru an '82 Mondy myself right now.
    Sodium filled valves would be the bet I'd put my $.02 on. The unit that I tore down, came in with the previous shop telling him it was a bent valve. Sodium valves don't bend well, they become two piece. Luckily the owner was damn fast at shutting it down, so the head got saved. JMO.