GrandAM | FerrariChat

GrandAM

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jan 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Mr. Roger Edmundson, president of the GrandAM series and famous
    for his quote, "We do not care about traditional sports car fans" has
    done it again.

In a piece on the GrandAM website, there is an extensive interview
    with Edmundson and several drivers taking part in pre-event testing
    on the east coast of Florida.

In discussing the entry for the 2005 event, Edmundson may have
    topped himself with this gem...

"Of course, everybody focuses on the Daytona Prototypes and the new cars, but I have said for some time that one of our goals was to make the cars almost irrelevant"

Imagine, an automobile race where the cars are irrelevant! Really
    makes a manufacturer want to take part dosent it?

Watch as these new non-traditional sports car fans stay away from
    their marquis event in droves once again this year. The only thing
    that is irrelevant is the series (along with everything it stands for) itself.

BHW

2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    And he's done a good job of it too; you watch the races and mostly have no clue what the cars are or who's driving them. Ah for the days of the 935's and the M3's; at least they looked sort of like real cars........

3. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.

Happy New Year Barton :)

Here is the entire quote:

"Of course, everybody focuses on the Daytona Prototypes and the new cars, but I have said for some type time that one of our goals was to make the cars almost irrelevant so that focus could be placed on the quality of the drivers and the teams and their strategies and performance in the pits as well as on the track. That's what makes me so excited about this entry list. I know here at Daytona, the World Center of Racing, we have a chance to go over to the archives and look at the entry list from Daytona 24-hour races in the past, and it's amazing when you look at the drivers who have participated in this event since its inception and you see many of those names who are famous drivers. If you looked at that and you look at this year's list, you might not be impressed as much except for one big difference. Many of those names that drove here in the past had yet to establish themselves as champions. On this year's entry list we have almost 90 championships represented by the drivers who are currently entered, and that is unparalleled as far as a quality field."

I think taken in CONTEXT he is saying that he wants people to come out and watch the drivers instead of the cars. Unlike the 80's (and 90's) where it was Jaguar vs. Porsche or Nissan vs. Toyota..................it's Paul Tracy vs. Max Papis vs. Tony Stewart vs. Dale Jr. vs. .........

I plan to watch both series this year again so I get a good mix of watered down race cars (as you call them) in Grand Am AND

The completely watered down racing in ALMS.

Please let me know if you hear of any new world beating cars in LMP this year..................or are we simply going to see that tired 5 year old Audi beat up on that lone Dyson four banger again this year (or will there be a grand total of two four bangers). Will Corvette actually have someone besides themselves to race this year.............and who will be the Porsche Supercup Champion in GT this year?

You never did respond to my rebuttle of your GA bashing last thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42697

I fail to understand how someone who is clearly very informed on professional racing in the US can harbor so much hate for one series.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

4. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Jon, I would say you and OldMan did a rather thorough job in response. My only issue is, I'm not sure how comfortable I am seeing you refer to your car as a $20,000 s**tbox! Seriously though, will you be in Daytona this year, or just watching on TV?

5. Jeff Segal

Jeff Segal Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    I CANNOT believe that following the season that Grand-Am had in 2004, and the recent announcements of new teams, drivers, and engines, people are STILL complaining about Grand-Am. NEWSFLASH: Grand-Am is THE place to be in Sportscar racing at the moment, and there is a reason for it! The DP class provides SUPERB racing. GT is also growing rapidly, and appears to have a firm backbone to mimic the growth of the DP class. At any given event, no less than 10 cars stand a real honest chance of winning the race. The depth of driving talent, especially in this years 24h is incredible. NASCAR, Cart, IRL, are all represented. Every driver wants to be in Grand-Am, because they KNOW that more than one brand of car can win. The fact is that these cars are affordable enough to allow for 30+ car prototype grids, and the rules are designed in a way that keeps the racing close and exciting. The races are DRIVER oriented, so we are seeing PASSING, DICING, DRAFTING, AND RUBBING. I'm a fan of automotive technology too, but I'm personally a lot more excited by seeing Scott Pruett and Andy Wallace duke it out for 15+ laps in a row than by seeing and appreciating Audi lapping the field. There were incredible battles at EVERY race this season. The big car companies are behind the Grand-Am concept now, and their actions prove that they also agree that this is the place to be. Toyota, Infiniti, Porsche, Ford, Pontiac, BMW are ALL heavily involved in the series. Sponsors CITGO, Suntrust, Target, CompUSA, Crown Royal, etc. are ALL pouring money into the series, because they see that this is not just the future, it is the present! You're not watching the races if you're telling me that the racing isn't THE best quality road racing available today. That's a FACT that cannot be argued.
    It's ok to be wrong sometimes. I didn't think Grand-Am could stay alive either when the DP's first came onto the scene, but now I admit that I was wrong, and I'm glad I was wrong! If you don't like Grand-Am and what it represents, then you don't like racing. I appreciate fine engineering and technology just as much as the next guy, but I appreciate superb driving much much more. I'm not going to tell you that you have to stop watching ALMS and start loving Grand-Am. I like both, they each have a different flavor, and they each bring a unique approach. Both series' have their own shortcomings, but to continue to bash Grand-Am in the manner shows nothing more than ignorance and immaturity. Grand-Am is the revival that the sportscar world needed badly. If you don't want to support Grand-Am, don't, but it's your loss, and anyone that watches the races will agree with me.
    -Jeff

6. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.

Jeff,

Happy New Year :)

Are you driving the Maserati in the 24 Hour this year?

Jack,

Yes I will be at Daytona again this year, but only spectating. Last year we got a few Ferrarichatters together. You going?

Regards,

Jon

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Jeff, well said, I spoke yesterday with a friend who's on his way down to the Daytona test - told me they've now accounted for up to 30 prototypes? I remember the laughter when the first DP races featured a handful of cars - I laughed, too. I was an ALMS snob. How much more wrong could I have been?

I understand Dyson will race the Lolas in ALMS, but may explore DP as well. Chris Dyson is a class act and I'd love to see him racing a DP.

Cheers, Will

8. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

AGREE 100%

edit: And yours truly is actually weighing an offer to join a 1 year old GAC team as one of 3 drivers... Heh... :D

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You should race SCCA and NASA Dave.

10. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Well...truth is, I don't have a race car. I am looking at a pretty cool BMW race car that would qualify for both, as well as BMW club racing. But if that deal falls through, I am left to pimping rides...

11. Paha Koira

Paha Koira Rookie

Dec 30, 2004
    Central Florida
    Having attended the 24 hour race for 30 some-odd years, I have seen the ups and downs of it. I was very skeptical of the DP concept and with only 6 cars at the first race I predicted doom, but now after 2 years there are 30 entered to test, I believe that this formula has proven to be very successful.

And no matter what, it is not about the cars. The cars are very important, and the factory names help, but ultimately it is about the people. As a boy I was amazed by the vehicles, but as I grew up and began to know the people, not just drivers either, I realized that the thing that kept me interested were the people. And this year, I think there is the biggest list of 'stars' ever, or at least since the early 70's...

I am divided on the issue of cars that look like their street car siblings, versus prototypes with no street car relationship. I see how successful the Japanese Road Racing series and the FIA GT and would love to see those cars race at Daytona, but it's not going to happen so a big 'oh well' and I'm over it. Let's race. I see how having the factory supercar's puts the series on a slippery slope that will get steeper as each manufacturer raises their budget to win. Then factories leave and you end up with a situation that currently exists in the ALMS. Which, by the way is not the first time that has happened, just look back at the failure of the GTP class in the early 90's.

Rob and Chris Dyson are both entered for the test in a Ford powered Crawford. I suspect that this means they'll be at the race, too. I am glad to see them back, and believe they'll probably have more fun knowing they have a better chance at winning.

12. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Jon,

Nice response, but I'm at Daytona now, looking at 32 or 33 DPs (plus 27 GTs) entered. Someone did do a count, and there are 88 champions entered for the Rolex, representing just about every major professional series.

I just ignore Barton (as so lots of people). He's on his own little jihad, and is reduced to tearing Edmondson's quotes out of context and deliberately misinterpreting them. You clearly have more respect for Barton's overall knowledge of racing than I do, but then again, I make my living from it. Perhaps I'm the one who doesn't understand. As an aside, I have no problem with people who don't car for the DP concept; not every fan will. I do have a problem with those who go out of their way to smear the series they don't like.

I talked to the representative of a major manufacturer today, and it appears that the Sebring entry will be roughly 30 cars, and the ALMS will have fewer than 20 cars for almost all their races. I'd really like to see the ALMS stay healthy and survive, but it does appear that at this point the people who really count, that is those who are writing checks for cars, have voted. In that competition Barton's vote doesn't count, and indeed, smacks strongly of sour grapes.

Jon, I'll be at the Rolex again, and perhaps we can meet.

O.G.

P.S. There will be a pair of DPs later this year with Italian engines....

13. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Maserati???

14. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Papa,

The 4.2 liter Maserati engine is on the approved list for GrandAm.

There are rumors that Rafanelli wants to use the 4.3 liter Ferrari F430 engine. I suspect this would be allowed, but it will have to be submitted to GrandAm and be approved. At this point that hasn't happened.

15. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    O.G.,

That would be fantastic news, I hope this happens. Last year I saw some exciting races and I hope it continues this year with the added benefit of more Ferrari & Maserati powered race cars.

Papa G

16. bmiller411

bmiller411 Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bruce B Miller
    I hear that plans are in the works to change the name to Grand Am Road Racing by NASCAR. They plan to make the change for 2006.

Hear tell that is floating around Daytona - No Confirmation.

17. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    I didn't hear that rumor, and I'm at Daytona. Since GrandAm has a different ownership and board of directors (although there is substantial overlap) this would seem most unlikely. I talked to Roger at some length this weekend, and this never came up. Sounds like another one from the ALMS fan-boys.

18. bmiller411

bmiller411 Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bruce B Miller

This is want one of the team owners told me. Know if it is not true - so be it. I was just letting you know what I had been told. Beng it was a DP team Owner and he normally knows what is going on. I have no reason to spread a lie. I have done and do photo work for both series.