355 wheels on a 348: Questions (again!) | FerrariChat

355 wheels on a 348: Questions (again!)

Discussion in '348/355' started by Husker, Jan 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I just received JSL's 355 rims & tires, and I wanted to make sure I'm not about to screw something up. My 348 ts is a 1990. Am I correct to assume that these 355 rims/tires are a "direct bolt on" without any modifications? What about the lug bolts? Can I use the ones from my 348 rims? Any advice/expertise is greatly appreciated.

2. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    You have to post pics after you get them on!

3. polartech

polartech Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Geoff
    I am just at this exact point also ;-)

----I`m told I need different wheel bolts, so be careful mate!!!-----

4. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Maybe check with Paul Hill - they carry wheel bolts, spacers, etc for various swaps so can probably tell you for sure.

Cheers
    Kevin

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You need different lug bolts, especially for the rears. The mounting area on the rear rim is thicker than the mounting area on the old 348 rims. If you don't get the right size lugs, you won't be able to tighten the rims down properly. Just get a set of lugs for a 355 and you'll be good to go. You may be able to use the lugs from a '94 348 but I'm not totally sure on that. I do know that the lugs for the Competizione are longer. What really matters is the thickness of the mounting area on the rim and how deep the lug needs to go into the bolt hole. So just get the lugs for a 355 and you should be okay.

6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Thanks guys. Anyone know where I can pick up some lugs at a decent price?

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Call Michael at Ferrari Service of Costa Mesa (949) 548-9541. He gets loads of parts cars in, and I bet he has some laying around.

8. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    There was someone one here once that posted a link to a site that sold a whole array of chrome plated lugs for only around $4 a lug when I picked mine up for my spacers. I will try to find the site here...give me a few minutes.

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  10. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Support the sponsors if you want as Hill is great or order from http://www.ecstuning.com/HR/appguides/app_search.cgi?qt=studbolt where I got mine from for $4.95 each when I bought my spacers from them.

My order was two 15mm H&R spacers $82.20 and 10 12x1.5x60 lugs for $4.95 each shipping was free.

The company is a Audi tuner and their home page is www.ecstuning.com. You can get to the link above from the home page by clicking the H&R wheel spacers at the top of the page and then click application guide at the top of the page that link takes you to.

Good people and good service.

11. chenshan

chenshan Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Chenshan Wu
    Thanks a lot! Cause I also need it. Can you tell me which one can be used for my 92 348?
    HR141560FER 60mm Ferrari M14x1.5 $4.95 ea.
    HR141570FER 70mm Ferrari M14x1.5 $4.95 ea.

12. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    #12 348 Turbo, Jan 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Collin: I hope you are pleased. I slid off the road in the rain last Sunday evening and damaged two of my rims. I'm now without! Going to take a couple of weeks for the fix. One never knows. Enjoy!
    Scott:(

14. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    I run the 70mm ones but I have the 15mm spacers ECS resells from H&R on my car as well (I suggest if you have the cash ($82.20) you do this as well as the upgrade in handling is well worth it). I believe the 60mm ones are the default size but will have to check at home tonight.

Actually if you want I have a set of 60mm ones from ECS laying around that I could part with in a week here if you are interested (just give me a few bucks for shipping).

Thinking about it here the 60mm might have to be trimmed just slightly to clear the wheel hub if you just run the stock 355 rims as I used them on a set of rims with a larger offset and the fit was perfect. I can pop off one of my spacers and check for you tonight if interested.

Just let me know. I am happy to help you out.

15. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I posted the following in the sister thread to this one, thought I'd repost here in case it's helpful to anyone. Like John, I went with the H&R bolts from ECS, and they've worked great with many track days.

I've got an answer to your question, sort of. The lug bolts for the REAR wheels of a 348 DO vary in size, depending on whether you have a 1989-91 or 92-94 model; the wheels were changed to give it more offset, resulting in a wider stance. They ended up using longer lug bolts, so I'm told.

I went through this before, when I was sourcing lug bolts to put 355 Challenge rims on my 355 for track use. I needed 20 longer lug bolts. They must be 14mm x 1.5mm thread pitch, conehead, and 2.5 inches long". We discovered that when using Speedline Challenge wheels on a 355 (or 348 for that matter), the stock bolts aren't long enough for the wheel -- there is only a 1/4" holding the bolt on, instead of the 1/2" for the stock street wheels. Doh. Actual 355 Challenge cars use a stud/nut solution. The longer bolt from the late-offset 348 would work, but they are ~$70 APIECE.

Thanks to Bob Zino, who suggested checking with H&R, and Jamie Troutman and Steve Magnusson, who provided a link to ECS tuning, which is an H&R dealer, I solved it for a LOT less money.

http://www.ecstuning.com/HR/appguides/app_search.cgi?make=Ferrari&qt=studbolt&model=F355&submit=Search%21&thread=Choose+Thread

http://www.ecstuning.com/HR/support/how_to_mesure.html

For YOUR situation, you want the same length bolt as a stock 355. I think you can use the longer bolt, as it shouldn't protrude into the hub, but I'm not positive. You can order bolts of either size from ECS. Or just check the length of your current bolts, and see if they are at least 2.25 inches long (be sure to see the above link on how to measure).

I ordered a set of new H&R lug bolts (HR141560FER, 60mm, M14x1.5 ) from ECS, for $4.95 apiece (plus shipping), in lieu of the ~$70 or so that Ferrari
    charges PER BOLT.

Hill engineering, a sponsor of this site, also offers these bolts, but I think they are somewhat more expensive, especially given the current crappy exchange rate with the pound.

best of luck,

--Dennis

16. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Does ECS offer chrome bolts? I would think that would be important in this situation.

17. RickDay246

RickDay246 Karting

Sep 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rick Day
  18. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    OK guys...here's a report back from some digging I've done. First, it appears that the actual shaft length of the 348 bolt is LONGER than the 355 bolt. 2 people have confirmed this. The whole rationale for buying new lugs was that the 348 bolts are not LONG enough for the 355 rims to fit properly. They are actually about 1/8 inch LONGER than the 355 bolt.

So...I am going to try my luck with the 348 bolts first I guess, unless someone gives me compelling evidence that they aren't going to work.

19. RickDay246

RickDay246 Karting

Sep 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rick Day
    The front wheel bolts on the 348 are shorter than the rears. Pull one or two of those and test the length. That will give you a benchmark. Also, the length only refers to the shaft of the bolt, not the taper or the head. I know the 60mm's (shorter by about an inch than stock) worked well on the rear of my 348 Spider (see separate post on Italian shoes) but w/360 wheels, not 355's.

20. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    #20 348paul, Jan 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    355 Stock Wheel bolts are 52mm under the head. 348 Fronts are 55mm and rears are also 55mm up to 1993 - USA 94 cars had the wider track rims on them - these used 80mm under the head.

Regarding the H&R bolts - I thought I would post a picture of one of our bolts next to a H&R bolt - I know that several people before have commented on the quality of the chrome on the H&R bolts. It looks like the H&R bolts have a forged head that is just chrome plated over the top without the important polishing operation that the Ferrari bolts and the Hill Engineering Bolts have.

The H&R bolts are good value for money for what they are, but if you want your bolts to look like stock the H&R bolts may disappoint. Of course this is only in my humble opinion!

Cheers

Paul

(PS - the Hill bolt is on the right!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. RickDay246

RickDay246 Karting

Sep 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rick Day
    Paul's not only a fantastic help with information, as you see above, but he's right about the bolts. Although mine don't look as bad as the one on the left, they don't look as good as the one on the right. The finish isn't as clean. But for the price and the fact that you basically see only the top of the head with the wheels on, I found it a worthwhile sacrifice based on the pricing differential.

22. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Update:

As you will all recall, the common belief is that the 348 standard lug bolts won't work because they are too "short" and there's not enough thread holding the wheel onto the car.

Well...I took one of my 348 lug bolts off, placed the shaft into the 355 rim, and...I still have ALL of the thread to work with, plus maybe 3/8 inch of chrome shaft. This is true for the FRONT and REAR 355 rims. So...I don't know how much more you could ask than to have ALL of the threading available to hold the wheel on.

Unless I am missing something here, the 348 bolts should WORK JUST FINE.

Paul?

23. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You're not including clamping the brake disc between the wheel and the hub -- does someone have a cross-section jpeg of a 348 wheel/hub assy from the 348 tech material?

Take a wheel off your 348 (+ spacers?) and make the same measurement -- if it's the same as with the 355 wheel then, yes, they'd be perfectly usable.

Perhaps you don't have "stock" 348 lugbolts? Is your '90 spacerless?

24. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Steve...haven't checked to see if my car has spacers, but I think it's stock (w/out spacers). However...everyone seems to acknowledge that the 348 lug is slightly longer (3mm) than the 355. That sort of contradicts the assertion that the 348 is "too short" and that there won't be adequate thread to hold the wheel. Am I still missing something here?

25. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I really can't say more than I already have -- i.e., you should be more concerned with matching the distance that the lugbolt protrudes beyond the wheel mounting surface rather than the absolute length of the lugbolt.