The Official 599 GTB Fiorano Thread | Page 10 | FerrariChat

The Official 599 GTB Fiorano Thread

Discussion in '612/599' started by geertf60, Jun 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I can't believe that Ferrari would simply chop the 612 Scaglietti and call the result the Maranello replacement...

I just don't believe those spy pics. Indeed, I don't want to believe them.

I know that the Maranello was a shortened-wheelbase version of the 456, but the body was different. I think it would be pretty silly to make a Maranello replacement with the 612 body.

2. vimal_enzo

vimal_enzo Karting

Dec 4, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    VMLN8R
    yep, thats what I've been tring to say. Ferrari know there is no logic in making a
    maranello replacement with 612 body. What it is is that they haven't got round to designing a body so they've dumped the scag body on it to test out capabilities, ie handling, ride, acceleration etc.

3. Maseroche

Maseroche Karting

Aug 10, 2004
    Bahrain
    Full Name:
    Khalid
    Does anyone have an idea of when Ferrari would be launching the 575 replacment?

4. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    I cannot recall any instance in the last 10 years where the spyshots were not of the eventual car body. The 360, 550, Enzo, 612, 430 were all of the final body, simply covered up in various places to obscure it.

Why would Ferrari do things differently now, especially when many knowledgable people are saying this is what it will look like?

5. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    its killing me that they havent realese anything. When i was talking to one of the guys at the dealership near my house he even said that he is puzzled as to y there are no spy photos. The suspense is killing me.

6. Marcus 27

Marcus 27 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    According to the 25/1/05 issue of Autocar, 'the word in the bars of Maranello' is that the 575 replacement has been delayed. Apparently this is because Ferrari's profits have been badly hit by the weakness of the US Dollar.

This is mentioned in an interview with Jean Todt, who took over from Luca deM as Managing Director last year (LdM is still president of Ferrari and chairman of FIAT though). Todt doesn't exactly confirm this, but says they don't yet feel they need to replace the 575.

By the way, this issue of Autocar is a Ferrari special.

The pictures are probably a 612 hacked about to make a mule for testing the 600's chassis and I would think the finished car will look completely different. But given Pininfarina's recent efforts, I think Ferrari should ditch them and either do it in house or try someone else (Fioravanti? Giugiaro? Zagato?). Back in the coachbuilt era they used loads of different coachbuilders (Boano, Touring etc).

I think Ferrari's road cars are starting to go in the wrong direction. They just keep getting bigger and bigger. The 612 looks HUGE and the 360 was bigger than the 355, which was much wider than the 308! They should concentrate on making the cars smaller and lighter (imagine something like an Elise with a Ferrari engine!).

Also, I think they need to drop all these names. I just find them pointless. Maybe Nissans need to have names because they're so anonymous, but Ferraris don't. In the past Ferraris only had official names when they were relevant to the car. E.g the 'America' was developed with the US market in mind and Dino Ferrari had worked on developing V6s, so it made sense to name the 246GT after him. What particular connection does the 600 have with the Imola circuit? None, as far as I know.

7. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I agree with Todt, the maranello doesnt need changing b/c its the worlds most beautiful car ever.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The 575 with the GTC handling pack and the 612 engine would be one amazing car.

9. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I was just thinking out loud.

10. niek

niek Karting

Mar 24, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Niek
    well, i think it would be nice:)

11. TomSilver

TomSilver Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes, really nice thought. :)
    Btw, has someone heard when the GTC handling pack will be available as an aftermarket package?

12. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Talked to my dealer 2 weeks ago. It's not available as a package, but they can order the parts... Oh yeah - the price? About €65k (or $86k)... The CCBreaks were about half of the price. That's just not gonna happen.

13. riconijhof

riconijhof Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rico Nijhof
  14. TomSilver

TomSilver Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Holy Mother. Do you have a price list for all parts?

15. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    No. The dealer's part guy had it, and added it all up. They had a good laugh about it - even the dealer thought it was silly. The weird thing is that they had been told it would come as a retrofit "package" - that info was also on the owners site about 5 months or so back. But perhaps it won't come out after the 600 Imola or whatever comes out.

16. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I thought that the handling pack, aside from 19" wheels, brakes and rear mufflers, is just the 4 springs, rear roll bar, suspension ECU and steering ECU. Retail price on the lot is approx 10K AUD (7.5K USD).

17. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    That may very well be correct. What I was mostly interested in were the CCBrakes - the price for the brakes alone was about half the cost. I suspect the parts you mention costs more than that here in europe. AFAIK the F1 ECU is also part of the package. I don't doubt their prices. I know the dealer personally, and he knows that I wouldn't buy at that price, so there's nothing gained by upping the price.

But at this stage there doesn't seem to be an official "package" deal for the GTC kit, which was what I was looking for.

18. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I wasn't suggesting they were doing anything untoward. I would assume the parts I mentioned would be cheaper in the US. AFAIK the GTC pack suspension appears to be the FHP with a reworked suspension ECU at best. Amusing to read test reports raving about improvements that don't exist.

19. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    From what I've been told it's not the same parts. The roll bar is different as is the springs. But I'll ask my dealer next week when we meet.

20. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I checked previously, and the specs are identical to FHP.
    I have heard the following as an example;
    FHP for 550 is too stiff for the street.
    FHP for 575 is much softer and ideal for street usage.
    Both cars use identical part numbers, down to the roll bar bushings, aside from the suspension ECU.
    With the skyhook electronic damping in the 575, I would suggest that Ferrari softened up the compression damping in the 575 to achieve the soft ride. With GTC all they would need to do is firm it up. Anyway, enough of the opinions, time to go and check the facts! :)

21. Tradeur

Tradeur Karting

Jan 9, 2005
    London, U.K.
    Does anybody know whether the 600 Imola will have the same "nostril" as the 550 and 575? I mean the big rectangular air vent right in the middle of the front hood. Maybe there is a more technical term for it...

I always wondered if it was a tradition and they had to do it, or if there was an overpowering technical reason. I never cared much for it personally, so it would be exciting if there was chance they erased it for the 600 Imola.

22. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

They are crazy !

Thats 50% of the price of a used 575 !

23. Wyo550

Wyo550 Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2005
    Laramie
    Full Name:
    John
    Here's a web link to what the test mules looked like in 2004
    http://www.italiaspeed.com/2004/cars/ferrari/08/575_mule.html

The sales people at Scottsdale Ferrari have told me that the 575 replacement will be much like the 612 in terms of being more livable (ie trunk space for two mafia midgets-- not one-- and a roomier interior, etc). Being a 550 owner myself, I prefer the initial design of the 550 to the 575. And I think the 612's interior is over-the-top, with so many buttons and those stupid badges on the dash, telling the owner that Ferrari wins F1 races! Duh!

24. Tradeur

Tradeur Karting

Jan 9, 2005
    London, U.K.
    Thank you very much for that! It looks like the single central oval hood scoop will be replaced by twin bonnet air inlets on each side. To put it bluntly: one nostril becomes two. For people who don't want nostrils, no point holding off for the 600 Imola then, might as well order the 612 Scaglietti right away...

25. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Ferrari people know very well that 612's reception by mags and buying public is mixed at best.
    They'll surely try to blow everyone's mind with the Imola.