$1 Million left hooker in NZ! | FerrariChat

$1 Million left hooker in NZ!

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by vimal_enzo, Jan 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vimal_enzo

vimal_enzo Karting

Dec 4, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    VMLN8R
    Read this.... http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?ObjectID=3562324

"$1 million left hooker

Want a look at the $1 million Porsche Carrera GT? Get along to dealers Giltrap Prestige on Great North Rd, where the supercar is sitting in the window. It's Colin Giltrap's own car and is one of three bought by New Zealanders. It will be here for a few weeks before being flown to Britain where it will registered, owned and operated by Giltrap for 90 days or more, and re-imported later in the year. That way the left-hand-drive Carreracan be registered for road use in New Zealand. The premium six-speed Porsche is powered by a 5.7-litre V10 engine producing 450kW (612bhp) at 8000rpm and 590Nm of torque at 5750rpm. It has a top speed of 330km/h and sprints from zero to 100km/h in 3.9sec."

Do you know what this means? Now when I eventually get my Enzo, I can actually DRIVE it! People were always saying that in NZ you cannot drive LHD's in NZ unless the car is over 20 years old...but what a relief...if Giltrap can drive his Carrera GT, I can drive my Enzo.

2. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Say what? And I thought it was going to be a story about a really expensive prostitute. What a let down ;)

-R

3. Orbitz007

Orbitz007 Karting

Oct 4, 2004
    Not only a let down, but the boy most likely won't get an Enzo by the time he finished his med school. Just get real Vimal... by the time your finish med school, Enzo might already be out of date. But good that you can dream about it, dream on.

4. giago

giago Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Giago
    hehehehe.
    Where are the girls??
    lol

5. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Where's the hooker?

6. squeeky

squeeky Rookie

Sep 24, 2003
    its always been the case here. You can bring a left hand drive car into the country as long as it has been owned for 90 days or more out of the country and you have receipts to prove it. IE petrol receipts.
    This is why they are sending it out again.

7. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    damned kiwi slang gets me everytime :)

8. XLARGEUSA

XLARGEUSA Rookie

Aug 2, 2004
    Left hooker is rugby position

9. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    Shanghai/Melbourne
    How tough is it to import a 20 year old lhd 308QV which cannot meet emmision controls into New Zealand.

How much pain and duty is reqired to for this process (I have owned the car for 8 years and already imported it into China which was a major issue)

10. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    Not hard at all - no emission controls. If it's an older US-spec car you can pull the smog pump/cats etc if you want to. Older than 20 years means LHD is OK and Frontal Impact restrictions do not apply. LHD Ferraris trickle into the country.....there are currently 40 here:

275 GTB/4 1
    308 GTB 1
    308 GTS QV 4
    308 GTSi 4
    308 GTS 2
    330 GT SII 1
    330 GTC 1
    348 ts 2
    355 F1 Berlinetta 1
    365 GTC/4 1
    400i Auto 1
    456 GT 1
    512 BB 1
    Dino 246 GT 2
    Dino 246 GTS 1
    Dino 308 GT4 3
    Enzo 1
    F40 2
    F512 M 1
    Mondial 8 1
    Testarossa 2

Regarding import duties - you just pay GST( ~VAT) on the price of the car.(12.5%)

Regards
    Andrew in NZ

11. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    Just to add to what Andrew has said, you may qualify for concessionary entry if you are intending to take up permanent residence, so no GST would be payable. In any case there is a depreciation allowance of 75% for a vehicle which you have owned for 4 years or more so customs charges should be minimal. Details can be found at http://www.customs.govt.nz/travellers/Motor+Vehicles/default.htm

The only other importing charge is the MAF inspection fee, just make sure your vehicle is thoroughly cleaned inside and out before shipping it and you won't be in for exorbitant cleaning and re-inspection charges.

Some of the potential pitfalls which can be frustrating are to be found in the compliance process are;

If your vehicle has been damaged and repaired at any time in the past, you will have to get a repair certificate (cost $300) from an approved certifier. If he's unhappy about the way the vehicle has been repaired then he may ask you to do the repairs again to his satisfaction. The rules are also changing in that damaged vehicles need to be repaired and certified before than can be inspected for compliance, seems stupid to me as the compliance may uncover something else that needs to be repaired, but that's what the bureaucrats want :rolleyes:

Other minor issues may arise, seatbelts may need to be replaced if they don't have the right standards label, so too with brake pads.

Bear in mind also that the inspection can involve a complete strip of the interior to check for damage, if you're at all worried about the competence of the compliancing company you may wish to do this yourself, I'd suggest asking them what needs to be done before undertaking the inspection.
    You may soon be able to add one more to that list, my car is currently being repaired , and provided I get some spare time it will be on the road before the end of the year :)

12. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    Callum - you have a PM.

Regards
    Andrew

13. vijen6

vijen6 Karting

Oct 21, 2004
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Ben
    edit : posted reply in wrong thread. sorry guys.