Anyone else still dislike the F430 front scoops? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone else still dislike the F430 front scoops?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Sup, Jan 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thanks, Jimmy!

BTW, do you have Xenons for 550's? I'm deleting the foglights on the GTC stuff I have.

2. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The painted piece is what bothers me. For that kind of money they should be carbon fiber. Would look much nicer. How about designing aftermarket carbon fiber inserts?

3. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It's not my favorite part of the car, but I wouldn't kick her out of bed. LOL

4. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Ryan, I really like your design. Does it alter the ground clearance at all? John

5. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    "I despise the front air scoops of the F430.

They don't fit the car. Their shape appears to have been arbitrarily chosen.

Awful."

Couldn't agree more....me too!

Ryalex front is a massive improvement asthetically IMO. Although I prefer the photoshop 360CS front on the 430.

6. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Nope, I'm going to leave the spoiler lips and the sides (with the diagonal vents) the exact same.

7. Nicke

Nicke Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hellsinki
    Full Name:
    Nicke Forsell
    #32 Nicke, Jan 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a pic of one of the designs the 430 was going to get, but which was dumped in march -04, dunno if it looks better but anyways...

Ryalex, your design looks great, makes it look a bit edgier (kind of the same atmosphere as the Gallardo has IMO)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Sup

Sup Rookie

Dec 6, 2003

ryalex, I like your design too. I just have one suggestion, I think it would look better if the center duct was a little lower in line with the L&R ducts.

I hope your project is successful.

9. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I don't mind the shark nose vents at all, and I'm glad that Stephenson didn't try to make the 430 a "mini-Enzo," I think that would be a disservice to both cars.

10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thanks Sup - yes, in the final the center intake will probably line up more with the inner edges of the larger intakes.

11. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I think it would make a huge difference if they were painted the same color as the car and not just that plasticy looking black.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Perfect statement ... and I 100% agree.

Ryalex's front is 2000% better and if I was ordering a F430 I'd place an order.

Ryan,

When are you bringing out the new rear to get rid of the large bland/blank space?

Pete

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, I think that is exactly what he tried to do with the rear ... and it didn't come off.

Overall I like the car but slapping Enzo style rear lights on the back was tacky, very tacky.

Pete

14. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    i like the idea of the front air scoops being larger and wider than the 360's, but i dont like how they look. i wish ferrari would redesign them to aethestically look better.

15. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Ryna:

It does look a lot better. However, have you done any flow tests with the new design? What effect could this have on the performance of the car? I'd be very reluctant to put it on, unless I knew, for sure, what the effect would be at speed. If it turns down force into lift, you car would have problems at speed, no?

Your thoughts?

Art

16. pipecrash

pipecrash Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    Los Altos, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter A.
    The problem I have with the scoops on the 360 and the 430 relates to overall design.

If you have intakes scoops whatever you wanna call them keep all of them all oval but not a mix of oval and non oval.. I think hurts the lines of the car.

Personally I'd love the new 430 front intakes on a CS then all the scoops would be oval or a CS nose on the 430.

my .02 cents

Cheers,

17. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    I'm glad someone step out and say something about this. Everything else of the 430 is great, but the front scoops is just ugly. It's like they don't know what to do with it. It has to look different from the 360 but to their best creative that's how they ended up with.? and what about that small plate between the scoops....

18. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies

The taillights, and to a lesser degree the headlights, are the two obvious Enzo cues on the 430. Not using an F1 style nose showed great restraint and I think it was the correct decision. I agree the tails don't work as well here as on the Enzo, and would have prefered something closer to the 360. But hey, the car is beautiful, who am I to complain? :D

19. vimal_enzo

vimal_enzo Karting

Dec 4, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    VMLN8R
    Yes well the F430 may be a very competent car but to me the design is not appealing, its a contradiction of angles and curves, which worked well in the Enzo but not in the F430. The 360 I believe is a more beautiful car than the F430 which objectively is just an update of the 360's design. Also why is the drag so high in a car which has been aerodynamically tested.(cd is 0.33)

20. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    This is a valid concern - the only source I can spot for noticable lift would be the raising of the center intake. This could lead more air under the car - which could create more suction though. Adjusting the angle of that front spoiler could enhance the airflow too.

We're going to test it out to see what we can do. I've called around some of the physics/engineering faculty here seeing if there's a wind tunnel - or better yet, software than can tell me the Cd from a 3d model

21. yavapai

yavapai Rookie

Dec 5, 2004
    Arizona, USA
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Virtually everyone that has reported seeing the F430 in person says it looks better than in pictures.
    I just spent several hours at the LA show looking at the 430. As I walked around the car any reservations I had quickly faded. The car has an elegant edginess that is simply delightful. I could not find a bad angle to view the car. And when it fired up. . . WOW.
    No doubt, the tail lights could have been integrated more gracefully, as with the Enzo, and the front air intakes could have more depth, but I was left smiling and speechless because the F430 spoke pure Ferrari, just sitting there.

22. angshuman

angshuman Rookie

Jul 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    NaN
    Those are brilliant! I don't know if people here remember the "Road and Track Smiley" but I always felt that that complemented the overall lines of the car better than the current teardrops.

But the Ryalex fascia looks even better. Good job!

23. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway

the tail lights are hideous, as are the mirrors with the 430 badge like a cheap gucci belt... the scoops arent my issue. altho' looking at the car at the LA show yesterday... overall impact: it looks like profiler's jewelry for cruising Rodeo Drive...with your 20,000 dollah watch.

and the blue Scag looked pretty nice, as did the superamericano profiler extraordinaire.

btw -- car of the show -- the db9 and db9 cabrio....the perfect wifemobile. [looks, not handling]

24. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I dislike the front scoops. But also the back end. I didnt really like the Enzo that much. So the Enzo back end just doesnt fly with me. Not that my opinion counts or anything.