F40-first hand driving experience??? | FerrariChat

F40-first hand driving experience???

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Fezzaphil, Jan 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fezzaphil

Fezzaphil Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I have always lusted after a F40 (I'll keep saving the pennies) Has any Uk member had a go/test drove or indeed own one? Whats it actually like to drive? Does it come under the heading of a 'beast'. Yes I'm sure it goes like sh*t of a shovel but can they be driven at sensible speeds?

I'd just love to hear what they are like......amusing stories please

2. Lee_Proctor

Lee_Proctor Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lee
    It scares me when I look on WreckedExotics, the amount of F 40s on there. Leads you to believe some owners just cant keep the beast tame..

3. Rosso Badger

Rosso Badger Guest

Jan 17, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Al Boswell
    An F40 is a very primitive and unsophisticated road/race car which will punish you mercilessly if you let it. The power is too much for the rather simple chassis and suspension, the brakes are either cold (and do not work) or, if on a track, they are too hot (and do not work), the gearbox is heavy and clumsy, the shockers are brutally hard and will crash into every pothole, the noise and lack of comfort makes it an entirely short-distance car, and the steering darts and pulls into every ridge on the road.

It's a very misleading car, it will do 120mph just like that, when your brain is still at 60mph, and it is thought that at least half of the ones in Europe have been crashed at one stage or the other.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT I think that the F40 is the most fantastic, dramatic and sexiest Ferrari ever made ! It is brutal and a real man's car, satisfying like no other, and certainly the very pinnacle of the overpowered underchassied supercars. The F50 and Enzo are real Wendy cars by comparison.

4. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    I absolutely agree with Rossobadger about the F40. I thought long and hard about one instead of the Murcielago, but it is an animal and requires a lot of concentration to drive especially in the wet where its literally lethal. It just would'nt have been able to cope with the mileage I do, but all the same I would love one. Have been in a couple and the accelaration made me feel ill. In the Murci its still savage but much smoother and constant whereas the F40 is neck snapping. Mind you I say the F40 is one of very few cars that beats the Murcie on looks - especially from the back

5. manu

manu Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2002
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Manu
    I've had significant seat time in the F40.

Firstly I don't think it's particularly uncomfortable to drive, it's worse for the passenger as his/her seating position is a bit more skewed inward.
    Yes it IS deadly in the wet (all high powered 2wd cars are) but in the dry, despite the basic suspension it does have good traction.
    The good thing is that when off boost, it is basically a 308QV , so it's also PERFECTLY tractable at sensible speeds. It doesn't overheat/foul it's plugs or have hicupping FI (I trawled them through London on plenty of occasions and they never misbehave). The clutch is a little heavy and on/off but other than that they are doddle to drive around.
    It is LAIRY but it's not THAT much of a beast. Provided that you don't arrive mid corner just about to develop maximum boost it actually handles quite predictably that is to say that *in my experience* it does not "momentum oversteer" (like the Murcielago ;) ) The brakes are shocking that's definitely true but it's no more a beast than say a 996 GT2.
    I don't like PAS so I think the steering is great. Let's you know EXACTLY how fast you are going - IMO it doesn't disguise at all.... because it's so raw.
    You get a strong feeling of it being a very lightweight car. The nose bobs around all over the place but it does feel quite planted at high speed. Not all that noisy without a Tubi.
    The ULTIMATE car for getting people out of your way on motorways etc....

Eminently tuneable - dump the brakes/turbos/intercoolers/ECUs/wing/hood for LM variants and you'll have something which will honestly LEAVE an Enzo. i've driven one with 600hp and that WAS an animal - it would try and spin around in a straight line.
    Stories - even in stock guise - at certain points in the MPH range like 60 - 90 (can't remember) it is STILL quicker than the McLaren F1.....
    Someone I know ;) has "police camera action" style footage of being tailed from an unmarked cop car (F40 driver didn't know he was being followed at the time) - the cop car's speedo reads 150mph and is wrung out... last reading they get of the F40 is 172mph as it absolutely leaves the cops for dust flying into the distance.
    Only reason I couldn't consider one is because I don't fancy spending £40K on a new hood in the even of a prang.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The Public demands this video for national security reasons :) !!!!We need it !!

7. Albert V8

Albert V8 Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Albert
    So does anyone on here actually own one?

8. Fezzaphil

Fezzaphil Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Philip

and can we come and dribble over it?

9. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    My quote from this thread :-

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=134660267#post134660267

And his profile with pic of the gorgeous beast:-

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/member.php?userid=1740

10. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
  11. mannyk

mannyk Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Newport beach
    Full Name:
    Manny
    I just crashed mine this Friday, I think it will cost me some big bucks, the car was cold and the brakes just didn't do it.

F40 is not made for a quick run, I learned it the hard way.

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Manny,
    that's awful:( Were you on the road or track?
    Tony

13. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    I thought you did ?

14. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Ouch, hope you got out Ok

15. Albert V8

Albert V8 Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Sad to hear that mate.

But look at the bright side, nows the time for that upgrade you've always promised yourself :D

2 weeks after that post, i did :)