200 550 or 94 512 ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

200 550 or 94 512 ?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by robert biscan, Jan 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #26 Chiaro_Slag, Jan 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nice! I saw your post in the Lambo section & was quite distraught.

TR is king!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Let's look at the facts :
    - 550 is newer, more reliable, faster, more reactive, brakes better and generally much easier to live with everyday and to maintain.

- Financially there is some depreciation still to be had on 550 (although 98 models should not be far off the bottom IMO)

If you buy the car only to drive it a few time on weekends, I think it's purely down to the looks. Then it's purely subjective......

3. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Got to be 512TR as I think mid engine cars are much sexier & exotic than the front ones.
    Test drove 512 a few weeks ago and loved every minute of it.

4. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    I would go to the dealer and drive them both,if you are serious they will gladly accommodate you, the lines of the TR are hard to beat in my oppinion.

However, after owning my 94 512 TR for a year ,very nice solid and fun car to drive 50 miles at a time or so I found her to be a true weekend warrior type car.

Remember she is still late 80s early 90s technology and for some people that's one of the things that they like about her, that raw no frills race car feel and ride.

If it were to be a choice I would pic the 550 hands down if you are going to actually drive her any length of time and not just look at your Art work shinning in your garage bay!
    In that case for me it would be the 512TR hands down simply a beautifull car.

I feel a drive will tell it all, it is a personal choice they are both awesome but very different cars. Good luck!

5. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Right on Glen. If you are going to drive it only weekends, the 512 has a larger presence and is just more exotic looking, if more driving than that (trips, driving to shows, weekend geraways, etc.) then go w/ the updated looks, creature comforts, more power, etc. of the 550. For better or worse, remember that your wife will be able to drive the 550, but no way in hell is she turning the wheel on the 512!! :)

6. jharkercfduc

jharkercfduc Karting

Sep 4, 2004
    riverside california
    Full Name:
    jonathan harker
    I'm going to... I mean I would get the tr, i haven't seen william H's silver car in person, but it does it for me.

7. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    shuffle the finances, sell something if you have to, and just buy both.

8. Ferrari Mackintosh

Ferrari Mackintosh Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    If you are going for looks, the 512TR is more of a crowd headturner then the 550. However if you want to blend in a little more (then the 512) with the rest of the traffic and attract less attention, go for the 550.

9. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I think the 512TR is more visually appealing...at least to me. I'll take a 512.