Thinking about buying my first Ferrari | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Thinking about buying my first Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Toolfan2, Jan 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bianco

Bianco Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Check to see where you closest Ferrari club is and then show up for their next meeting or event. After getting to meet them I'm sure a few of them will offer to take you out for a ride in their machines. (Don't even ASK if you can drive though.) Without at least a ride in a variety of cars you won't have any idea where to start, and of course everyone loves to talk about their particular car. You'll get enough of a feel for the pros and cons of each model after a while to know what you like best, and what to watch out for. Enjoy!

http://ferrariclubofamerica.com/
    http://www.ferrariownersclub.org/

2. FerrariFlip

FerrariFlip Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Bonaire,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Philippe Haak

You want comfort??? Don't buy a Ferrari then!! Ferrari is a race car and is made for people who want to drive fast. Comfort is the last thing they think about and you don't need a freakin radio in a Ferrari!!!!!

3. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    ALL vintage car owners need to heed this statement! There are always 3 lists: What you NEED to get done (brakes, water pump, etc. : things that the car cannot be driven without)

What you SHOULD get done: things where your car runs okay but is a PITA, such as poor idle, oil leaks, burning oil, etc.

What you WANT to get done: Things on the wish list, like cosmetics, cosmetics, cosmetics, new CD player. The quest for concourse.

If you don't do the first two all the time, you will not have a reliable car. You're waiting for a known issue to break before you fix it. Thus, you get stranded a lot. Count on it!

The third is for the rich and crazy. Getting an old Ferrari into concours shape is prohibitivly expensive for the average low-end Ferrari guy. So the carpet is worn, no big deal. You do your belts, oil changes etc. religiously and you have a reliable car.

Ken

4. Toolfan2

Toolfan2 Karting

Jan 13, 2005
    Washington State
    I was wondering if anyone would be able to answer a question I had earlier. Could I buy the parts to a Ferrari and repair the car myself? Like I said earlier, I am probably capable of doing it, and know people who can help me.

5. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    It's a CAR! PEOPLE fix it! You are a person, you can fix it. As long as it's not a computer car that is. You sound like you will need those friends, but I also started at ground zero with my Lotus and friends. Granted, a simpler car though.

Good luck!
    Ken

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

if you are very capable , have the correct books and tools...maybe you can work on some of it yourself.

they are pretty complex and again based on the questions you ask...i recommned you take your car to a proper service tech.

please take no offense, i too would love to work on my cars and have a great garage and many "ferrari" tools, but other than fluid and brake pad changes, i am frightened to more damage than i hope to fix!

7. Toolfan2

Toolfan2 Karting

Jan 13, 2005
    Washington State
    Like I said earlier, I am brand new to exotic cars. I realize they are much different from my Saab or any other car you normally see on the road. I just don't know in what ways they are different.

8. wcelliot

wcelliot Formula Junior

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I do most all of my own work as well....

and can tell you from my very short wonership of my 308:

1. Compared to anything else you have worked on, parts will be more expensive. Much more.

2. Compared to anything else you have worked on, parts will likely be harder to find.

3. Virtually every backyard mechanic (myself very much included) makes mistakes... mistakes made here can be VERY expensive.

4. Unless you've worked with a lot of Italian cars (I have not... mostly British, Swedish, German, and American) you'll find things put toegther differently. Not hard, just different. So far, harder to work on than my SAAB turbo was; easier than my ur-quattro was.

5. Just like with virtually every car, the newer it is, the more difficult it is to work on. I chose a carbed 308 strictly for the lack of electronics. I considered an older 400.... but decided to "cut my teeth" on a 308. I have not been sorry with that decision.

6. Above advice is correct... if you're only driven FWD cars, this is not a good place to start learning RWD. Get something more forgiving. I've driven mostly rear engine, so the Ferrari is like a design perfected to me.

Bill

9. Toolfan2

Toolfan2 Karting

Jan 13, 2005
    Washington State
    Ok here are the list of cars that are at the Ferrari dealership in Seattle that I am interested in looking at and I am going to buy one of them.

1995 Ferrari 456 GT
    1995 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
    2000 Ferrari 456M GTA

It looks like though i'll be buying the 2000 Ferrari 456M GTA. A bit over what I want to spend but that is ok, it won't be a problem.

I'm also looking at a 2005 Dodge Viper or the 2006 Corvette if the Ferrari thing doesn't work out. If I am really upto it I may try to get a 2005 Ford GT (although at $150,000 i'll be waiting until near the end of the year before I can buy one), but I heard that is damn near impossible to buy and there is a huge waiting list to get one. Anyone know anything about buying a Ford GT? I don't know of any Ford dealerships that even have one on their show room in Washington State.

10. Toolfan2

Toolfan2 Karting

Jan 13, 2005
    Washington State
    Crap, the 2000 Ferrari 456M GTA sold last night. That just leaves me with two choices now. I e-mailed them back and asked if they will be getting anymore F-Cars in soon.

11. Serpent Driver

Serpent Driver Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Norway
    "It looks like though i'll be buying the 2000 Ferrari 456M GTA. A bit over what I want to spend but that is ok, it won't be a problem."

Sure you want an automatic tranny? That kind of ruin the whole Ferrari experience... A car like a Ferrari should have a manuell transmission! at least that's my opinion. But of course it's your choice, and i think you will love it whatever you buy, the most important thing is that YOU like it! Good luck to you

12. Toolfan2

Toolfan2 Karting

Jan 13, 2005
    Washington State
    It is just that I might have to settle for whatever is in my price range because I can't find anything in my area for sale.

13. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Again, given the advice you have been given already, including some from me, you should not necessarily be limited to cars currently in your dealer's possession or even in the same geographic location. Do your own research for the car you want- otherwise, buying a Ferrari with an auto-box when that's not what you want is a BIG waste. Let the local dealer help you get the car's condition verified, and have them buy it for you and brought into your locale to give you added comfort of a local purchase. Your time and effort invested before you buy the car will pay off after your purchase, unless you have the dough to keep changing cars at a price.

14. Serpent Driver

Serpent Driver Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Norway
    Agree. When you are buying a Ferrari you should buy the one you really burn for, and really want!

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Lucky you.

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Stay away from the GTA, get the other 456, they are very nice cars, for older guys......wait I want one!

Darn, I'm an older guy, just looked in the mirror.......

Agree with others gentle advice that you need to look a little further than the local dealers, although you have some great ones in the Northwest.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wait 'til next month, the 456 will drop 10K, then the month after that ....then the month after that.......and so on....

18. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    After reading what this guy is looking for..........he'd probably be happier with a Lexus

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He seems to lack a certain...............FOCUS.........LOL!

20. RickDay246

RickDay246 Karting

Sep 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rick Day
    Toolfan, I scanned the posts and I think there are a couple things missing. First, get Keith Martin's "Collecting Ferrari" book. www.sportscarmarket.com. It will answer a lot of your questions.

Second, this should be a national search (in your case Canadian too). I had my car shipped from Cleveland to San Diego for $1,700.

Be flexible on your choices - they'll most likely change as you learn more. I started this search leaning toward a 246 Dino and ended up with a 348 Spider that I'm very happy with. My budget was similar to yours.

This is a bit like buying a boat. Study, buy the best example of the car you decide on that you can afford, and prepare for maintenance fees. But insurance, cross-country shipping, etc, are minor things. If those costs concern you, perhaps a Ferrari purchase should be delayed until they don't.

Everyone here has an opinion. No matter what Ferrari you buy, it's still a Ferrari. Some of the lesser known models (330 GTC) and others won't attract as much public attention as the popular models (308, 328, 348, 355, etc.)

Enjoy the process.

21. Toolfan2

Toolfan2 Karting

Jan 13, 2005
    Washington State
    Ooh I see what you did there, are you trying to tell me to buy a Ford Focus instead? ;) :D

No I would be very unhappy with a Lexus. And you didn't read what I am looking for. :) In a earlier post I made it very clear that I am looking for something that isn't even remotely close to being pratical and a everyday driving car. I already got one of those and it is a great car. I am going for a Ferrari because I can afford it, and (I don't think anyone is going to argue with me on this next point) they are great cars. In my opinion from what I have read about them, they are the best cars in the world.

Perhaps it is because i'm not a patient person, but I rather try to buy within my state and not have to do a lot of traveling to see a car and drive it. That seems a bit much even for a Ferrari.

Am I not ready for one just yet? Perhaps. Right now I got two cars I can look at and that is what i'm gonna do. Not saying i'm going to buy one of them, but i'm gonna go look. :D

22. Toolfan2

Toolfan2 Karting

Jan 13, 2005
    Washington State
    Ok I have finally decided against buying a Ferrari. This isn't going to work out for me. I honestly can't find more then one reason to want to own one. I specifically dread the outrageous maintance costs and insurence, and the one main reason why I want a Fcar is because of the look and how exclusive it is. That is hardly a reason to buy a car when I can get something that can go the same speed and still look great too and is more comfortable. Nothing can match how beautiful a Ferrari looks though, that is what drove me to these cars in the first place.

I may try to get a 2005 Ford GT, otherwise though the 06 Corvette is calling my name in my dreams and I might hold out to get that. :D

23. Muteki

Muteki Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2004
    Guam
    Toolfan, if you think the Corvette or GT is a comfortable ride then you are in for a treat. They are built for racing as well. The corvette is about the same as a Ferrari. I am not going to tell you these cars are for everyone, because they are not. You have to be willing to put up with thier temperment and prices to be an owner. Just out of curiosity, have you ever driver a Ferrari? If so, if that didn't convince you to buy one, then nothing will. If not, go drive one and carry a deposit, because its about a 99% chance you will want it.

As far as fixing a Ferrari yourself. I am posting a link to a guy's website that has on-line e-books of almost all the service manuels for numerous Ferraris, it has the 308 you were asking about. I use it to repair my model and it has been very informative. Check it out and download it for free here:

http://www.ferrari.stevejenkins.com/books/

Then you will know if you are qualified to work on this car and what the work entails. Last and not least, do not buy an older Ferrari as a primary driver unless you have a back-up vehicle. The price of parts are expensive, but not unaffordable. They are hard to locate, but there is allot of experience at this board and I have been able to find every part needed to do an entire rebuild of my car. You can view the extensive work on my project here:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45048&page=1

If anyone knows about locating parts, its me. I have rebuilt my entire car from the ground up. I have replaced everything except the engine block, tranny and frame. Plus or minus a few body panels. I sourced out each and every part and gotten then at least 40% cheaper than most people pay, because I am willing to wait for the right deal to come around.

If you are not willing to put up with the Ferrari and own the most prestigous car on the road, then I suggest a kit car. Allot of people don't like them here, but it sounds like it might be right for you. There are allot of kit cars that come close to the original look, at least from the outside. They have motors that are easier to repair. You can get the same lines as a regular ferrari and it should be in your price range. Just keep in mind, it will not be a Ferrari and it will never sound, feel or drive like one. Take my advice and go drive a real Ferrari, then your decision will be definate.

24. Toolfan2

Toolfan2 Karting

Jan 13, 2005
    Washington State
    Well I don't know about the GT, but the Vette I know for a fact is a comfortable ride. I've test driven one, and am just all around a big fan of the vette anyways. It is a much cheaper car of course then the Ferrari. An 05 with all the options on it is about $55,000. It is only a V8 yes but it has 400 horse powers, sounds amazing (atleast in my opinion anyways) and has a top speed of over 190mph. That is a lot of power for very little money, and maintance on it is going to be a lot cheaper then a Ferrari.

I did get around to test driving a 2000 Maranello over the weekend, and I gotta say I loved it. It was a great car, and if I ever do change my mind that is the Fcar I am getting. A maranello 575 would be the best because it is a lot more comfortable and has probably the best interior of any ferrari.

But again owning something as prestigious and exclusive as a Ferrari isn't a good enough reason. The Corvette fills my desire to have a car that is fun and fast while I can still own my other car that I use for everyday driving. And the Vette won't break the bank like a Ferrari will.

25. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    The new Vettes are amazing; it's the first car under $100k that can beat Europas at ASP autocross and can give the big boys competition at larger tracks as well. If it had a little horsie on it, it would be regarded as the best Ferrari ever made.

Pity I'm just not a fan of Vettes!

Ken