Porsche becomes fastest road car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Porsche becomes fastest road car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by etomcat, Jan 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrus

vrus Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Tom,

Yup.. I know all about that.. I only mentioned the 1989 record to show that it was done such a long time ago that it isnt anything spectacular.

2. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    If top speed is the only aim, then putting thinner tyres on will surely help reduce wind resistance if the car is the standard ride height.

3. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #28 teak360, Jan 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. vrus

vrus Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    Victor
    I am not sure what justifies it as a world record, but I can tell you that others have gone faster as far back as 1989. To me, what 9ff did is nothing spectacular.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    To have a world record somebody official (yep there is a department/company/board somewhere) has to monitor the record attempt ... they obviously did this, others mustn't have (?).

Agree.

Pete

6. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    I was wondering the same thing. Weight reduction could actually slow the car down, if it made it sit slightly higher (more drag) or cause it to be unstable at high speeds.

7. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I agree with everyone who is wondering what all the fuss is about. Yes, a great achievement by the 9ff team, but the Sledgehammer Corvette broke (smashed) the 400km/h 'barrier' 15+ years ago...and there have been a number of other modified cars to exceed 240mph before the 9ff.

8. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    It's all very nice and interesting in a novelty sort of way - but a Porsche is a Porsche - it'll still NEVER grow up to be a Ferrari.

9. stradale88

stradale88 Karting

Apr 5, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Roland
    The McLaren F1 has nothing to worry about. The 9ff has over 200 hp more, is far from stock (tuned GT2 engine in a modified GT3 body), had the windscreen wiper and wing mirrors removed, duct tape added here and there and as a result it's not even 2 km/h faster in a straight line. To me that doesn't sound like the sort of achievement to be boasting about...

10. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    LMAO...I agree...I love Ferrari's..but the F1 was an amazing accomplishment for its time...it is beautiful, it is timeless, and it is the epitomy of what defines 'exoitc'

11. F430-Monza

F430-Monza Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2004
    Hey guys...what's the bid deal over this issue ?

If I put a NASA space shuttle powerplant in a Lada or Skoda..that thing will break any record out there..but again what's the point ?

As our late Enzo Ferrari once said..." It's not how fast u go...but how u go fast "....and that literally means...the prancing horse prestige and pedigree which other so-called "faster cars" lacked !