Vintage Italian for my garage. Ghibli???? | FerrariChat

Vintage Italian for my garage. Ghibli????

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ferrariguyma, Jan 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I sold my 328GTS last fall and have decided to replace it with a 60's 70's vintage Italian. I am considering the Ghilbi at www.motorcargallery.com
    its a 1971 4.9SS Coupe in Carmel with a Bone interior. asking a steep $59,500. the other car I am considering if I could find a well sorted, honest Ferrari 2+2 I would be all over that. Either a 250,330, or 365.

Any opinions? Leads?

Thanks

Andrew Conti

1966 Mercedes 200D Fintail
    1988 Porsche 911 Celebration Edition Cab
    2004 Jeep Rubicon
    1978 Chevrolet Chevette 4dr DELUXE! A/C and Auto

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    That red Lambo Islero at Motorcar Gallery sure looks nice!

3. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I was thinking the same thing!

Other suggestions: Maserati Mexico or Fiat Dino Coupe.

4. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    or a Maserati 3500GT or an Alfa GTV1750.

5. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    Youv'e got to have a Fiat X1/9!

6. Maserati

Maserati Rookie

May 10, 2004
    Maserati V8 cars are the best buy for the money in my opinion. A clean Ghibli for $59000, that's just a steal if you consider what you get for the price : elegance, beautiful timeless design, powerful engine, marvelous engine sound, reliabilty, exclusivity, make's prestige. Plus they're useable, you can drive them, they are absolutely delight to drive (no need to fight with them) and very comfy too. That's another spirit, not the Ferrari thing, these Maseratis are more GT oriented. Beware of condition of any car, spares are very pricey and the cars are very difficult and complex to restore.

7. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #7 Murph, Jan 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
  9. GogglesPaisano

GogglesPaisano Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Matt Borland
    Beautiful car, Rodney! I've always liked the Indy...

10. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Thanks hate to let it go but selling both the "big red cars" Going back to pick up a Touring bodied Lancia. My wife wanted me to build another "double decker garage" I explained that it was a lot less expensive to sell a couple of cars and gain garage space back.

A matter of fact FerrariGuyMA. I will make you a great deal for both a Classic Maserati & a Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2

http://www.maffiacarclub.com/ForSale.htm

50K buys both.

11. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Ghibli is a nice car, but the color of this example is in the "babe repellant" category, sorry.
    I do love the Islero. And at $37K for a vintage Lambo V12 !!!!? Good thing this car is not local, or I would go and "just look at it"

Also look at the Alfa 2600 Sprint and Spyder. Not a track car, or anything, but a really cool Italian GT for no money at all.

thx
    luke

12. Emartleb

Emartleb Karting

Dec 6, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Val Beltrame
    I'll cast another vote for the Islero -- in fact, any front engined Lamborghini. The engines are absolutely amazing and the prices are reasonable.

13. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    #13 lukek, Jan 24, 2005
  14. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have to agree. I also like the Espada. Hard to beat either for the price.

15. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    I actually looked at an Espanda @ Motorsports Gallery before I purchased the 365. Then I researched parts, the simple fact is that Lambo has gone bust many to many times. Parts for the Espada come in beat up ugly boxes because they have been handed off from dealer to dealer.

Parts for a vintage Ferrari or Maserati or easily purchased from several reputable dealers. Ferrari parts come from many sources. I was able to purchase any part I wanted for the Maserati from Carrozzeria Campana in Modena.

16. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Steep is an understatement, for a coupe. For that kind of money, look at a 365GTC/4 and get 12 cyl instead of only 8. ;)

Now if you could find an original Ghibli spider (as opposed to a chop) ...

That's a fine lookin' Mistral, but follow prices a bit before jumping in with both checkbooks. ;)

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #17 Spasso, Jan 24, 2005
  18. Emartleb

Emartleb Karting

Dec 6, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Val Beltrame

I owned a Lamborghini Jarama (a car made in far smaller numbers than the Espada though more than the Islero) for almost 11 years and never had any trouble getting parts. GT Cars in Arizona can pretty much get anything you're likely to need with the possible exception of some trim parts. I think the production numbers are as follows...

Jarama - 177
    Jarama S - 150
    Islero - 125
    Islero S - 100
    Espada (all three series) - about 1,200

Again, I can't express how great the engines are in these cars. Absolute masterpiece and great fun to drive.

19. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #19 Spasso, Jan 25, 2005
  20. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Real Ghibli spyders have been fetching around 100k for quite a while now. The Mistral is nice, but not if you are over about 5ft 6. It's really more of a "womans" car.

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Especially the 4 headlight version shown. You betcha!

22. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    I really like the Islero S. Don't forget to check out the Maserati Khamsin.

23. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I like your chevette. How's the brakes?

24. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Great thread.
    I'm also going thru' the same thought processes at the moment. The initial thought was to replace my 328 with a 512BB. But recently I've been thinking along the lines of keeping my 328 but would like to compliment it with an exotic GT from the 60's/early70's.

Initially I wanted a 3500GT but they all seem to be a little too pricey, but Islero, Jarama, Mangusta, Ghibli, Mistral, Sebring and even an earyl 6cylinder Aston DBS are all on the list of possibilites. These are all reasonably rare cars so, regardless of model, the car in the best condition at the right price will be the one I end up going for. But at the moment, the decision making process is great fun :)
    Cheers
    Simon

25. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    If I may add to your list. I am attracted to the value and the rarity of these odd ducklings:

Maserati Mexico (60s playboy without the flash), Pantera (a little hairy chested, but gotta love the dna coctail), Alfa Montreal (Italian inspiration for AMX and Dodge Challenger styling, or is it the other way around?), Alfa Romeo 2600 Sprint (lovely to look at, nice 6), Giulietta Spider Veloce (or Sprint), the nadler of the bunch, perfect for vintage racing.
    The 512bbi would probably be more of a blue chip investment and a scary fast ride, but it would also be 3X the price of the other cars.
    Keep the 328, it is usable and easy to own.

thx
    luke