400th Enzo | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400th Enzo

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ferraripanoz, Jan 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    No thanks. If you've read all that has been written in this thread and still can't come to grips with it, nothing I can say will help you out. You're too caught up in the insignificant details to see the greater meaning.

2. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    GTE, I follow your reasoning, that they could have just wrote the check, but only up to a point. What incentive does Ferrari have to gain publicity from this? They are already the world's most reccognized brand (or 2nd to Coke) and they have huge waiting lists for every car they make. They simply cannot get more popular, so what is the motive?

3. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    What a great idea! I hope they do something to make it stand out from all the Enzo's. I like the clear coat only idea the best so far. That would be awesome!

4. lateralus838

lateralus838 Rookie

Oct 30, 2004
    Cupertino, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan W.
    They could just write the check, or they could make a special 400/399 Enzo and instead of paying the money they could probably raise a couple million or more dollars on a car that would only cost them maybe a quarter of million to make (just a shot in the dark i have no idea how much an enzo costs to produce). Maybe they can't afford to donate a million dollars, but they can afford to build an Enzo and give that away. Regardless, any gesture is better than none, and even if they have to break production numbers, who cares? Bottom line is, they are helping to raise a million plus dollars and it shouldn't matter how they do it.

5. millerphatty

millerphatty Karting
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Davenport, IA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Miller
    It was explained to me that they were going to make 399 enzos because they had been planning the car so long, but it was a tribute to the F399 which won their first constructors championship since 1979!
    that is why they were going to make 399 of them.
    personally I would much rather have 399 than number 400!

6. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Has it crossed anyones' mind that by the time the crooks in the govt. over there steal their share, the only thing left for the victims will be a couple dollars (or in other terms, passenger side mirror off that 400th Enzo)? IMO, don't build it.

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I still think its funny that people think they only made 399... :D

8. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    They put 399 Enzo´s on the market. If not, why the badge on each and every car, saying so?

Ferrari could built some special edition F430 and give the profits to Asia.

9. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Sure, but I still say it is rather hypocrite to put yourself forward as just being generous, but at the same time use other people misery to gain publicity. If it wasn´t about the publicity, they could´ve donated the money without the drama. A company that is willing to pay one of her employee´s about 40 million dollars a year, can get its hands on a cool million.

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass

Isn't there a badge on the "349" F50's? ;)

11. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Hi NNO and all the other ENZO VIN collectors.

Here is the offical list for your records:

001 - 399 for customers
    400 - Museum Galleria Ferrari
    401 - Replacement for the Houston total crashed and burned of
    402 - "The Tsunami" Enzo for the auction

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I've also been told of an all black un numbered one that was "delivered" before any of the customer cars.

13. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

I honestly don´t know, but since they´re not building a 350th F50, it doesn´t really matter on this particular subject.

Wouldn´t it be better if Ferrari would build a special edition F430? Cars that went out of production, should stay out of production.

14. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Don't understand all the fuss really, Ferrari made a good gesture towards the victims of this disasterous event and they should be applauded.

Every company wants to get publicity when they make donations so Ferrari is the same but why make a normal donation which everyone does the same. With another Enzo going up for auction then that will stir PR to them.
    I think it's a win/win situation for them.
    Who cares about the limited production numbers as they always exceed the revealed numbers anyway. As long as the limited numbers are not violently abused by a lot more produced then I think it is fine as the extra ones will be accounted for anyway.

Several more Enzos will not detriment the value of the existing ones, will they?

15. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    IMO they should build it because if they hadnt even mentioned it then i wouldnt be laughing at all you guys arguing about it. I mean its just a car (hmmm) and the fact is that all money received is being donated so it really shouldnt be causing arguments amongst folk, we should be arguing about the value of it being a one off and possibly (hopefully) the last they make, the colour scheme etc and who we think will buy it.

If i had an Enzo, i certainly would not be giving a toss whether they made another cos i'd be too busy showing off the beast or having parties at my playboy mansion with all the chicks at the poolside. One or two extra production models shouldnt make a difference to Enzo owners but if it can make a difference to these poor families and orphans etc then i'm sure we all agree whatever the case that its all in good faith. Would we rather they did nothing at all. Anyway i'm sure lots of cheques have been written as donations from Ferrari but we probably just dont know it cos it isnt our business......

M

16. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    No, but it won´t do Ferrari´s credibility do any good. If you make a point of building 399 examples, you built that number. No more, no less.

A special edition F430 could´ve done the trick just as well.

The Enzo is done and over with. 399 examples build and sold. Just leave the car alone.

17. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    You know what man, there are far far greater concerns in the world than Ferrari's credibility. I am sorry you can't seem to grasp the concept of 'greater good'.
    Ferrari is clearly putting their 'credibiliy' to the side during this time of pain. Only people like you however would think less of them for such a gesture, I'm sure you are the minority. I applaud them for their efforts and certainly among the majority, they have gained some credibility.

It is only a car, and only a car company, relax.

18. GDautosport

GDautosport Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    NJ
    maybe ferrari wants this gesture to be remembered...

20 years from now, ferrari enthusiasts will still remember the 400th enzo, but they would not remember the check they wrote for a million...

also, this is most likely not true, but maybe ferrari is donating more money on top of that enzo...except that in this case, they get publicity too.

19. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    A special edition F430 to me aint going to raise 1/4 of what the enzo would raise therefore feck the numbers and go with the enzo, remember that a few more $ may save a few more lives....

20. godzilla

godzilla Karting

Feb 9, 2004
    surrey
    Full Name:
    David Yu
    I'm sure you are just trolling for attention, but if not, why are you not bothered about (as someone has already pointed out) the fact that Ferrari happily raised production from the planned 349 to 399 when sales of their most expensive ever car went better than anticipated?

Or when they took F40 production to well over double the originally stated number?

Or come to think of it when Renault released a second and third series of their "limited edition" Clio Williams hot hatches?

I personally wish they could raise production to make Enzos worth about £100k so that I can realistically dream about owning one someday...

21. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

You fail to see my point...miserably.

I am not complaining about Ferrari donating to Asia. Not at all. I am complaining about the fact that they feel the need to take commercial gain out of it.

I think it is just a 'tad' naieve to regard this as a applaudable gesture. Gestures like that are selfless. Ferrari isn't acting selfless one bit in this matter.

I don't care that much at all, I just don't applaude them for being selfish. Thats all.

22. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Make a serie of 10 special F430's. It is actually that easy.

23. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Because that decision was taken pre-production. Not rather opportunistic to gain commercial winnings from a terrible disaster. Again I ask the question: why not just hand out the checque? Why the fuss to serve one's self interest? That's not what charity is about is it? Well, I am not demanding Ferrari to help out in Asia, but I find it a bit tacky to pull this stunt and expect people to look upon it as a great selfless deed when it is clearly not. Well, obviously, looking at this thread, Ferrari is getting away with it, but I am sceptic.

I mentioned that, didn't I? It goes to show that Ferrari builts great cars, but that their corporate way of running the show is rather, lets say, questionable.

They didn't do that in order to look charitable, just to gain commercial publicity, right?

I don't care how many Enzo's are made, but if Ferrari would want to help out in Asia, there are other ways to go about it. Less dramatic ways. But then, too few people would know, and what would be the point of donating lots of money when no one is there to applaude you for it? Well, thats the sense what I'm getting from companies that are crawling over eachother in order to look chartible where Asia is concerned.

It is sad that companies will not help, unless they have something to gain. If that is not the case, then write out the check and be done with it.

24. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I was told of this also - in fact, what was told to me was that I was looking directly at said car. I have pictures somewhere (this was WAY back, first enzo i saw) and was told to keep very quiet about it.

I don't recall taking any pictures of vin plates, etc. but I can certainly look later tonight.

--Dan

25. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    Well clap with one hand then. Yes, they will get plenty of milage out of it but:

1) That's the gesture that they decided to make to help out and it will raise >1 mil. There are probably 20 different options they could have chosen but, like it or not, this is the one they chose. <EnzoNZ applauds>

2) It's more than a lot of companies are doing <EnzoNZ applauds>

3) I'm sure that the families, school or whatever that are helped out by this money don't give a **** about whether Ferrari is getting good PR over the gesture. <EnzoNZ applauds>

Cheers
    Andrew in NZ

Ps - being a Kiwi, do you look at the TradeMe auction site? Air New Zealand have donated dozens of First/Business class tickets to most international destinations. This is huge PR for them and in reality costs bugger all. Look at all of the comments in the auctions. People don't give a rat's arse about the PR that Air NZ are getting - thay are applauding the gesture and bidding $175k on the tickets.