Interview to all collectors here | FerrariChat

Interview to all collectors here

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by urraco, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    1; When and how did you first get started or interested in collecting scalemodels? Age then____ Current Age______ 2; What was your first car and what model you appreciate the most and why? 3;How many models you have so far and waht is your latest? 4; What car(s) you have scale 1/1 (in real life)? feel free to post long answers and include pix Thank you all

2. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    1; I was first amused by ferraris when I spoted one 308 parked outside a store and decided to get everything related ever since I was 19 now I'm 32 2; the first one I bought was a 308 and my favourite is a LAMBO MIURA made by ANSON 'cos here in my country is too difficult and expensive to get one and besides I think the MIURA is the most magical and full of charisma of all italian cars. 3; so far I got 74 models and my latest is a 1967 Shelby GT 500 Mustang. 4; in real life I own and drive a BMW Z3, Porsche 944 & Mustang GT .

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    1- I was nine years old when I got my first model. Was a gift from my Mom, because I did well in school that year! I'm 27 now.
    2- 1:18 Bburago Lancia Aurelia B24 Spider. I fell in love with the shape of that car, with its chrome wire wheels and curvy body.
    3- Either 66 or 67 cars. Mostly 1:18, but a few 1:24 and only a handful of 1:43. Latest is a 1:18 Kyosho 328 GTB in Black.
    4- 1975 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 (you can see a photo of it in my profile).

4. Scott85

Scott85 Formula 3

Dec 16, 2000
    Dayton , OH
    1. I first started seriously collecting when I was 17, now I'm 30 . I've had tons of Hot Wheels, but got out of that to collect 1/18 cars.
    2. My first 1/18 was a Burago F40, I've had various Hot Wheels & Matchbox cars since I was 5 . My favorite cars are an orange UT Mclaren F1 & a custom yellow 275 GTB/4 that I made.
    3. Currently about 120 1/18(main focus), but that changes weekly. I have a ton of 1/64 and various other scales. My latest is a Tamiya 1/12 F50 .
    4. Real cars ; 95 Firebird Formula & 90 Taurus SHO.

5. daz355

daz355 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    MclarenVille
    Full Name:
    Darren P
    I got started when I was 23/24, 32 now.It began when i first laid eyes on a Mclaren F1.The first car I brought was the black Davidoff F1GTR in 1/43.Since then my collection includes every F1 car that you can think of.I also have loads of literature on the car and have been fortunate enough to have a tour around the factory and have sat in XP5 and XP1LM. I currently own a F355GTS.
    Darren

6. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
    1; When and how did you first get started or interested in collecting scalemodels?
    I was in Tech school in the Air Force, nothing to do on weekends except drink, went to the base hobby shop with a friend and bought a couple models.

Age then_19_ Current Age___40__

2; What was your first car and what model you appreciate the most and why? First model was the 1/16th scale Dukes if Hazzard '69 Charger, which I did in plum crazy auto touchup paint. The model I appreciate the most would probably be my Viper GTS, which I painted med metallic green. I got harrassed for NOT doing it Blue with white strips, which was the ONLY way to do that car "quote unquote". Model got a best of award at a show later that year! Shows you should build for yourself first, and worry about contests later.

3;How many models you have so far and waht is your latest? I have about 80 built models, with the last one I finished being a 246GT in 1/43rd scale. I also have about 20 on the bench in various stages of assembly.

4; What car(s) you have scale 1/1 (in real life)? 2000 Voyager and just bought a 2003 Caravan, guess that means I have a v-12, sorta, right?

7. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    #7 dogue, Feb 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    1) I was 9 when I realized that Ferrari was my deep passion and started buying hotwheels, matchbox etc. anytime I had money. I am now 31.

2) I was given a 1/24 scale Bburago 250TR for Christmas when I was 12, this was my first scale model. My favorite model was a gift from my two very best friends, a 1/43 BBR 1964 330 GT 2+2.

3) The actual number is not known, but I have about 80-90 1/43s a hand full of 1/18s and 1/24s and countless hotwheels, matchbox etc...My latest model should arive today, it is a Doyle Risi 333SP 1/43 made by Sparks.

4) No 1:1 that is worth mentioning, but that will change.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. rr1973

rr1973 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    DieCast Collector
    Full Name:
    Ramon Ramirez
    1) Age Then: 26
    Current Age: 30
    2) My first Car: Burago 1/18 F50 Black Hard Top (My Wife's gift)
    Model most appreciate: Ferrari Enzo and 360 Modena for their design.
    3) Currently I have 30 models and my last was an Ferrari F1 F399 (1999).
    4) My current Car is a Chevy Cavalier 1999. I'll attach some pics later.

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    1) Then: 22, now 42
    A friend of mine had two Ferraris (328, TR) and around the same time I saw a collection of 1/18 Ferraris in a shop.
    2) First: 250 GTO from Bburago
    Most appreciated: Hard to say. Maybe the 360 GT I customized myself. Because it came out nicely.
    3) somewhat over 70, latest is a 250 GTO spider (Velorosso)
    4) 308 QV

10. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    About age 7, used to build lots of muscle cars and custom cars with spare parts. I would get a new kit every report card day also from my mom for every A, so I would get an awesome Christmas-like day 4 additional times a year. At the age of 12 I built my first high-end model, the Tamiya 1/12 scale Ferrari 312T4 F1 car that Jody Schekter and Gilles Villeneuve drove, that thing cost $125.00 in 1982!! Awesome kit, 300-400 parts, screws, rubber hoses and clamps, the engine itself was a kit, had lots of fun. Took about 2 months to build.

11. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    1) I have always had Hot Wheels cars. I always love certain cars.

2) The first "scalemodel" that I bought was a 1/24 Bburago 5000s QV.

The one I appreciate the most is my 1/18 5000s QV because it is the most expensive model I own and I paid for it myself. I had to really look hard to find it and it was one I really wanted.

3) Not including Hot Wheels, maybe 50. Including Hot Wheels, a bazillion. My latest is a VW Nardo.(1/18, my scale of choice.)
    http://photos.yahoo.com/tsmiv

12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    - when I was young... too young to remember. maybe 4 o 5 when I got my first hotwheels or around the same time when I was given my first corgi bond cars.

- the ones that stood out the most would be the old bond aston with the spinners on the wheels, the bulletproof rear window protector, ejecting passenger seat, revolving license plate, and of course, guns up front.

- not that many, maybe 25 or 30 cars, not including the small hotwheels cars, that would account for many many more.

- latest is a 330 P4 in 1/18th scale I found on ebay. old, used, and like most older ferraris - it needs restoring. =)

- favorite model - that would be autoart lambo sv - it's black and after looking at this for so many hours, it seems to me that there is nothing about it that resembles a 'car'. it's just art.

13. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    1: Actually I started collecting just a coupe of years ago - my wife asked me what I wanted for x-mas, and I said "a Ferrari" I just forgot to mention the most important word.... a REAL. So she was kind to give me a red F50 Spider 1/18 - the disappointment was eeeeendless LOL :)
    Age then: 2- current - current 33 or 34 I'm not quite sure, must ask my wife but shes busy right now, but I'll fill you in later.

2: Like a said, red F50 Spider - my favorite today is probably the F50 which I'm modyfying in my basment right now - if its a total mess, I'll think I'll go for my 360 grigio alloy.

3: Today I've got 25 cars in my house - 11 more is on the way (soon I must sleep in my garage)
    My latest model was white F40 or yellow F50 (I get cars almost everyday, but not today (!)

4: I'll drive a 98 Volvo S40, silver. and are happy with that.

Paul
    www.SuperCarCrash.com

14. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    1. 15. 16 now.

2. Yellow Hot wheels F50. Appreciate 1/18 mclaren gtr most, the car that won lemans.

3. 13 (i think, more to come). Latest - Maisto Gallardo ($10 at wholesale place :D )

15. keof50

keof50 Guest

i started collecting when i was 15 and i am nearly 16 now. I wanted to start collecting and i mentioned it to my uncle and he gave me alot of 1:43 porsches. The car i appreciate the most is my Mclaren F1LM, but i have a F1 road car on the way so it may change. I have 46 models, with another Murcielago, the F1 i mentioned and and a Carrera GT on the way

16. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    When and how did you first get started or interested in collecting scalemodels? From Birth

What was your first car and what model you appreciate the most and why? Lots of Hot Wheels under 10, lots of model kits in my teens, diecast in my 20's. First diecast was a 1:64 Schumacher Benetton

How many models you have so far and what and is your latest? About 1100 diecast models (about 100 1:18, 900 1:43, and the rest 1:64). Latest is a black 328 GTB by Kyosho and a 1:43 Damon Hill Renault F1 World Champ.

What car(s) you have scale 1/1 (in real life)? 1989 328 GTS and a GMC Yukon - see profile.

17. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    I just discover this site and I find you people so friendly and is good to know all of us have this dirty passion for Enzo's cars , Specially I want to mention Mule for sharing a photo of his car which I guess must be a breathtaking experience to stare at it in the flesh. and Peter's Dino has left me with a lot of questions: why is it called Dino? is that the only non-pininfarina designed Ferrari? and How much you paid for it? , Peter I'm eager to hear (read) everything about your ferrari or is it that a "convential" Dino didn't had an actual Ferrari engine in it? whereas yours actually has it? tell us all.

18. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Martin,
    Thank you, kindly. If you look through this section you will see a lot of great collections and a lot of great model cars, especially some that people have built and customized. Some look better than the originals.

Carbon - who is collecting an Enzo for each real one made.
    Tifosi - who builds beautiful cars.
    The list is huge, with so many nice models and people. Look around all of the threads and welcome to the site.

19. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    (I got your email, thanks)

Its called Dino, as it was once a model in the Dino marque, the marque dedicated to Enzo Ferrari's son (who had passed away at a very early age from a rare disease. Enzo was devasted and named this marque in honor of him. Dino showed alot of promise when he worked for his father for that brief time).

The GT4 is not the only Ferrari designed by Pinninfarina. If you include the early coachbuilt cars at the very beginning, Ferraris were styled by many designers/coachbuilders (Vignale, Zagato, Ghia, etc...). The GT4, however, is the first and last in the modern era of Ferraris.

These cars are not expensive at all. I paid $25000 Canadian for it (at that time, roughly $18000 U.S.). It did need some mechanical and cosmetic work, but nothing serious.

The reason why it has a V-8 (and why its a "Ferrari" engine) is it was designed completely by Ferrari, to replace the old V-6. The V-6 was designed by Vitorio Jano (with input/influence by Dino Ferrari) and made by Fiat. When the GT4 was being created, there were tough emissions laws that had to be met if the car would be sold to the U.S. and the V-6 could not be made to perform well under these conditions. The V-8 was larger, more powerful and able to conform to the emissions rules.

Hope that answers most of your questions. Considering this is straying off the topic, if you have more questions, contact me off-line through my email.

20. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    1. Memory not that good, now 39
    2. early matchbox
    3. Over 100. Latest 1/43 Jouef Evo P4
    4. See profile

Some quick snaps of a few. True to way it looks, the office is undergoing a reorg and many of the models are just sitting out of the way.

21. Eric W

Eric W Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I started collecting 1/18 diecast 12 years ago. I bought my first 2 models at the same time, a Maisto Porsche 911 Speedster and a Maisto Lamborghini Diablo. At the time I couldn't believe how nice they were, but by todays standards they are just toys.

Back then there weren't many places to buy 1/18 diecast. Pretty much Toy R Us was it and they had a growing selection of models.

I remember a couple years later brousing throught the Dupont Registry, I saw an add for a new diecast company called Exoticar. I quickly sent away for a catalog. I quickly realized that Exoticar was local to me, about 30 minutes away.

I've been a customer ever since. My collection has grown quite a bit since then. I'm current at 97 models.

22. F355guy

F355guy Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Full Name:
    John P.
    Nice collection Andrew.

Been collecting 1:18 for about 10 years. I'm in the hundreds, mostly Ferraris. I'm 24, planning to buy a 355 & 360 in the future.

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think you meant to say the GT4 is not the only Ferrari NOT designed by Pininfarina. First and only one designed by Bertone. Second car (after the 206/246) to carry the Dino badge, albeit only for a short period. Sales in the US weren't great and so the badging changed to Ferrari.

Mule, thanks for that nice compliment. It raises the bar: Yesterday I wanted to show you guys the F50 GT I'm working on, but then saw some obvious flaws and kept working on it.

Seriously, it is kinda funny: Knowing that I will eventually show off a customized car in this forum drives me to make it better. So be nice once I finally lift the curtain on the F50 GT. It was/is a pain to build. Never again.

24. F355guy

F355guy Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Full Name:
    John P.
    Andrea,

As long as you don't paint the horse emblem the same color as the ferrari and try to sell it for 200 then I won't bash you. j/k lol ;)

No sneak peak?

John

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hehe, I guess therein lies the difference. I KNOW I couldn't sell this one.

Here a couple pictures I've posted before. The one with the green putty is from an early stadium, the next one halfway in the project. However more putty and paint followed thereafter...