Any thoughts/experience with a 96' Viper GTS? | FerrariChat

Any thoughts/experience with a 96' Viper GTS?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by 1 BAD BURB, Jan 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1 BAD BURB

1 BAD BURB Karting

Oct 14, 2004
    Minnetonka, MN
    Full Name:
    Aj ....
    hey guys
    i was wondering if any of you have driven/owned a viper, more specifically a 96' GTS, or for that matter, any GTS... how is the performance as a daily driver?

i know hp/tq numbers, and they are impressively high...

any problems with these cars? things i should look out for??

the one im thinkin of gettin has ~10K miles, loaded with all options.

so any info u have, i'd much appreciate it, just lay it all on me..LOL

thanks
    Aj

2. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have no personal experiences. It's a lot of car, and the performance is pretty raw from all indication. I'm assuming quality isn't upto par with the price-tag, but it is one of those cars you get for performance alone and not neccessarily quality or refinement. I've always liked the looks. The engine has been in production for about 5 years when the GTS debuted in 96, and so i'd think they'd have worked the bugs out by then. As for other problems, i wouldn't know about them because my experience has been limited to drooling over them at past autoshows/meets.

Btw: I've seen a black SRT-10 viper on bush-lake rd on more 2 occassions. Figured he lived closer to your neck of the woods. That person may be knowledgable on the Vipers (past or present)...and so if you know who the owner is, they may be able to answer any question you may have.

3. 1 BAD BURB

1 BAD BURB Karting

Oct 14, 2004
    Minnetonka, MN
    Full Name:
    Aj ....
    actually, i haven't seen that SRT-10 at all... no one in my neighborhood seem to have fast cars... although, there is a guy with 2 vettes, another guy with an older 57/58 vette along with a ton of MB's...

im on Yukon Ave. not quite next to Bush lake, but im not sure, there could be some phat rides on that road...

P.S
    i sat in a viper last weekend, the interior fits me like a glove, i love it!! my only concern soo far is that the clutch/brake/gas pedal are literally like 1" apart! thats going to be tough gettin used to.. hit the clutch and brake at the same time... LOL
    Aj

4. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    I had a 2000 and loved it, grey stripe delete. i didnt drive it everyday, had it about a year and drove it 1000 miles. I'm not sure about an everyday driver. I guess it depends on where you live, i dont think it would be that good in the snow.

vince

5. Tom Larkins

Tom Larkins Formula Junior

Driven and considered buying. At 6'2" it could have offered more comfort but I wasn't buying as a daily driver. The thing I noticed at first was the length of the hood. You could land a jet on that thing and I could see some concerns locating the apex or dropping a wheel off the road. It would take some getting use too. If memory serves, most of the mech. issues had been solved at this point from the RT-10 gremlins, although the interior has some rattles that were never solved from what I remember. I would be concerned as a daily driver for sure if I was driving in a state that get snow plow action consistantly. Tires, you better gettem' warm or your gonna swap you arse end and they got a load of power. High HP ride, not so good re-sale. Give it some good thought.

6. 1 BAD BURB

1 BAD BURB Karting

Oct 14, 2004
    Minnetonka, MN
    Full Name:
    Aj ....
    im sorry, i forgot to mention, by daily driver, i meant for when there is no snow out... LOL for winter, i have my suburban...

im only 5'9" and i honestly feel that it fit me perfectly. at 6'2", i don't know how u fit? LOL... Tom, let me know what u decide, to buy or not...i'ld like to get a more real driver impression.

also, as far as price, i am gettin it way below its value... and most likely, i'll be keeping it for a while...

thanks for the thoughts
    Aj

7. the red one

the red one Karting

Dec 21, 2004
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Scott
    my dad had one...I think he liked it, but it wasnt practical. There was a "MotorTrend" article on buying used vipers; don't let your front hood get stolen, it costs $11,000 to replace. I think the valve seats wore out as well. Look at the panel fit, some were built better than others, but this is common with low production cars.

Also, if you happening to be commuting in heavy traffic, you should consider the size of that engine, and the amount of heat it produces. Overheating might become a problem in the summer months in stop and go traffic.

It is a bad ass car, with a lot of power, but lacks the refinement of say a BMW. The air conditioning vent is a hole by your knees, and the car smells of epoxy. My dad drives a 2003 Z06 every day, and he says it behaves better, and is just about as fast as his old 97 GTS.

8. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

There is a good website with many helpful owners, www.viperclub.org

I've never owned one, but some of the general comments I can make from my own research:
    1. Check for crash damage or evidence of track use. Many cars have been tracked, and several had off-road excursions while there. As I understand it these cars are a handful w/o ABS and w/prodigious power, many a novice owner put them into the weeds.

2. It is not uncommon to see salvage title Vipers that had fairly minor damage. The front clip is one piece and as someone said is over $10k. Aftermarket hoods are still $6-7k. Buying salvage of course saves money up front but also means less resale as well.

3. The early GTS had slightly stiffer suspension than later non-ACR versions. Some have said the 2000 and newer Vipers were "softer", although I'm sure that is a relative term.

4. There are people on the viperclub website that have huge mileage on their Vipers with basically zero problems. Even though it puts out big hp, the engine is still in a relatively mild state of tune. Somebody there has a Viper with over 110,000 miles, most of that as a 900hp turbo version. No problems.

5. Maintenance is much less than a Ferrari, or even Porsche for that matter. Change the belts and hoses. Change the oil. Drive.

6. Insurance for a Viper is probably as high as anything on the road. It was prohibitively expensive for me at 30 with a clean record in a rural town.

Good Luck!

9. JamieO

JamieO Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I had a '98 GTS. It wasn't a daily driver but there were a couple times where I was forced to use it as one for a few weeks at a time and all I can say is that it was fine. It obviously lacks the refinement of, lets say, a Z06 Vette but the car is not hard to drive. It has enough power that you could 1-3-5 shift it all day long and still be faster than most other cars out there, but that power does take some getting used too.

As mentioned above, the motor does make a lot of heat and with the exhaust pipes running right under the doors a lot of that heat finds its way into the cabin. Even with the windows down if you get stuck in some traffic you will begin to bake, make sure the A/C works well. Obviously you have to be very careful in the rain as the rearend will come around in a hurry.

I had a Lotus Esprit V8 before the Viper and the Viper was so much more comfortable. After 1/2 hour in the Lotus you were squirming around and couldn't wait to get out. I took the Viper on many trips to my lake house which is 2 hours from home and I was fine, I could have kept going all day!

Personally, I think you could buy one and drive it as much as you want. If you don't drive it it will only be because you don't want to take it to a certain place or you need a larger vehicle not because you can't drive it... you'll never get sick of it!! I had no problems at all with mine and the motors seem to be pretty bullet proof.

Good luck!

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Careful with the brakes. Early cars lacked ABS. In an emergency this can be a problem if you are not aware of it.

11. Ferruccio

Ferruccio Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2003
    olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan Gordon
    I have a 93 viper and I love it. I can't stop smiling when I drive it.

SJB is right about going to the Viper Club website. The Viper Club is a great car club and you should join before you get a Viper. So you can get more expert opinions.

Good luck!

Here are a couple of good links
    www.viperclub.org
    www.viperalley.com

12. 1 BAD BURB

1 BAD BURB Karting

Oct 14, 2004
    Minnetonka, MN
    Full Name:
    Aj ....
    thanks guys, thats just what im looking for..i need more driver feedback...

i have been searching thru viper forums, but since i am not an owner, i cannot log into a few of them...

thanks again guys, please keep the comments coming!
    Aj

13. Ferruccio

Ferruccio Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2003
    olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan Gordon
    You should be able to register you don't have to own a viper try E-mailing the administrator. Also you might want to try www.Viperalley.com .

You also might want to pick up a book: Vipers Buyer's Guide by Maurice Q. Liang. It is a very good book that tells you the ends and outs of buying a Viper.

For the money you can't find a more fun car IMHO. The Viper has great performance, great looks, is very reliable, insurance isn't that bad, and it responds very well to mods.

It's not a daily driver and IMO the interior sucks (not AS bad on the GTS). So if you want a Daily driver go with a Vette or a NSX.

With that said if you spent an hour or two just searching the Viper club you would get better answers. Try keywords like newbie, 96 GTS, or GEN II.

If you have a specific question I probably can answer it or find out the answer for you.
    Hope that helps,
    Dan

14. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    You've got an email with my contact info. I own a '96 GTS and have used it as a daily driver for the last 7 years. My email address is [email protected].

I hope that I can help answer all of your questions.

Brad

15. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've had a 96 GTS since new and have loved the car.
    No problems other than a couple factory fixes (check with the viperforum for a list).
    Only problems I could see as a daily driver would be the harsh suspension and parking the car, it draws a bit of attention which can be good and bad.

16. 1 BAD BURB

1 BAD BURB Karting

Oct 14, 2004
    Minnetonka, MN
    Full Name:
    Aj ....
    thanks guys, i've joined viper alley and another local MN forum...

seems like this car has a rock solid build. no big problems, minus the few recall issues...

i'm pretty sure i can handle that car as a DD...in fact, i look forward to it... lets keep our fingers crossed that i can get it...
    Aj

17. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    Kevin:

I agree with your comments. I have 48,000 miles on mine and it is pretty much bullet proof reliable.

The only thing that you should REALLY be concerned with is the car's outrageous performance. There is more torque in this car than anything on the street. If you are not alert, this car will bite you in the butt. There is no traction control, no ABS or any other features that will save you. This car is pure performance.

Two statistics that you might want to consider:
    - 15% of all Vipers that are bought new are returned to the dealership within 30 miles.
    - more than 40% of all Vipers produced have been totalled (and most of these in the first 90 days of ownership)

The magazine jockeys can talk all they want about HP, torque and top speed and acceleration numbers. They will tell you that their BMW M and their 360's will hang and wallop Vipers in their sleep. These bozos are full of poop. The difference that makes the Viper unique are cubic inches... What does that mean? It means that in order to hit the torque curve of these F-cars and Bimmers, you need to get the motor revved up to 3,500+ rpms before anything kicks in. That leaves you with a very easy going and manageable car under 3,500 rpm (which can be driven as easyas a Honda Accord).

In the Viper the torque curve starts at 900 rpm (we are talking about 490 lb-ft of torque at the wheels) and pulls very strong to 5,400 rpm (despite the fact that the redline is 6,000 rpm). The bottom line difference is that there is no low end forgiving mode to this car. It is in GO mode all of the time. Because of this huge amount of torque, the a$$ end of these cars tend to come out very easily... too easily.

You need to really examine your driving style and determine whether or not you can drive with restraint and be alert (versus driving using your lower brain and spend most of your time drinking coffee and talking on your cell phone). If your style is more like the latter, then I wouldn't recommend a Viper as a daily driver. If you are someone who enjoys the entire driving experience and having a car that demands your attention and skill, then the Viper would be a great car for you. Most Viper owner have no clue how to drive their cars and are split between are wine and cheese snobs and dyno jockeys. Case in point is how do you explain how a bone stock Viper can drive around a road course at a faster clip than many heavily modified Vipers and Competition Coupes?

If your intent is to build a straight line street machine, I wouldn't recommend a Viper. There are idiots who build 1,200 HP street cars that can't break 10 seconds in the 1/4 mile (because they haven't a clue how to drive the car nor have they invested a proportional amount of money and sense into the suspension sand chassis)... but man do they dyno great!

I would also highly recommend that you commit yourself to attend at least a couple track driving schools to learn how to handle and drive a Snake. You need to understand what this car does at its limits and how it feels. If you want a forgiving car that performs well, I would recommend that you go out and buy a Z06 Corvette or a 996 Porsche. The Viper is a beast and is a handful to say the least.

This car is not about interior amenities and luxury... it is about pure performance. I doubt if very many people here could dispute this. To my Southern Cal Ferrari neighbors, you are more than welcome to see what a Viper performs like first hand.

I hope that his sheds some light on Viper ownership.

18. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Hi Brad,

How are you? Hope all is well with you and your family. I will tell you honestly, there is no American car that really tickles my fancy. I don't really like Corvettes or any other American cars. Now that my bias is out of the way, I commend you on your honesty about the Viper. It is much nicer to hear from a real owner and enthusiast than from some 16 year old internet bench racer.

The Viper is one American car, that I would love to own. However, I have shied away from them because of the astronomical insurance costs (which is explained by the total # of loss that you mention in your post). Nonetheless, insurance aside, the Viper is truly a beast.

Though I prefer much balanced sports cars (nsx/993 TT S), I think the Viper brings a different flavor to the equation. Like you said, gobs of torque and cubic inches. That is definitely the charm of the car. True bruttishness. I think the raw power the car delivers, not many other sports cars can even match that. Certainly is a bare bones hands full kind of a car, and I think that really taps into some of us adrenaline junkies.

I would ask you, how much are the 96 GTS' going for nowadays? I assume these cars are done depreciating? Could you also let us know a bit about the maintenance costs that you have incurred? How often do you go through tires? How much are the belt services? Any kind of maintenance figures from you would help us and give us a better glimpse of true ownership. I have no love loss for the RT10 with the ridiculous top, which looks like a bad hair piece from a 45 year old guy in Newport Beach. I am though interested in the gts coupes.

Also Brad, how do you deal with the hot interior as some of the other posters mentioned? I know So Cal has serious gridlock, do you notice your car overheating as some others mentioned? What would you say may be some of the known problems of the car, aside from owners abusing them?

Are you going to be around the Feb 18-21 weekend? If so, I would like to come down and check out the car and see what it is like on day to day basis and hear from you live. If so, you have my email, or send me a PM. Thanks.

-Ryan

19. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    #19 G-force, Jan 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    great cars. I put 73000 trouble-free miles on mine.
    car was heavily modified. I put 123-15 lb bottles of nitrous through the motor
    with a stock bottom end. Bullet-proof engines.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    I have owned my 2000 gts for 2 or so years. I would say it could easily be used as a daily driver, just it might be uncomfortable. It might be in what comfort level you want. About the torque/hp I have owned porsches, corvettes, and a 348ts, the first time I drove the viper out of the dealers parking lot, it scared the crap out of me. It takes some time to get used to or it will bite you in the butt. Great car, lots of fun. If you have the means, I highly suggest you pick one up.

Plus you can still get a DC warranty on a 96.

good luck!

john

21. 1 BAD BURB

1 BAD BURB Karting

Oct 14, 2004
    Minnetonka, MN
    Full Name:
    Aj ....
    hey guys
    again, i appreciate all the help and advice.

Viper 10: u have almost completely made me believe that the Viper is the car for me. though im young, 23, i ma not the typical "kid" racer... i have self control and am not a stupid driver... i have a 01' Gix 750 rocket...now, even on that, i have a lot of self control... as far as being a competant mechanic, we let me just put it this way, i have a 96 chevy suburban, and it puts down 480ish hp and 550 tq...it has a full sound/video system. i've done all the work myself, along with maintenence an what not...so i can safely say, i think i can work on the GTS if something happen...

if i cannot get the viper, then a 99' LPE vette will be the backup.. that car is done up pretty nicely too...like u said, a easier DD...

but come april/march, i will find out more info on the car.. i'll keep ya'll posted!

thanks again, truly appreciate the comments!
    AJ

22. 1 BAD BURB

1 BAD BURB Karting

Oct 14, 2004
    Minnetonka, MN
    Full Name:
    Aj ....
    ohh, i forgot to mention, i don't really care for interior accessories and what not, this car will be strictly the for enjoyment of driving/track use... i have the truck if i want music and comfort, etc....

thanks again..
    Aj

23. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The factory stereo in mine kicks.
    A hell of a lot better than the crap radio in my 360.

24. ciao baby

ciao baby Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2004
    DC<---> MB
    Full Name:
    Michael Karagiannis
    We had a 2002 gts final edition that I adored and drove the snot out of for 2 years. Sold it last August (make room in garage) and I have regretted it ever since. Car has ungodly torque, relatively cheap to mod, great looks, interior and handling is nowhere near as bad as its reputation the interior can be dressed up easily and the handling can be upgraded by upgrading the shocks. The most Automotive fun you can have for fewer than 100k bar none. I would recommend getting one with ABS and not an early GTS unless you wish to add forced injection. In any case I cannot recommend the wizardry of Jason Heffner enough once you pick up the viper.

I miss her dearly

link to a few pics of old red

http://hq.mkgcs.com/photos/default.aspx?a=4

25. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    cool looking cars, actually. I do prefer the NEWER body style though.
    When I first got my 348 Turbo home, I ran with one, (maybe a 1997 or so?), around I-240 here in Memphis. I have no way to tell if he was all the way on the throttle, (I was), but the 348 turbo beat him, (an older Viper). He sounded cool as I passed by. Very nice effort put forth too...