Those Who Have Financed - How Much Have You Put Down? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Those Who Have Financed - How Much Have You Put Down?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ghost, Jan 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    If I use a bank's money to buy anything, I let them pay for EVERYTHING. Zero down. Nada. Zilcho. If you're going to use someone else's money, don't use THEIR money and YOUR money. Use THEIR money. Otherwise, what's the point?

That said, I hate debt, so I don't do car loans anymore.

2. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    :D - Sure, if you knew you'd be able to earn an AFTER-TAX rate of return that exceeds your cost of money for the duration of the loan, it'd make all the sense in the world. Problem is, you never know. So I'll use a little of mine, and lot of theirs, to hedge myself.

Truth be told, I hate debt too. Hmmm, maybe I'll just wait.

3. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    There's one more option which I haven't seen shown here, so I'll throw it out there. When I bought my Diablo, my bank gave me a loan using the car as primary collateral and my house as secondary collateral. Benefits are a fixed rate (unlike home equity) but because there's a lien filed on the house, the interest is still tax deductible like a home equity loan. I put enough down on the loan that if something horrible happened and the bank had to sell the car, it would bring enough to cover the loan (counting depreciation) and not jeopardize my house. Seems like an all-around win.

4. nickdtm

nickdtm Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    FWIW, I believe Capital One offers up to $100k now on their auto loans.

5. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I went with JJ Best. Easy loan for any year/make/model car, so I didn't have to find one less than 7 years old to obtain financing. I had to put 15-20% down, though. Payments were fixed, no floating interest rates.

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Thanks for the input Michael. Will check them out.

7. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I just refinanced, previously had 2 loans, one was a home equity line. Its rate has been going up by about 0.1% each month for over a year, and just surpased my regular loan (went to 5.4%), so I rolled them together. They will keep going up.
    I'm looking to finance a toy, and a fixed rate would be great, especially if I could get 4.5%!!!

8. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Vik,

Did you ever figure out who was offering the best loans?

9. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    At the time I believe it was Capital One, but that was just on the basis of a quick search. Check with your local Credit Union if you have one, and/or have the big boys (Chase, Wachovia, BoA, etc., etc.) compete against each other.

When the big boys compete - you win. - ;)

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I put 20K down on a 34K 308

11. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I guess it depends on what kind of payment you want, and how long you want it for. I personally hate payments. Say you get a 3 year loan, a lot of things can happen in that time, and your money might be tied up in those payments.
    Just a thought.
    Jim