The return of the Dino? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The return of the Dino?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by WJHMH, Jun 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should Ferrari reintroduce the Dino?

1. Yes!

2. No!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. etomcat

etomcat Karting

Jul 6, 2004
    Hungary
    Full Name:
    Tamas Feher
    Ferrari should make a new car model, one tier below the 430. Indeed a light, 6-cyl neo-Dino would be ideal. Something like 75kUSD or maybe 50k ECU priced. Why?

- If an entity becomes too elite and looses its touch with the masses it will fail or be toppled sooner than later that's what history suggests. Ferrari has been focusing too narrowly on the super-riches. What if the popular opinion about celebs and showing riches changes sometime and buying a mega-giga-sportscar will only earn you spits on the windscreen? Current Ferrari Spa would be in big trouble.

Already, some corporate bosses in Europe are buying a VW Phaeton as a luxury car because that one looks like an ordinary VW Passat on the outside and thus it does not offend the workers (you know, outsourcing lay-offs, merger realted jobcuts, etc.)

Having a smaller "more humane" Ferrari offering could help in such a situation.

- Also, the loss of diversity weakens any organization. Current Ferraris are big, bigger and huge engines. Current Ferrari model lines are fulfilling obsolete expectations. If the 600 engine will not sound exactly like the 550, it will not sell. Ferrari denies itself a chance to have some freedom in experimenting with new technologies in a smaller, brand new roadcar, one without prejudice.

- By resurrecting the Dino, Ferrari could help FIAT, which is in big trouble right now. If FIAT collapses, Ferrari will disappear. In todays merger-reality you are either part of a zaibatsu, in the process of being acquired by a zaibatsu or you'll simply evaporate.

FIAT has its own sports coupe (the strange one with two big scars on each side) and a barchetta that looks like a soapbox, but those are not making big impact in the public eye. Some Ferrari touch is needed here.

2. etomcat

etomcat Karting

Jul 6, 2004
    Hungary
    Full Name:
    Tamas Feher
    Another reason to reintroduce the Dino would be the desire to cut back on the replica fever. I mean 50% of the world's Fiero population has already been converted to faux Testarossas. Renault transaxles and Rover engines are in hot demand and hundreds of P4s roam the globe but only 3 or 4 of them is real. People want FERRARIS but can't even dream to buy one of the current models and used ones are very costly to run. They don't even have hope to be able to buy one some day.

I think the replica fever hurts Ferrari more than the Neodino could ever hurt, if at all.

3. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt Karting

Jul 31, 2004
    Ferraris are IMO ridiculously priced.

I'm getting the feeling the 430 comes in at USD$200,000?

In other markets, you can expect about double that in real terms when additional taxes are included.

This is something like what the average person would earn in almost a decade.

I'm not saying that Ferrari should cheapen to the level of a German car but one must ask if a 430 is worth twice a 997.

Did the Dino 'soil' the Ferrari image? It's almost insulting to say that a car named after a man's dead son somehow cheapens a marque with their family namesake!

Doesn't that sound ridiculous? It's a Dino by Ferrari.

A new Dino at a lower pricepoint than a 997 would revitalise the marque.

Ferraris are 'happy' cars - not the elitish sort of cars that people sneer at.

T.

4. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    and as I'm told, the dealer's charged Ferrari prices for servicing...

/Peter

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    These are all excellent points! My thought is that ever since the original Dino series, Ferrari has always had a lightweight sports car to go with the big V12's. The lightweight car was also somewhat more reasonably priced and became the "entry level" Ferrari. The 430 is now so big, heavy and expensive, that it no longer qualifies as a lightweight, "entry level" Ferrari. It's more like a mid-level Ferrari. There is no entry level anymore. To suggest that entry level would cheapen them in my opinion is nonsense. Even an entry level Ferrari is going to be at least $100K, so it is still plenty exclusive. BMW doesn't seem to have any trouble maintaining their "high end" status selling 7 series cars while they stamp out a zillion 3 series cars which actually look better!

Birdman

6. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    There will never be an entry level Ferrari because the price would start at $150k anyway so I wouldn't call it entry level as a house could be bought for the equivalent sum.
    However, we in this part of the world are still dreaming of having the US or European price tag as we have to pay 100-200% tax on our cars.

7. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The 430 is the evolution of the Dino, so they still make one,

The high pricing of new Ferraris is due to our weak dollar.

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Weak? It is nearly dead but no one has provided the certificate. Shhh... do not want to alter the average American's idea of the US economy.

FYI: USA exports are severely and seriously low compared to imports. One would hope the highly devaluated USD would have turned this around a bit, yet it appears not to be so.

My apologies if this sounded like a thread jack :(

9. Fede Ferrari

Fede Ferrari Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Fede García
    With the arrival of the new year, we contact you to press your opinion.

For one decade, we are attending the successive presentations on the part of Ferrari, of new and interesting models, with a power and a technological sophistication of first order... but, with the time we have formulated ourselves several questions: Are they really amusing of driving these new models of the Cavallino? Up to where the one will arrive does it limit of power of the future Ferrari? Is there a direct relationship between power and pleasure in the sport conduction? That sensations transmit the new Ferrari?

At the present time the basic pattern of Maranello, the F430, develops a power of 490CV and it has a series of help to the conduction that they make it a really very sophisticated vehicle, but maybe a little boring for the authentic lovers of the sport conduction, for we want to think about it a question, to know your opinion in this respect and to know if you would like that Ferrari thought of the possibility of offering to its clients, a new vehicle sport type V6, with a simple technology and without help that it developed a maximum of among 250 at 300CV and it was so amusing and it transmitted the driver the same sensations that I eat in its day offered the Dino 246GT or the 308 GTB.

This question takes it pulsing for some time among many followers and we have decided to carry out this survey, to know your opinion in this respect, so much if you are possessors of a Ferrari as if not. The result to favor or in against, we will make it arrive to the Section of Design and Development of Product of Maranello, and we are sure that it will be they of great help and a good reference for them knowing first hand, the opinion of the followers of Ferrari from all over the world, when thinking about the design of model futures.

Simply answer us that you find the idea... if you are to favor or against the possibility that Ferrari carries out a new Dino. The answer has to send it to the electronic mail: [email protected] and you have of time up to January 30 the 2005.

This survey is carried out at world level through the subscribers of our Web: www.elenaferrari.net and of different Clever and followers' of Ferrari Chats.

A cordial greeting and I wait your participation.
    Fede García
    Web Site: Fede Ferrari...
    www.elenaferrari.net

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

#85 SrfCity, Jan 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Toolfan2

Toolfan2 Karting

Jan 13, 2005
    Washington State
    Those look like excellent sketchs, I wonder how much the cars look will change by the time they get out a prototype?

12. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I think the guy was just playing around and this is his interpretation of how it should look today.........

13. Toolfan2

Toolfan2 Karting

Jan 13, 2005
    Washington State
    That is what you meant. I thought you were talking about Ferrari is actually making a new Dino.

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Maybe it's just me, but all I see is an OLD dino with flush glasswork and alloy wheels

15. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    the rear quarterpanel reminds me of a 360/430.

john

16. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    It needs to be more modern. Ferrari is never a retro car...not even the 612 is retro IMHO. This sketch is nothing more than old Dino drawing to me.

17. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The old Dino had alloy wheels as well. These look like little more than caricature drawings of the 246GT. Not at all impressive IMO. The artist didn't even bother with a modern bumper solution and, instead, just carried over the 1960s/1970s chrome bumperettes.

18. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Well IMO I think the sketches look lovely and if they were to reintroduce Dino I'll be on the list definitely.

19. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

Chrome bumpers on a 2006+ car.....don't think so !!
    Keep sketching.

20. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I can appreciate the sketch, but only as a karikature of the Dino. As Wayne stated earlier.

21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    apart from the wheels and the rear arches i dont see that much new lines..

22. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    It looks pretty much like the old Dino. There should be some modern styling add to it. The wheels are pretty modern...

23. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Karting

Sep 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Read on autocar magazine that ferrari are building a new Ferrari Dino to be an entry level sports car. Anyone go any news, spy shots etc?

24. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
  25. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Karting

Sep 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Thanks gilles,
    I thought it will be discussed, but could not locate the thread then.
    Ok, I will proceed to that thread. :)