Anyone going to Winton on Sat? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone going to Winton on Sat?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by stephens, Jan 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    For what it's worth, www.pless.com.au/FIORANO.HTM

2. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Francis is the ONLY person ever to get into the 1.34's in a 355 at Winton. This is also faster than any road 360's time. It helps if you can leave your sense of self preservation in the pits LOL.

3. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I'm talking for a true comparison.
    You cannot compare a 355CH with a 550 street car. That is as silly as comparing the 550 Race car in full Le Mans trim with the 355CH.
    Anyway, I found my answer, Schuey has done a 1.28.5, which is 4.5 seconds faster than the 355. With slicks, I reckon it would give the 355CH a run for its money. I take back my previous comment about comparing the 355CH and the 550, it may not be so silly after all.
    Well Peter, I'd better learn how to drive the thing properly and put it to the test!

4. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    here's a tip for you....give up NOW!

Actually, it might be a close call at PI. The one I drove there was very slow onto the straight (my fault) but ended up being 20kph faster by the end of the straight. (compared to my 355) I know my speedo's accurate, don't know about the 550.

5. AHG

AHG Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    355F1....1.33
    355CH....1.25

Can Peter or Scott comment on why the 355CH is 8-9 seconds faster?

That is amazing!

6. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yep. Because I think a lot of the times are a marketing exercise. Having said that, let me say this....the 355CH as tested was stripped out, on slicks and had a wing. Also, a different driver. (whatever that might do, I have no idea) btw...there is no way in hell that a 360 is as fast as an F40. There have been surface and layout changes over the years.

7. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Slicks and big brakes will give most cars up to 10% reduction in lap time, depending on track of course.

And I do think a 360 is faster than an F40 in most uses involving corners. Infinitely better chassis and brakes, power is only just below and torque is all on tap instantly. Traction is light years better than an F40 too.

F40 are great, but 360 are technically superior

8. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    NEVER!!!!

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yeah, whatever you reckon. Me in F40 on 15 year old technology tyres 1.50 day in, day out...not even pushing. Scott in 360 on hooiser on new surface, same lap time.

10. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    haha...that's good to hear, really.

11. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Bloody Ferrari drivers, as bad as Ducati owners. Winton cancelled due to lack of interest. Never happens on a P car or Superbike et al ride day.

12. AHG

AHG Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It may not be cancelled yet...
    I have just spoken to our President and I have offered to underwrite the event...(not damage to people or cars!!!)
    They are worried about the lack of entries received (5-6) and I suggested a ring around. Can anyone help here.
    There are always those that just turn up on the day, depending on the weather etc.

PS: Stephen, you were voted in as a FCA member at our last National Committee meeting. Welcome!

13. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Thanks Andrew
    I emailed carl earlier, I can get a few heads together myself to keep the event on, at least 3.

14. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    1.50 in an F40 at PI is not a fair comparison, the extra 75 BHP over a 360 it has there is an abnormal advantage to quote. And Scott did a 1.48 in his 360 road car anyway..... Yes I know he went off after the line but the time counts!

What did you do in your F40 at Winton, Calder and Sandown........Or any other track you went to.

15. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Gee...sorry. I didn't know you wanted me to be so specific. So, not a fair comparison because?? Yet, with the 100hp extra of a 550 over a 355 it IS a fair comparison? Winton was the old track, and I don't remember the time. Calder I did a 1.03....easily. I don't think you're really taking into account that hooisers would be worth an easy 5 seconds a lap anywhere with that car.

Scott told me himself that he did 1.50..maybe you're right, maybe he's right. Either way, his car is lowered, had track pads and hoosiers. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here. I know what's what. Clearly, you don't. Scott was trying hard enough to cause him to spin, much to his surprise, because he was trying to match the time he got with his 355 (he couldn't)....where I was just cruising....nothing else ever came close back then. Stop arguing. You're wrong again.

16. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    sterrrrrrrrrr RIKE!!

How easy was that!!?? FIGJAM!

You need some aromatherapy and a foot massage, I'm sure you can get it in your neighbourhood....

17. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Wake up, Phil. You're dreaming. You've never been right about anything yet, have you? What are you referring to, btw?

18. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    I've been pretty regular... What performance are you comparing the 550s to? Can't see how you can compare any of the purpose built track cars like the 360CH, Michellottos or a 355CH on slicks/Hoosiers to a 550 on road tyres. So look at the Calder times at the last meet. My 550 was the fastest road-tyre shod car and I was just "cruising" to use PP's words. If you put slicks and get Allan steering the 550, I reckon it would give the 360CHs a good run for their money especially if you got rid of 150KG from the bumpers, interiors and exhausts.

Until the Club allows any car to run on slicks then we will NEVER know what a 550 will do against the other cars for a FTD. The current club rules have been changed I understand so that if you want to stick a cage in a 550 you can run slicks but who wants to do that?

19. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You can always put hoosiers on it and see what happens. (hopefully they won't blow up) I got a high 67 in my boxer on "R" tyres at calder, btw. V12s haven't come very far, have they?

Calder and PI are the only tracks where a 550 would stand a chance against the lighter more nimble V8s anyway, I think. They are WAY fast!

20. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Syd
    Not that I'm aware of - the only cars that can run slicks on FCA track days are those that ".... were built by, or commisioned by, Ferrari for competition use.........." - or words to that effect.

John

21. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    New rules allow slicks with a cage.

22. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    This was changed recently but it really doesn't make sense. The FTD cars will always be the purpose built track cars. I was told the reason for this is that the club doesn't want people to spend $$$ to go to the track and get a FTD. But look at the current situation with pure track cars and exotics that arrive on transporters. How does the current rule reduce the $$$ and encourage all members to go to track days?

As I see it there are two options. Have track days where it's just laps, no timing, people can run whatever they like, put whatever tyres they want on, or just have class competitions - track cars and road cars, and get rid of the FTD as the major award for the day.

23. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Aren't those new rules for non ferraris only (because we needed numbers and the Porsche boys wanted slicks) ? You're right about the race cars spoiling the spirit of the day, but they've got the right to do it, and they seem to enjoy it, so that's the main thing. I've always been one for "drive there, drive back" kind of thing.

FTD will always be the main event. There are class trophies but, with so many variations in models and years and performance now, it's very hard to make fair performance based classes.

Also, don't forget that, since we got rid of the idiot, Winston's made the days much more enjoyable by giving us an almost endless number of laps until 2pm, with just a coupld of hours of timing after that.

I have no complaints about the track events, but one thing is for sure, I'm never going to win FTD again, and I really don't mind.

24. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    wow...I am truly amazed at this. From Winton Supp Regs...

20.2 General:
    20.2.1 Tyres: Slicks are permitted with an approved rollcage. Tyres must be road legal, i.e. minimum tread depth of 1.6 mm. Tyres not complying will not be permitted for the event.

25. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    For info - Extract from FCA "Approved" Supp Regs
    No reason these can't be varied for local situations I guess, but they must apply at National Rallies.

20.3.4 Tyres: Slicks or similar race tyres are banned for this event. Tyres must be road legal, i.e. minimum tread depth of 1.6 mm. Tyres not complying will not be permitted for the event. Tyres may be checked by an official prior to or during any session. Tyres not complying with these regulations will not be permitted on to the circuit. However on any car built or commissioned by Ferrari primarily for competition appropriate competition tyres may be used. (355Challenge cars excepted.) Metal valve caps must be used.