How much horsepower do you need in your sports car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How much horsepower do you need in your sports car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by scycle2020, Jan 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    well said, f1 cars have only 300ft-lbs of torque...

2. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Yes, I did leave gearing out of my post, which is why we calculate horsepower in the first place ... but since this thread seemed, to me at least, to be about the "feeling of acceleration", I figured a more appropriate power number would be the torque figure.

Bill in Brooklyn

3. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    All that matters is that you have more hp than the guy your racing. ;)

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    .............................enough power to ALWAYS require judicious application in ALL circumstances.

5. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

110 HP from an S2? Even with a Gordini that's optimistic; you must have done some custom work on it. Factory claimed 88 HP. They are lighter however than a TC if more cramped for the feet. I considered an S2 but decided the TC was just a better overall car. Plus I liked the power.

My TC is mostly stock with a few upgrades and no emissions, so I estimate I'm making a little more than the 117 HP factory. I can get 0-60 under 7 seconds which was plenty quick for the day if nothing special today. S2's are a tick or three slower, but still very fun cars.

Ken

6. Robbin

Robbin Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    NY
    I really agree with the points on balance and light weight. Recently at bondurant our entire class was again amazed at how much more fun--and quicker--the old, beat up formula fords were than the vette's which clearly had more grunt. That said on the street torque--i.e. a snappy delivery-- is hard to duplicate for grins and for "adjusting" the car in slow corners!

7. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    What!!!! That's crazy :) 800-900hp with 300lb-ft, makes me feal a little better about my NSX having 225!!!
    I'll remember that next time I see a viper or vette :)

8. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I dont know about that. Look at the Enzo. It weighs near what a viper does. Has less torque but more horsepower and it will absolutely kill a viper in the quarter. There are too many factors other than torque which determine QT time. But torque is a good indicator.

9. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I need enough horsepower to get to 60 in about 3.5 seconds and cover the Qt in about 11.5. Thats feels fast enough. Whatever the weight is will determine how much power I need.

10. Tuco

Tuco Karting

Mar 10, 2004
    Texas
    I bet their 60 ft times are close. but the extra hp in the enzo allows it to run away on the top end where hp really comes into play.

11. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    true that.

12. Tuco

Tuco Karting

Mar 10, 2004
    Texas
    I need just enough HP to keep the woman out of the car ; )
    Alan I just sent you an e-mail

13. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    For a 3200-3500 pound street car, 500hp is bare minimum, 600hp is nice, but I think right now I would like about 700-750hp. Hmmm...the new RWD Murcielago in 2006 (based on the R-GT) should fit the bill...yeah baby, YEAH!

I hear what you guys are saying about the other facets of a sports car, but why not have more power if it's available? Sure, 99% of the time you won't use it, but for those times when you do...very nice. The Enzo wouldn't be nearly as much fun if it wasn't 660hp. Sure, a Lotus Elise is fun, but why not the Exige Sport? Same weight & similar car, but 400hp instead of 180hp. Nice. It's not available for public consumption yet, but it's bound to be released at some point.

14. phong69

phong69 Karting

Aug 17, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Phong Nguyen
    ...because it has more HP which is based on TQxRPMx some constant. I don't know what number would be adequate. My 97 Viper GTS has about 630+ at the crank right now and I got used to it kind of quick. I just sent it off to Heffner Performance to get a Paxton supercharger place which should bring it to around 1000hp at the crank. From what I hear, that may be "too much" power if others I have spoke to with similar setups are spinning their 335 Pilots at over 90 mph. I guess I'll soon find out.

15. vrus

vrus Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    Victor
    It's a very simple answer... You need the maximum horsepower that you can efficiently put down to the ground for your particular platform. Gobs of power is useless unless you can get it to the pavement. That being said, more power than what your platform can handle is only good for 1 thing: burning up tires. :)

I see it all the time... Guys with 800hp rear drive cars getting beaten on by 450hp cars because they just can't put the power down. It's pretty embarassing when you brag to everyone that you are packing 800hp and then get walked all over by a "slower" car.

16. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    My Tony cart has 50HP. It's more than enough. It's quicker than the Modena with 395hp. 0 to 60 in less than 4 seconds. It's all about the weight vs. HP.

Art

17. phong69

phong69 Karting

Aug 17, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Phong Nguyen
    Come on, "all the time". I agree it's very driver dependent especially from a dig but from a 40 mph roll, no way. I don't advocate street racing but if you know your car, you will not lose.

18. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Horsepower will dictate what speed you hit the wall.

Torque will dictate how far you move the wall.

19. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

Now THAT'S the best description of HP and torque ever!!!!

Ken

20. doma

doma Karting

Dec 1, 2004
    Belmont, CA
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    How about 280hp in the Elise? (280 crank ... dynos at 250 to the wheels)

I had the very good fortune to ride in a turbo modded Elise in Livermore, CA last month. Wild.
    0-60 in the 3's and 0-100 in the bottom 9 second range. It was _scary_ fast. Here's my writeup on another forum...

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9260

Probably more HP than I need since I don't track it. (The turbo elise was someone else's ... mine is stock with 192HP)

Can you rate 'how much horsepower do I need' by a weight/HP ratio? If so then this setup was a 7. (1950lbs / 280HP) ... and I think a 7, in a lotus, ferrari, or any sports car, is a little more than I need.

Enzo weight / HP is about 4.5 I think. (3000lbs / 660HP)

-doma

21. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Yeah, Custom AL Chevy 350 V8. My sister's Viper is all that but cost much more. I love driving the Z to work having people mistake it for a Ferrari at the gas station.

22. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)

I don't know much about the Elise, other than i like the styling, and the auto mag reports are quite favorable...BUT, after reading about the engine in the rear, etc, i did wonder just how difficult it would be to stuff in a 328 motor and make it all work...would be an interesting experiment...be the first on my block to have a Lotus 328 Elise :)

23. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Just give me the Ariel Atom please. :)

24. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I want more horsepower and torque than I can use.

I never want to be able to top out my cars.

25. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Had this discussion with a Ferrari dealer, who has personally owned a string of F-cars. He went from a 328 to a 348 to a 355 and then back to a 328, for a time. The rationale was that he could pretty well wring the 328 out on public roads (I'd guess when other cars weren't around...) while with the newer cars he could never go more than 4/10ths.

If you track your car, this argument doesn't hold up, but for street use it seems like there's a sweet spot where you can leave everyone behind at the stoplight, but where you also use the power band in every gear. So, after the first 300 horses, economists would say we get diminishing marginal fun, if you buy that argument.

Jon