Maserati reliability? | FerrariChat

Maserati reliability?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by MikeAR303, Feb 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A close friend of mine is looking into picking up one of the new Maserati Coupes and was asking me what I knew of their reliability... which happens to be absolutely nothing.

I know some of you here have them and/or know about them... so I figured I'd ask.

How reliable are they? Would it be realistic to think that one could be used on a pretty regular basis without any major problems? How expensive are they to maintain once they are out of warranty?

2. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I've been around these cars since the re-introduction in the Spring of '02 and have yet to see a "major" failure. Lots of people I know use them as daily transportation but I have yet to see one that is out of warranty (four years/50,000 miles) So buyer beware...
    Although the Cambiocorsa transmission is a $4k upgrade and has been nearly bullet-proof, I was quite amazed at the difference in residuals for a GT vs Cambiocorsa. The GT holds a higher residual years down the road (although no one wants a GT)...I specualte this translates into lending institutions being afraid of the servicing costs associated with the gearbox.

3. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    No one wants a GT? I could have had my pick of the Cambio's available but had to order and wait 5 months due to wanting a 2004 GT. Traded my M3 SMG cause I missed foot/arm shifting. As for reliability my car has not had one single issue since I picked up on April 1st and drove every single day until I put away for winter last month. the whole time I was driving my M3 I was waiting for engine to blow up and did get the recall to rebuild it right after I traded it. My Porsche Boxster S had 4 trips back to dealership for problems in one year of owning. I would rate my spyder as very reliable

4. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    Scott, I didn't mean to offend you, the GT is a very nice automobile but the reason you saw so many Cambiocorsas was the fact that close to 90% of Maserati's production is done using the CC. Ferrari has very similar numbers.

5. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    My one data point...my only experience is with my 1 car, and it has been bullet proof.

I have 10K miles on mine. The car has not used a drop of oil, I have not encountered a single mechanical problem.

I have had a few niggles with the Cambiocorsa software, but that has now been resolved to my satisfaction via free upgrades applied under warranty. So the car is even better now, than it was when I first got it.

I would recommend the car.
    Good luck to your friend!

Best
    - Jon

6. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Jon,

Did you receive a software update that 'fixed' the power loss problem? I haven't gone back to my dealer, but thought I heard someone state that there is a new update available. I wondered if it addressed the problems you and I noticed last summer.

Brad

7. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Nothing to do with the servicing of the gearbox. The residual is a higher percentage on the GT vs CC because the GT is cheaper. That sounds strange but I found that the residuals on high end leased cars (at least with Chase) have a maximum value and are not based strictly on a percent of MSRP the way most other leases are. In other words getting more options (like a CC gearbox or anything else) that makes the car more expensive results in a lower residual relative to MSRP. You end up paying over the lease period the full cost for all options, not just the depreciated percent. The best deal is a base model. I think banks are doing this because in the end the cars will auction for about the same price regardless of options.

8. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    But is this what the buying public wants? It seems Maserati and Ferrari our making mostly F1 style cars but whenever I see polls on different car sites about the different transmitions it seems the third pedal option always wins. Maserati offering me the GT was why I gave up on waiting for the new M5 which will only be available with SMG. Now like BMW it seems Maserati future models may only have Cambio, Will Ferrari go that way also? In the end I think my GT will do a little better in resale when I decide to sell because there will be people who want the stick, but like you say 90% of the cars will not have one

9. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I'm sure when Ferrari decided to use the F1 gearbox in the 355 it was seen as a great marketing tool that could be used to sell more Ferraris to people who did not wish to always shift gears. In the years that followed, the demand was so great that when Maserati was re-introduced to N. America it just had to have it's own version and by the sales figures it would certainly prove they made the right decision.
    I'm not saying the GT is completely void of an audience, in fact, I think Maserati would do better if they made a true automatic available, make the six-speed manual the base option and completely do away with the Corsa gearbox. (I don't want to open up can of worms, so let's talk about another time:))

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    So far so good. 12K on mine.

11. barbuckle

barbuckle Rookie

Aug 21, 2004
    Sorry to interrupt the stream of good luck stories but I feel I must offer the following in respect of a 2002 cambiocorsa purchased last June with 19000 miles, for daily use (good news is I now have something closer to a 2004 model, with 25K on the clock!):-

Serious Stuff:
    - Skyhook suspension ecu failure ( new ecu fitted at no cost),
    - Cambiocorsa gearbox pump failure (new pump fitted at no cost),
    - clutch replaced despite low wear indication from diagnostics (which lie!) (dealer shared the cost of fitting new two-tang clutch).

Other "lesser" evils (all repaired under warranty):
    - wiper relays faulty(dealer fitted a new wiper motor)
    - Rubber gaiter around indicator stalk kept popping out
    - One bulb in the hi-level brake light faulty
    - paintwork "blemishes"
    - Annoying rattling noise from drivers door/window (a common problem? - dealer adjusted the mechanism)
    - Carbon trim on passenger door loose(new trim fitted)
    - Alarm triggered by moderate rain-fall (later type of sensors fitted)
    - fuel flap sticking-shut(dealer repaired - twice!)

You really do want a warranty - I am hoping I do not have cause to use mine again!

12. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K
    I also prefer a Manny Tranny.
    Scott i sent you a PM.
    Please respond when you have some time. Thanks.

13. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    One reason the GT holds more value down the road could be the fact that a failure of the CC tranny after the warranty runs out would be a real kick in the head. I waited until I found the right GT before I bought my Spyder, CC is interesting but give me the 3rd pedal.

14. ciao baby

ciao baby Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2004
    DC<---> MB
    Full Name:
    Michael Karagiannis
  15. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Michael,
    Maybe it's just me but the pictures of you driving the car in an autocross event would scare me away. If I'm you, lose the pics. You did get the best color.

16. ciao baby

ciao baby Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2004
    DC<---> MB
    Full Name:
    Michael Karagiannis
    Point taken.
    But to me there is little use getting a performance car if it never gets driven how it was meant to be driven. The car is alsways garaged and never even ut away wet. The car one first place at a all itailan car concourse after I autocrossed her. no chips dings etc. (tape job works wonders). The car was driven by the wife 98% of the time and for the few times I took it out it has been well documented at local regional events. I certainly have nothing to hide on the car. it looks and drives as good if not better than it did when we took her home. Car is also in an upcomming Tekademics video documenting a fun run that I took the car out in. For the 40% depreciation I will be taken on the car at least it can be said that we had a lot of fun in her. The new owner will get a great car at a great price.

///MK

17. Maseroche

Maseroche Karting

Aug 10, 2004
    Bahrain
    Full Name:
    Khalid
    My '04 coupe cambiocorse has been very reliable. No issues and nothing to report apart from some minor comments on the cambiocorse software.

18. propaganda

propaganda Rookie

Oct 1, 2003
    I have done 15k miles in my 4200 MY04 CC and have had no major issues at all so far. Had one wing mirror mounting panel repainted at the drivers door as the black paint peeled off when I jet washed it - fixed under warranty and now I have a slight rattle from the door trim as a result of the replacement - very minor and will get it sorted at next service. Only minor annoyance is that if a bulb blows on the Headlights or Fog lights it is a dealer repair since access is from the wheel arch.

I have no hesitancy in recommending the Maserati from a reliability point of view - of course I may have been lucky. Certainly more reliable so far compared my previous Porsche Boxter S - folding roof jammed on that, and drivers window stuck in the down position.

19. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    No updates recently. My last update was done approx. 4-6 months ago.

Is there a newer update? If so, do you have a name or campaign number to identify it?

My car works a lot better following careful tuning of Cambiocorsa parameters with a data acquisition laptop plugged in. I will post details in the original thread.

Overall, I am happy that I chose Cambiocorsa instead of the manual.

- Jon

20. propaganda

propaganda Rookie

Oct 1, 2003
    Jon, re Cambiocorsa
    me too...!

21. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    exactly what i was thinking. plus the picture with the baby's face going "i just poopoo'd in daddy's Maserati" makes me even more worried.

22. vpi_astro

vpi_astro Rookie

Oct 28, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My 2002 Spyder GT has 26K miles on it - I drive it daily. I've had the hydraulic boost pump on the CC transmiission fail twice within 6 weeks back last fall. The second failure was apparently the result of dealer replacing only the pump and not the hydraulic pressure sensor. They replaced both on the second failure and the car has been running fine ever since. Otherwise, this car has been very reliable in all other aspects!

If you want more info on the CC transmission, it is based on something called Selespeed by Magneti Marelli. See the following link:

http://www.marelliusa.com/new_developments1.html

Cheers!

23. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Huh? Your GT has CC transmission?

24. vpi_astro

vpi_astro Rookie

Oct 28, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mike

Nope - my fingers type faster than my brain! I meant to type 2002 Spyder CC!

Cheers!

25. stax

stax Karting

May 30, 2004
    toronto, montreal
    Full Name:
    --
    only some small problems weve had
    3 times the battery has died. now it is no garage queen but living in canada we cannot really drive it everyday. after not driving for about 3 days battery is dead. now it is not completely dead. alarm still works doors open, but not enough juice to start the car. then sometimes we do not drive it for a week and it works just fine. i have no idea what the problem is but we will take into the dealer in the spring. other than that absolultely no problems. the traction control is reliable and has saved my ass a coupla times in the snow.

you have absolutely no problem to worry about