Who uses an iPod in their car ? | FerrariChat

Who uses an iPod in their car ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by WILLIAM H, Feb 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm looking for the best way to mount & use my new iPod in my cars. For the F40 can I plug it directly into an amp so I dont have to install a radio head unit ? Whats the nicest cleanest way to mount it in any car ? Thanks

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    What speaker company makes speakers small enough to fit in a car yet adequate enough to play music through, over the exhaust of an F40...?

3. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    When you are just cruising in town the exhaust sound isn't too loud even w the Tubi's, unless you want it to be loud ;). Seriously I need some tunes in the F40. & those squeeky brakes are a royal pain

4. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    I've seen some people use a kind of cell phone mount. You should look like a bmw accesories, since they advertise that kind of thing. Also I have seen complete idiots wear the headphones while driving.... apparently they dont know that it is illegal to do that.

George.

5. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    I use an Ipod every time I drive somewhere, but I us an Itrip transmitter, which of course requires a fm radio, I remember I saw a product a while ago that could directly link into an amp, but I cant recall where I saw it

6. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER

I just bought a transmitter today, Havent tried it yet. That thing that links to the amp would be excellent

7. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
  8. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Does using an iPod mean I actually have to turn on my radio? Darn, I don't know if the thing even works... ;-}

9. mani-1

mani-1 Rookie

Nov 22, 2003
    MALIBU, CALIFORNIA
    Full Name:
    MANI
    I use an Itrip to trasmit the music from my ipod through an FM channel, like 87.9 FM. But the quality is not as good as getting a wire directly connected to your radio, and the other other end you plug into your ipod. the wire is usually drawn under the dash. The quality is better because the the Itrip picks up static from your celphone. Good Guys did a very nice job on my Range Rover, but I am a little hesitant to take my 355 there until i see them do another ferrari.

10. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Lucily enough I have a tape deck in my 98 maranello. So I can use a good old K7 adapter (sort of K7 with a wire pluged into the headset jack of the ipod). Some older amps or radio had a "audio in" jack so I guess you can just plug in there.

It quite a shame that recent car radios are not ideal for ipod connection.

11. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I use an iPod in the 355 with a phono to 3.5mm connector cable.

It runs under the mats with zero hassle and allows the iPod to sit in the "tray" behind the ashtray.

Sound quality is superb, but you need a head unit that will take a phono pair.

I am now, however, looking into a set up for another car. The idea will be to use as small an amp as can be found, a pair of speakers and an iPod. The whole lot will be removable without any damage at all to the car, will be easily installed and should sound nice.

Unlikley to have anything ready for a month or two though, and am UK based. Once I get somewhere with it, I'll post up.

12. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    ipod + podfreq transmitter played through fm radio, quality varies from car to car

13. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I have tried to use iPod/iTrip. After a few days of use, I have to say that I don't recommend iTrip for urban settings. I have yet to find a radio setting that provides a clear signal all the time.

14. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
  15. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I have the ITrip thing too....

16. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    The best quality will be to feed the iPod into a line input on a stereo. Most car stereos don't have a dedicated line in jack, but they do have a line in posing as an external CD changer port. You buy an auxiliary input converter, which fools the stereo into thinking there's a CD changer present. Now you can jam the audio through the CD changer port. I added one of these to a friends Chrysler and my sister's Honda. They aren't much more than an iTrip, but sound so much better. I"m not sure if there's anything for Ferrari, though. I bought mine here:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/auxinpconv.html

-steve

17. an032nv

an032nv Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2004
    Clovis, California
    Full Name:
    Chris Torosian
    I use the dLo FM transmitter in my truck. It's great. It holds the iPod and plugs into a cigarette lighter and transmits through a range of FM channels (I use 100.1). It has the best rating as far as FM transmitters go and it's the next best thing to wiring it directly to your head unit.

18. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Replaced the head unit on my car with a head unit that had an auxiliary input. Panasonic head unit, has CD player (also plays MP3s), radio, and auxillary rear input. Cost? $175 for the head unit, and $25 for the iPod Monster Cable.

It works, sounds great.

19. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I bought the transmitter, then returned it, getting fair amount of static here in sunny Chicago.
    Just bought it again. It works well on road trips, still not great for short trips.

20. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
  21. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I'm using a FM transmitter for mine too right now. My cars stereo doesn't have a line in. Ive found that with a skin on the ipod I don't need a holder for it in the car. I just lay it on the center console and the rubber grips well enough for it not to move.

22. Zupra

Zupra F1 Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    St Louis
    Full Name:
    Chesney
    ido i do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
  24. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I am looking at a new install in my 512. The alpine head unit will be compatable with both xm radio and ipod which is what I'm thinking. I love xm so much I won't use the ipod much.