Thinking of buying a 246GT or GTS | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thinking of buying a 246GT or GTS

Discussion in '206/246' started by vdavie, Feb 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vintageracer27

vintageracer27 Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Middletown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Vince:
    Try contacting Steve Markowski in Vermont at Restoration & Performance Motorcars. Tele. 802-877-2645. E-mail: [email protected]
    I just purchased a 246GT from him. Very experienced and very honest.
    He currently has a GT (red) and GTS (black) for sale. Tell him Brian Wise referred you.
    Good luck!

2. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    Brian,

thanks,
    vince

3. playdr

playdr Rookie

Jan 13, 2005
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Mike McLean
    Vince, all the about comments about the differences between the 206 and 246 are applicable. However, with the four small pipe muffler the 206 has a sweeter sound than the blat of the 246. After passing cars on rallys at 7000 rpm I have had many drivers thank me for passing them as they enjoyed the sound so much. Secondly, insofar as value is concernced, in the mercato section of Cavallino the 206 is consistently higher than the 246. This is problably due to the limited number, I would imagine. Also in my biased opinion I think the 206 has a sleekness to it that the 246 does not.
    Mike

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Styling is of course a subjective opinion. All 206's and 246's are beautiful. I own a very early "L" Series 246 Dino GT Coupe. I have measured both a 206GT and my 246GT. From the rear of the door forward including the sail piller they are identical in all dimensions(including glass). The rear overhang and dimensions are also identical. Where they differ is a 246 is longer between the rear of the door and rear wheel arch. This distance is evidenced in the exta slot (7 vs 6) in the engine lid. A 206 has all alloy bodywork, knock-off wheels, thin bumpers, firewall mounted headrest, wood wheel, passenger footrest and grab handle. An "L" Series 246GT has the identical specification including fully adjustable 206 suspension w/hard bushings and knockoffs, thin bumpers, same gearbox, longer wheelbase, 246 motor w/195hp, steel bodywork w/ alloy opening panels(doors, hood, decklids). Also the aforementioned fuel door vs exposed cap. After the "L" Series(357 cars) the bodies are all steel with a few exceptions, upgraded gearboxes. bolt on wheels and updated interiors. In my opinion the extra length on the 246 makes it seem lower, more "cab forward" and more beautiful. My opinion only. I feel the "L" Series integrates all the best features of the 206 and 246. Of course I'm biased!

Freeman

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I would assume that the opposite would be the case, with 206s bringing in a little more than equivalent condition 246s. Truth be told, though, it's tough to determine what's equivalent and what's not from looking at classified ads.

6. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    And we know how you feel about "cab forward." :)Best, Yale (Leslie Gill is my wife by the way Freeman).

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I don't see a lot of 206's trading around. The last couple I saw were under 246GT prices. Not a lot, but some non the less. Frankly I was a little surprised by that.

The FML stopped tracking them at least ten years ago I think. I have that data on my work computer and I'll check it tomorrow.

I guess there's no advantage to owning the 206, and since they don't really attract special attention, and don't sell often, they don't seem to get any special pricing for their relative rarity. They don't have the advantage of the GTS in style, and they don't have the zip of the 246GT.

DM

8. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yep, but it also shows 246GT's trading as high as $95K. I have yet to see one in that range.

My price ranges on 206's are purely anecdotal. I don't have any firm evidence, just the very rare listings I've seen in the past year or so.

Instinct tells me they should sell for more than a 246Gt, and less that a GTS, but, I haven't seen that.

9. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    Excellent info guys. As i start the search i will be asking more questions and post pic's of what i find. Thanks again for all the help. DM i will be in touch.

vince

10. Rosso Badger

Rosso Badger Guest

Jan 17, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Al Boswell
  11. tlime

tlime Rookie

Jan 11, 2005
    Summerville, SC
    Full Name:
    Terry
    There is a nice one on Ferrariads.com.

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  13. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    That is a very nice looking Dino

vince

14. tlime

tlime Rookie

Jan 11, 2005
    Summerville, SC
    Full Name:
    Terry
    #39 tlime, Feb 15, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    For how much?

vince

16. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I assume that's your '71 Euro Spec car?

Maybe some details would help.

DM

17. tlime

tlime Rookie

Jan 11, 2005
    Summerville, SC
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Its listed at FerrariAds.com. If you have any questions reply there.

18. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    Yikes! not to friendly. good luck with your car.

vince

19. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I don't think the request to describe your car here is unreasonable considering you took the opportunity to post the picture here and its what this thread is about. By the way why does it have a U.S. rear side marker with a Euro front side marker?

20. playdr

playdr Rookie

Jan 13, 2005
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Mike McLean
    Good pickup on the side marker lights, hawkeye!

21. tlime

tlime Rookie

Jan 11, 2005
    Summerville, SC
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Vince, what's not friendly? I assumed that Rob would rather I not sell here.
    As far as the side marker light, the car is as it was when I bought it.
    I have owned the car since 2002, the serial # is 01496. The car runs great and shifts like most Ferrari’s of that era. I recently had the heads pulled for a valve job and ended up replacing all the valves. I also replaced the plugs, ignition wires, and air filter. Everything else is in good shape. [If you have any other questions about the engine you can call Karl Troy with European Road and Racing (843-747-1342) he did the work for me.] The only other thing I would recommend doing to the engine would be to rebuild the carburetors. There was no maintenance history with the car when I bought it but I have all records of what I have none, the car only has 26,000 miles on it.

I have an owners manual, maintenance/repair manual, and parts catalogue. It has the original jack and road reflector but no tools. It has the spare and all five of the wheels have been reconditioned. [I also have a set of 17” wheels for the car (no tires) that go with the deal.]

The interior is in good shape and has a new MOMO steering wheel (I also have the original Abarth wheel). If I were going to keep it I would probably have it repainted. The paint is not bad but the car deserves better. I have also put a set of head light covers on the car. The car sounds great, drives great, and would look good at any car show just as it is. As with any car at this age there is always something that can be done. For the price I don’t think you will find a better example.

Below is some history on the car provided to me by Denny Schue with the Dino Registry.

Dino 246GT/M *01496* 1971 production
    Left hand drive, metric instruments.
    Original exterior color: Rosso Chiaro, Code Nr. 20-R-190 Original interior color: Nero vinyl, Code Nr. 161 Options & equipment: 6 ½ X 14 inch wheels.

February 22, 1971 Invoiced by Ferrari SEFAC to Motor SrL, the Ferrari dealer in Rome, and subsequently sold to 1st owner, Avv.
    Sinatra.

197? Owned by someone in Switzerland.

1970s Imported into the USA from Switzerland.

April 1988 Offered for sale by Wide World of Cars, Spring Valley, NY.
    Red/black.

June 1988 Offered for sale by Peter Markowski in Vermont.
    Red/black, 21,118 KMS.

Summer of 1988 Purchased by Lance Smith, Burlington area of Vermont.
    February 1989 offered for sale by Smith, Daytona seats, $95,000.

1989 Purchased by Tim Hunt, Richmond, VT. Red/black leather.

2002 Owned by Terry Limehouse, USA.

22. vdavie

vdavie Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    norcal
    Full Name:
    vince davie
    Terry,

thank you for the info on your car.

vince

23. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Terry,
    Thanks for the info and being so complete. You've been redeemed. There's a saying," Its not what you say but how you say it". As an example, if a stranger asks, "What time does the 10 o'clock parade begin?" There are many sarcastic answers but a good answer is," It begins in about 15 minutes and a great place to watch it is from over there." There's another saying, "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit."