2001 360 won't start | FerrariChat

2001 360 won't start

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gripet, Feb 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    Help!! Have had the 2001 360 manual tranny on Ferrari trickle charger for two weeks. Headlights seems strong. Remotes lock and unlock okay. Tried turning off the switch in the trunk twice for 20 seconds each time. Checked the 3 60 amp fuses next to the battery. Checked the 30 amp fuses for ignition and starter. Still nothing. I think the battery is one year old but could be more. Ferrari in Chicago (Rick Mancuso's in Lake Forest/Lake Bluff) was stumped. QUESTION: Besides replacing the battery does anyone have any thoughts? THANKS TOM

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

It sounds like a battery. Have you given any consideration to testing it?

3. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    Not familiar with testing the battery. Can you fill me in? thanks

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In that case I would suggest you have it taken to a Ferrari repair shop.

5. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    It amazes me how some owners of a car like Ferrari dont know the simplest things.

I could see maybe if you were driving a Benz, BMW, Volvo, etc.

But a FERRARI! C'mon!

6. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    That is funny - in a subtle way... :)

What Rifledriver is saying - if you are not really mechanically skilled or even a little - you might just call your F-car mechanic and have them haul her in for a check up...

If you want to try to resolve this on your own first :

I would take the battery out - take it to an Autozone or Advanced Autoparts or any type of auto shop - have them test the battery for you. AKA does it have a charge (or enough to turn the car over, etc.) If it does not - put in a new battery.

Even if you are not so mechanically inclined - it never hurts to try it - I have forced myself over the years with my older F-cars to learn as much about them inside and out - and do my best to fix and learn what I can - not really for saving money (which I did) - but I find it very rewarding to accomplish easy and intermediate things - which 10 years ago - I could not have done.

7. GDautosport

GDautosport Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    NJ
    fyi...it is not a requirement when u buy a ferrari

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Hey some people just drive them, nothing wrong with that. In fact I think I'm jealous.

9. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    I'd bet against the battery, but it would help if you could at least put a volt meter on it and monitor it when you try and start to see if the voltage falls off the shelf.

10. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Surely you jest! I'd be surprised if more than 10% of Ferrari "enthusiasts" have so much as picked up a wrench in the last 30 years.

11. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I had similar - make sure the cut off switch is 100% rotated to the on position. My dealer has experienced a few people claiming to have faulty batteries when it is the switch that was rotated until it 'caught' but was not enough to then act as a link to start the engine.

12. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    Scuse me! I did inspect the tool kit.

13. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    '99 percent chance it's the battery. It may read a high voltage and simply not take a charge. If the kill switch is full on you can test with an inexpensive voltmeter. Put it on the posts of the battery and have somebody else try to start it up. If the voltage stays above 11 volts during the start up try then try putting the test leads of the voltmeter on the terminal wires, not the post itself. A bad connection will show a good voltage on the post and low voltage on the wires. If still getting low volts then it's the battery.

aehaas

You should always have a volt meter and can get one for $29 from Radio Shack. You do not need a 6 digit meter from HP even though they are the talk of the town. If you had a voltmeter you will all of a sudden find uses for it like to test a flashlight or radio battery.