Miami Vice Season 1 DVD Collection | FerrariChat

Miami Vice Season 1 DVD Collection

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Dana_McCann, Feb 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dana_McCann

Dana_McCann Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Houston,Texas
    Full Name:
    Dana L. McCann
    Well gang, I finally Snagged the Miami Vice DVD collection. It has three disc, double sided the the entire 1st season. I have had a chance to watch the entire thing yet., but I have them all loaded into my new home theatre sytem. One problem, every time that I watch a disc, there is a repeated splice to the Miami Vice Intro. This is a bit annoying to say the least. picture is nice, yet the sound isn't quite Dolby Digital like is says. The intro is, yet the scenes' I don't think were digitally Remastered like it says. I have compared the sound quality against movies like "Gone in 60 Seconds" which blew me away, 2 Fast 2 Furious which was good, Bad Boys I and II which is also Good. Miami Vice on the other hand had nice music but so far as the Action that I would like to hear, to hold your breath

2. Driven1413

Driven1413 Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    South Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Did Crockett & Tubbs get the Testarossa in season one, or was that later in the series. I know they had the Replica Daytona Spyder, which blew up. Just curious on the timeline....

Alex

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The TR was introduced several seasons in. The Daytona/Corvette was used for the bulk of the show's existance.

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Don't hold me to this, but I think some of the music is "cover" music. Listen closely to some of the songs, then find and listen to the song on a CD. Some voices are a little different, which may be the lower quality of music. I did notice that the music did not sound as "deep" or as "full" as other DVDs.

I remember that getting the artists' music rights was the biggest stumbling block. Maybe they just bypassed it.

5. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    http://www.wildhorse.com/MiamiVice/eps/

"Miami Vice Year 3: 1986-87
    A darker, grittier Vice. The Daytona is history, replaced by a Testarossa. The clothes and the attitude are darker, and the music takes on a harder edge.

When Irish Eyes Are Crying" (Daytona gets it)
    "Gina is skeptical after a zealous Scotland Yard inspector informs her that her new love is a soldier for the IRA" (starring a young Liam Neeson if memory serves)

"Stone's War" (intro of TR)
    "A journalist returns to Miami seeking Sonny's protection because of his videotapes of Colonel Maynard's paramilitary unit in action in Nicaragua"

i got this from my wife for Valentines.... havent noticed the sound quality but the visuals (compared to my overused VHS tapes) are top notch IMHO. the night shots of the Daytona are excellent... sharp and colourful...

GT

ps: for the masochists among us:
    http://www.buyersmls.com/americantv/vice/wallpaper/daytonaboom.jpg

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I remember the most painful episodes of Vice were the few after the Daytona is blown apart. It took some episodes until the TR was rolled out and Sony was left driving some American tin.

7. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    Season 1 of vice was orginally recorded on a mono audio track. It has taken lots of work to get it to the level it is now to have some DD 5.1 effects.

Season 2 and on are in stereo ( larger budget since NBC had a hit ). I suspect the next seasons to have better audio and video quality.

I would love to have a McBurnie Daytona Replica in my garage...cause the real thing isn't going to happen!

ciao'

Steve
    www.sportauto.cc

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  9. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    OK.......now how bad would I get flamed for having that car and my 328 show up at a FCA event =-)

Thanks!

Steve

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You wouldn't make many friends at FCA I think, but FOC Midwest would definitely welcome you...We have several replicas in our region. It is all about passion for the prancing horse.
    :)

PS: That one on ebay is a bit of a poor example, but could defnitely be corrected in several ways.

11. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    Yeah...I would think a great one would be worth 15-20k. The ebay one is all the money 8-10k

just my 2 replica cents

Steve

12. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Wasn't he driving around in some old red pick up truck that looked like it was confiscated from some Panamanian banana farmer?

One of my favorite scenes was the camara shot of Crockett's face wherein you could see the exploding Ferrari in the reflection of his Ray Bans.

Thank god they confiscated the TR in a subsequent episode. New paint job, new tires and away they go

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    There is a really nice one in the "Replica" Auto Section in the March '05 issue of Hemmings Motor News. A "Genuine" MacBurnie. Check out: www.hemmings.com I believe that they are asking $31K....OBO

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yes and he got rides from his buddy in that guys convertible. The show lost all glamour during those episodes. I think only the episodes in NY were worse.

On a side note: I wrote to Johnson asking for an autograph on a 8x10 with the Daytona I sent him. Never got an answer.
    :(

15. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    IIRC, it was a black 50s-vintage heap of a truck, and Sonny told Castillo that he couldn't "keep showing up at 100 thousand dollar drug deals looking like L'il Abner"

and then Castillo muttered/grunted/whispered "It's out back" and the rest was glorious Testarossa history, incl. that low moment with the bad guys in the Plymouth Caravelle (or was it a Diplomat?) stayed right on the TR's bumper for the duration of some huge chase scene. Hemi Caravelle? :)

16. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I heard on a Chicago area radio news channel ( WGN )and then later saw on late night channel hopping on cable, that Don Johnson is dead broke. His local grocery is after him on a $4000 bill he had for just one month's worth of purchasing. On an E True Hollywood story of Miami Vice, he isn't depicted as the most friendly person one can meet off camera. Given all this negative words on him, don't feel too shocked. As a matter of fact if he were to have given you an auto you'd probably be one of the few friends he has. His behavior, his loss.

RocketBoy

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks dude.
    I must say I was surprised not to hear back from him. Of course I used a SASE and the address was given to me by a FChatter who knows things like these and said Johnson would basically sign anything.

On ebay you can find lots of fotos with his sig, but I haven't seen a single one with the Daytona AND his sig. So I'm starting to wonder, whether he has a "gag order" from FNA or his agent not to sign anything depicting the replica. Any conspiracy theorists out there?

18. Marcus 27

Marcus 27 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Is the one on Ebay defnitely the same as the one in Miami Vice? It doesn't look right to me (very Corvette in the middle). As far as I remember the one in the series looked fantastic. Perhaps better than the original, if anything...

I think the one in the series also had plexiglass headlights whereas the one on Ebay has pop-ups.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The one in the series actually was not a good replica: It didn't have the interior done at all (which is why you never see the dash), wrong seats etc. It did not have the pop up lights (as you say), which is wrong again for a Daytona Spyder.

I'm not sure on this, but I think it even had square front head lights as opposed to the round ones of the Berlinetta.

In that famous night time shot with Phil Collins singing "Something in the air tonight", there is an intermezzo where they stop at a phone booth so Sony can call his ex (?). That scene is hilarious: Turn up the sound volume and you hear the replica rattle and crack as it rolls to a stop. Not very Ferrari like.
    :)

20. Driven1413

Aug 14, 2004
    South Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Alex

Dead Broke?? I heard on the news last year that he was stopped crossing a border in Europe with something in excess of $5 BILLION dollars on him. Not million, but BILLION - In Stock Certificates or Bonds maybe? It wasn't all cash of course. He told Border Patrol he was on his way to buy a car. I think this later got cleared up, he was actually looking to buy a dealership group with some investment partners. I know I dont have many of the details here, I am sure it could be researched. Either way, I think he is far from Dead Broke.....

Alex

21. Driven1413

Aug 14, 2004
    South Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I remember seeing this episode recently. The chase ends with a Tractor Trailer blocking a narrow alley. In true Hollywood fashion, the TR drives right under the trailer, and the Diplomat follows, removing its top half in the process. I remember thinking it was pathetic that a Testarossa could not outrun a Diplomat.

Alex

22. Marcus 27

Marcus 27 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    There's some interesting info here : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=474636&highlight=miami+vice
    (that's a really good forum for getting info on home cinema, btw)

Sounds like the studio had a lot of hassle getting DVD rights for all the original music, but they did it in the end. Anyway, I've ordered the DVDs - can't wait! I started to loose interest in the show when they got the white Testarossa. I think it started to run out of steam, to some extent, and I never really liked the Testarossa...

I'm sure the car in the show had a plexiglass front, whereas the only real 365GTS/4 with plexiglass was the prototype. I always prefered the plexiglass front on the Daytona - it was a real shame they changed it.

23. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0%2C1%2C13966%2C00.html?tnews

I heard about that suitcase too, but shortly after came these headlines... did he misplace the suitcase on the trip back? Either way, where's there is smoke there is fire and this guy has seen better days and a lot less lawyers in his past. Too bad, such an awesome presence on screen.

RocketBoy

24. ferraristyle

ferraristyle Karting

Jan 7, 2005
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Not sure if anyone said this but both the TR and the Daytona were replica's in this show. Popular Science magazine did an article on the cars titled "The Cars Of Miami Vice"

The Datona was a McBurnie replica mounted on an 81 vette if I can remember correctly. Not sure if the TR was a Fiero or a tube frame, but it too was a repro.

Looked good on the show though.....

25. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K

This is not entirely correct. Yes, there was a Fiero based Tr for a few stunt scenes but there was also the real deal 85 Tr that was black that was donated by FNA and resprayed white because white was better on film than black for the night scenes. In fact the black one was used in an episode or 2 before Crockett got it white. It was on Ebay not too long ago.

Kenny K.