Fender bender advice needed | FerrariChat

Fender bender advice needed

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by frank4cars, Feb 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    I was just coming home from dinner with my wife and I got into a minor accident. As I came off the northbound 405 at Euclid, my right rear was clipped by another driver. I was in the outer right turn lane (the center lane) of the exit ramp at Euclid and slowed for the red light. There was a truck in front of me and a few cars in the far right lane. As soon as I stopped the light changed and I proceeded around the turn behind the truck. I turned into the furthest of the three lanes (the left lane, against the center divider) but this guy inside me must have been going a little too fast or something because he swung all the way over and tapped me. It was hard enough that the back end jumped a bit, but I didn't spin or anything. I immediately pulled over and although he initially slowed and was behind me, he then moved over and sped off. I followed long enough to get the plate number and flashed my brights a few times to see if he would pull over, but with my wife in the car I didn't want to chase him. He actually jumped back onto the southbound 405 so I let him go and pulled into the next parking lot to inspect the damage. The only visible damage is a lot of scuffing behind the rear tire, no dent or gouge. So here is my dilemma. As long as there isn't any damage that a little elbow grease won't take care of, should I just drop it or do the cops need to be called. I guess I'm just a little pissed that this guy would take off and not even pull over to check if we were ok, but I am also wondering if he might have been drunk or something and needs to be reported. What would you do?

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

That sucks. Call the cops and report him. Maybe tell them you think he was intoxicated?? At any rate if you need to make a claim for insurance they'd probably want to know that a police report was filed or at least you contacted them. Quite possibly the guy is hiding something or he wouldn't have taken off.

3. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Why haven't you already filed a police report? Since he won't pay a couple hundred to get it fixed and own up to it, let it cost him a few grand in insurance costs. The DMV will have record of the last reported insurance company, you have a witness, file a claim against his company backed by your police report. Chances are he's thinking he might get caught.

Make sure that he does.

Sunny

4. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Report it to you insurance and thecops immediately, even if there is no personal injury, it is still a crime to hit and run. My sister had the same thing happen about 5 years ago, and after the insurance agent for the other car swore up and down that the old lady who owned the car was not driving it as was no-one else did we find out that her son was driving the car and had hit my sister and sped off, and his mom was trying to keep that from the insurance company since he was not on the policy. So don't be surprised if the driver isn't covered.

5. KRIS P.

KRIS P. Karting

Feb 15, 2005
    The OC
    At least get him a "hit and run" on his record. (Not that he probably cares, because he doesn't have a lic. or insurance anyway.)

Kris P.

6. dprestine

dprestine Rookie

May 8, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Hit and Run is not a simple crime. It is a felony. It is your responsibility to report this incident to see that this individual is treated to the lesson he deserves. Urgent that this be accomplished before he similarly incurs material damage or bodily harm to another victim.

Delay no longer.

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Report it. My sister got hit by an asian lady in China Town, who crossed over the double yellow line to the wrong side of the road, trying to pass her. After they pulled over the lady took pictures, and then claimed that my sister hit her when she was pulling out from the curb. She even was gonna sue my sister, when she was the one that cause the accident. If my sister had not reported it to the cops, she would have been screwed, because this lady LIED. REPORT IT, and then get a copy of the report! Don't wait do it.

8. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    Thanks, everyone, for your advice and concern. I have gotten several PMs about this as well as the responses here.

A few points I feel I need to make before I explain what I ended up doing. First of all, there was no injury to either of us. Second of all, there was no damage to the vehicle. No dents or paint damage, just some of the other guy's paint streaked along the rear fender. 5 minutes with some rubbing compound and a buffer got it all off with no eveidence of any damage whatsoever. Third, and probably the thing that is going to get me lynched, this was my Honda, not an F-car or other exotic. I know that a lot of us would probably jump in front of their exotic rather than let it be hit, but this is just a daily driver, albeit not a junker. Sorry if there was any confusion about these points.

Having said all that, this was what happened. I decided to sleep on it and wait to see what kind of advice I received in the morning. When I got up, I read your posts, took a picture of the area of the car, and then worked on it with the buffer. When I finished, I realized that there was no claim to make for damage or injury and that calling the police would only give me the satisfaction of knowing that this guy would be reprimmanded or at least warned. I understand that he needs to be taught a lesson, but I don't believe I am the one to do that right now. Call me a wimp, call me chicken (or worse), but the Christian teaching I've received kept telling me to let it go. Thanks again, and sorry if this disappoints some of you.