Anyone want to buy a 330P4 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Anyone want to buy a 330P4

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by iwanna860monza, Feb 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Enzo never cared. Come on, read the history of the company, they don't live in the past, they move forward. Look how many cars were scrapped after their race careers were over. Look how many "new" cars were sold that were infact rebodied wrecks.

The only reason Ferrari is interested in used race cars now is they can sell them to people that want to be like Schumacher. Forget the history, its a new revenue stream.

Ferrari doesn't give a damn what you do with a car, so long as you don't owe them money.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LOL! Funny!

I think he has a clear title to most of them!

We had a visit here from Basil Shadlun, a shame we can't lure Walt in here for a chat! Old Guy is here, as proxy......:)

3. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Ten years of free storage at a resto place? Gee, I wish that I could get a deal like that where I'm storing some of my cars. Most garages that I know of will start changing you $5 a day after a month or two. Walter sure knows how to snooker them.

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Horsefly it sounds like they had sweat equity in the car....not so much "storage" as "waiting for the guy to show up with the money..."

That is amazingly common among Fcar owners, surprisingly.

My tech will go into a major project, with an Owner all hot and bothered, then I'll watch as time goes by, once completed and ready to go..........

tick...tock.....tick.....tock.....

*dust settles*

You don't need a watch, a calendar will do fine.......

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Now let the apartments impound my Trans Am, and I can run up $300 in fees in the hour it took me to go to Church Sunday morning! LOL!

6. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Agreed on that one Tex. A friend of mine ran a shop restoring Corvettes for a while. I was constantly amazed at the amount of freeloading going on toward my friend. There were big money business guys and doctors who would drop off their car to be "restored" just as soon as they decided what all needed to be done. The calendar pages would turn, and still the owners of the cars never came through with the cash. One time, a guy had a nice '55 Corvette stored there "awaiting" restoration. It was one of the earliest V8 Corvettes ever. One day while I was reading the newspaper here at work, I noticed that the owner of the car was filing for bankruptcy on his gas station business. He was obviously hiding the car at my friend's house under the pretense of future restoration. One call from me to my friend ended his free storage. Another freeloader was a doctor who could have paid to store a dozen cars anywhere that he wanted, but he left his Corvette in the shop for a year or two awaiting "restoration". More like "free storage".

7. MAHOOL

MAHOOL Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    O-town, Florida
    Full Name:
    Mel

Ok, this begs the question then, if Ferrari doesn't care about the cars....as long as they have their money..why did they sell the F50 on a lease program.....or require that owners of supercars have previous ownership of other ferraris......if the Enzo only had an MSRP of $600,000 and be selling for a $1 million why not raise the MSRP....and last but not least.......if FERRARI is just a car company out to make money off of a sale of a car and nothing more....WHY THE HELL ARE THERE SO MANY GARAGE QUEENS....if ferrari doesn't consider them art.......why does the owner......and how many licks to the center of a tootsie pop........

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ah, grasshopper...these are all good questions......that have no answer! LOL!

9. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Their was an interview in Car magazine in 1978 and they asked Enzo Ferrari if he had any regrets. he replied.

"Regrets yes, I am bitter I did not keep one of every model we made since 1940."

Damn straight he cared about all of his cars, they were his creations.

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass

Ah, contrary to what Bubba says from his dome tent, these are easy questions.

Why sell one car at a million, when you can require a guy to have bought 7-10 cars prior to being eligible to buy the car at $600,000? You still have more people playing this game than the number of cars you make.

Do the math.

The lease was in place to help the dealers. Sure, you could sell it at market price, but the dealer would get their slice of the profit rather than some random broker.

Do the math.

End of the day, its a business. And a pretty good one if you ask me.

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Part of the myth that EF was trying to spin. If they really care, why didn't they bid against Napolis on 002C? Why did they go out and make the 125 replica than go out in the market and get an original?

Ferrari owners live in the past as part of the Ferrari myth. The company looks ahead...

12. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Interesting debate....live in the past or look to the future. If Ferrari, or any other automaker were REALLY looking to the future, then they would see a roadblock up ahead. Two of them in fact. First one: fossil fuel burning vehicles aren't exactly the forefront of technology. Show me a Ferrari that utilizes electric motors powered by hydrogen fuel cells and then we'll talk real technology. Second roadblock: Human beings can not drive cars that go any faster on today's roads with today's technology. How many people could possible drive an Enzo to the limits of its technological ability? Even on an interstate highway in the middle of Montana, the local police authorities aren't going to allow you to fly past them at 180MPH without taking some action. So the Enzo itself, for all its incredible abilities, is pretty much window dressing that will remain unused. Not unappreciated, but unused. The technology may exist to built an Enzo II that will travel all day at 300MPH, but WHO could drive it and WHERE could they drive it?

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    How did we manage to get so far off topic?

14. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Arlie,

Fuel cells are not practical, even if the hydrogen economy actually takes off, which is unlikely in the USA.

Internal combustion will be around after fossil fuels are gone, which is a very long time from now.

Wayne,

Sorry for taking this thread farther off topic.

Art S.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I meant I was not going to answer them! Note the post time! LOL!
    The power generator was running low on gas, and we needed the last splash to start the fire!

Thanks Judge, for a most excellent response!

From the dome tent....

And Wayne, I have no idea! It's not a P4 anyway! Can you fix that?
    Napolis says "350 Can Am", and I tend to agree......

16. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Ferrari SPA today could care less about the cars of the past, and I couldn't see Mr Ferrari even bidding up high prices on one of his old cars, but it's different if he would have kept each model new from the factory in storage somewhere. Concerning Enzo chopping up his old cars to use in new models it was a metter of economics at the time Ferrari was a small company, I don't think even Enzo realized at the time he would have become so infamous when he began until the late 60s early 70s which according to some today the Ferrari brand today is more well known than Mc Donalds or CocaCola, it also adds more to the drama and legend of Ferrari that they chopped up some of these old cars.

17. Alex Rogo

Alex Rogo Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    California
  18. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  19. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    They are REAL. I personally saw them and have pictures of them from 15 years ago before the restoration. They had Can-Am snorkles on them at that time and were as they rolled off the track. They were in a garage under cover away from all his other cars.

I did not think they would ever be restored. They were complete, no parts missing.

20. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Rob.
    Please could you merge these few posts into the existing "Anyone want to buy a 330P4" thread. I was about to post something 350 Can-Am related that would help get it back 'on topic' again - and I'd sooner post it to the earlier thread, rather than carry on (again) with this one. Thanks !

21. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #96 P4Replica, Feb 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    O.K., here's a question for the REAL Ferrari (P4) historians, and my attempt to get this thread back on topic:
    I've just, very kindly, been sent this photo of a 350 Can-Am taken by Fred Lewis "at the Jochen Rindt memorial racing car show in Nuernberg, West Germany in October, 1971, or thereabouts". Fred asked me if I knew which chassis # it was - and, quite honestly, I don't know. It could be #0858 (acquired by Walter Medlin in 1971), or equally it could also be #0860 (acquired by Pierre Bardinon in 1970) - before it was converted back to 330P4 Spyder configuration. Does anyone know which - for sure ?

By the way, this is one of Fred's early photos. His photography has got a LOT better since then !
    Check out some of his Ferrari pics at: http://www.fredlewisphotos.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Done.

23. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #98 El Wayne, Feb 26, 2005
    Not for sure, but does look like 0858 (missing headrest, for example). Here are some photos of 0860 taken at Bridgehampton in 1968 for comparison. Of course, any number of minor altrerations could have been made between 1968 and 1971.

24. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #99 El Wayne, Feb 26, 2005
  25. El Wayne