Factory original 512TR cabrio spotted - I got to ride in it too! | FerrariChat

Factory original 512TR cabrio spotted - I got to ride in it too!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bubba, Feb 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    #1 bubba, Feb 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was down at the shop a few days ago and saw the black/black factory original 512TR cabrio in there getting serviced. As the car has a Koenig exhaust installed, I wanted to listen to it, so the owner took me out for a spin. I didn't realize it at first, but the front winshield is actually very slanted compared to my own. Anyway, it was a very enjoyable experience to ride in such a rare car. Here are some rather lame photos taken using my cell phone.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Great spot, Peter ;) This car looks great as a cabrio. Do you know if it's a one-off?

3. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    I believe Ferrari did 5 or so originally for the Japanese market. If so, then all the factory 512TR cabrios should be RHD. This one is. Not sure if this one was one of the 5, as the owner told me he got it straight from Ferrari.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Awesome,very nice. I heard that Ferrari built a few spyders for the Sultan & some Mythos for him & some collectors in Japan. Never heard of these built just for Japan though

5. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    Peter, thanks A LOT for those pictures of the 512 TR Spider!! As you might know, I'm quite crazy about special Testarossas, 512 TRs and F512 Ms, so I really enjoyed seeing them. If you care, you might want to check out my site: www.red-headed.com.

I know that Pininfarina made several Testarossa and 512 TR Spider conversions, but in these cases the cars (probably!) left the factory as "normal" cars. This could indeed be a REAL factory made car, just like Agnelli's Testarossa Spider which also is a real factory car. Very exciting!

Please note that almost all Ferraris delivered to Japan are LHD, not RHD. You might get a bit confused by the so-called "512 TR Speciale", which was a series of 15 512 TRs delivered to Japan to commemorate that Cornes was the Japanese importer of Ferrari for 15 years. All these 15 cars were dark red, had special wheels and SF shields on the fenders. However, all were normal coupes.

As I'm quite curious about the car you've seen: I will be in Hong Kong for two days in early May, on my trip to Japan. Can you please tell me if it's possible to see that car?? I'm really really really really really really interested in that! Please let me know if you can help me, as that would be fantastic!

6. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    Edvar, thanks for pointing that out to me. Didn't know that! Always learn something new everyday.

As far as seeing the car when you are in HK, I think I can arrange something with the owner. Just let me know a few days before your actual arrival date.

7. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    BEAUTIFUL. I'm not the biggest TR fan (although would love to own one...I know...contradicting myself) but this one is amazing...I LOVE IT. Looks better as a drop top than coupe. WOW. Thanks for the pics.

8. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Stunning looking machine..never guesed a drop top TR would look soo good!

9. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    The best looking Testarossa is definately the 512TR. This TR convertible actually looks better than some of the other "non-factory produced" convertibles, like the 308's that show up on ebay from time to time. Looks great in black.

10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Very Cool - Thanks for posting the pics up!

11. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    holy ****, nice car! :D

12. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    That would be fantastic! For me, seeing that car is far more important than the view from Victoria Peak or than a cruise through the harbor ;) I will let you know when I know the exact dates of my trip ....

13. Marcus 27

Marcus 27 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    It looks like the thing that covers the top when folded was missing when the photos were taken. Do you know if the cover's metal (like the 360 Sp) or leather (like the 355 Sp)?

14. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  15. FerrariFlip

FerrariFlip Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Bonaire,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Philippe Haak
    Dahm, That car looks awsome!!! How many of them are there on the Planet?

16. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    AWSOME TR. what color is that--sortta egplant? thanks Peter.

17. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    It would look a lot better if it wasn't black
    as black hides all the artistic Pininfarina lines

18. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Wow...that car is beautiful! Great spot!!

19. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Peter, you're the man...!!! It's black, it's a Testarossa and it's topless...!!! It's the second-most-perfect car in the entire world...!!! Thanks for the pictures...!

20. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    Thanks guys! I have some more pics taken on Sunday with a REAL camera. I will put them up when I go home tonight.

According to the owner, there's no cover for the top when folded, which is kind of strange.

The owner said 3 or so were made by Ferrari.

It's a special black. The pictures don't show the details, but when seen live under proper lighting, the body appears to have a clear coat over the black paint underneath, which sparkles. It's not your normal black. It's hard to describe.

I have a couple of pics of the car with my red one in them as well. Dark shades do hide the lines more so than the red. But, black does look more vicious.

21. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I love it!

22. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Great looking car. They should have built these along with the coupe. Too bad they're so rare.

Art

23. Timbo

Timbo Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    Portsmouth, NH
    Full Name:
    Timbo
    Wow, I didnt know such a thing existed. This is now officially my favorite car in the world. Or it would be if it were LHD.

The car looks to have a whole different rear engine deck treatment than regular cars, or chopped TRs, am I seeing that right?

Stunning. If anyone has more pics of this please post.

24. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Absolutely stunning!!!! I never knew that Ferrari produced a topless version of the 512TR.

25. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    Yes, the rear engine deck is different. I do have some more shots of the car. Sorry, but I forgot to post them last night. Will do so tonight.