Taking off knock offs.... | FerrariChat

Taking off knock offs....

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ajmarton, Feb 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ajmarton

ajmarton Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I need to take off my knock offs for rechroming so I was wondering
    where the jack points are located - I am assuming the wheel needs to
    be off the ground. Or can I just remove the knock off if all I am
    doing is putting on another one while I chrome the original?
    Lastly, I assume I hit the knock off in a counter clock wise
    direction? TIA ... Andrew

2. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    You can remove knockoffs with a rubber or lead hammer by hitting the ear that faces the front part of the car. Counter clockwise on the left side, clockwise on the right.

They can be removed w/o lifting the car, just don't drive it without putting the replacement on!

3. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    you can also search on this site on the words "knock off tool" and find the coolest tool in the world if you want to spend $350 I think it was, the posts are about 9 months old. I prefer the good old lead hammer, I found a hard rubber mallet didnt have the weight to do the job

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23427&highlight=knock+tool

unfortunately the pics are gone from a crash a while back but this is the tool

http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/30008/an/0/page/0#30008

(saved you the work of the search, you are welcome Andrew) As I said, use a hammer and pound it towards the front of the car on both the left and right side of the car, you will work up a sweat if you are taking off all 4 and they have not been off in a while.

Mike

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    TRutlands sells a knock-off tool that will hook right up to a torque wrench or wrench. I think he wants $125.00 for them.

5. tyang

tyang Rookie

Feb 16, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Tom Yang
    Just a reminder to first hit the knock off when the tire is on the ground, then jack the car up to remove the knock off. For installation, snug up the knock off, lower the car (at least so there is some weight on the tire) and then pound away on the knock off. When you pound on the knock off when the wheel is in the air, you are putting undue stress on the bearings.

Tom

6. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Go to the Daytona web site: http://www.ferrariregistry.net/links.html . At the very bottom of the page is a company that sells the best lead hammer I have ever used. This hammer will not harm knockoffs and lasts like nothing I have seen. It's cheap too...about $35.00 last I checked.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Hi, Andrew.

DON'T assume that each wheel comes off with a counter-clockwise spin. My 330 has arrows that show the direction for each hub.

What car are you working on? (You can always fill out your profile.)

--Matt

8. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Welcome, Tom!

9. tyang

tyang Rookie

Feb 16, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Tom Yang
    Thanks Bryan. I had some time this weekend and it was a thread I had to respond to. Most times I'm too busy to stop by Ferrarichat!

Tom

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Wow, Tom is here. Looks like vintage is become a great resource.

Huan ying Tom.

Erik

11. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Welcome, Tom!

Come by more often,

Dan
    67 330 GT2+2 9119

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Clockwise on the right...? Why...?

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

So your nuts don't come loose while driving.

14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, seriously...? So why don't they do that with regular cars...?

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

In the old days before you were born they used to with regular bolt on wheels but since the bolts do not spin on the wheel axis they did not suffer the same effect. Many years ago most car makers quit the practice for easier logistics as well as reducing costs.

16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Heres a tip; place a block ( 1 by 2, or 2 by 4, 12" long or so ) of soft wood against the ear before you hit it. Hold it with your off hand. That will keep the chrome from cracking or the ear deforming.

17. Andy

Andy Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    When you eventually put them back on, don't just blast off for the freeway and head out on a road trip. Drive the car around the block a few times slowly and listen for any sounds that would indicate a loose wheel, such as a knocking or thunking sound. Then come back in, jack each wheel up slightly (as Tom said, not all the way in the air) and see if you can tighten it some more. Repeat once or twice more if you want to be really sure.

Of course if you hear a "ping!" during your test drive followed by a loud scraping sound and your wheel rolling past you, you've done something incorrectly.

18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The one time I did it, I wrapped a rag around the ear before I hit it, just to keep it from scratching. Seemed to work.