Importing parts etc from USA | FerrariChat

Importing parts etc from USA

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 400SPYDER, Sep 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Made a similar comment in another thread about 360 wheels.

Just wondered what everyones experience on here was like when importing 'bits' for their Fcar.

The problem with buying stuff from the States(and presumably abroad generally) is that you get stuffed by Customs.

I know from bitter painful experience(v.expensive Swarovski crystal piece bought in Australia) that when it arrives in the UK, not only do they charge you 17.5% vat, but 10% import duty!!

Cheers Kevan

:) See you down the road - with big smiles on our faces :)

2. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Kevan,if You import from the EU then duty will(should)have been paid in Country You have imported from i.e.Germany,Denmark etc then in that case no further duty is payable,have never heard of a further tax(import)added as well as VAT.
    Dave Mc

3. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Hi Dave

My query specifically related to the States.

As well as the aforementioned Ebay Australian debacle, I have bought quite alot of stuff through Ebay from the States. Again I have been clobbered for VAT and Import Duty for anything worth more than $25(Can't remember precise amount).

Given that most items items cost $50-$100, I simply ask the seller to fill out the Customs declaration(green slip) stating that value is less than $25.

Obviosly in the case of 4 x 360 alloy wheels I don't think that ruse would work!

Cheers Kevan

:) See you down the road - with big smiles on both our faces! :)

4. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Guys given the weakness of the dollar is anyone considering buying an Fcar or car in the USA.

£1 currently equals $1.91 - nearly back to 2 for 1.

As previously stated I have had to fork out an extra 27.5% on items bought through Ebay from the USA - presumably this would equally apply if it were a $50,000(for example) car.

Had a feeling Dave (308MAN) might have had some personal experience of this?

Are there any other mechanical/mot related issues?

Thanks Kevan

5. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Not really seriously considering buying, as I can't really afford it, but I'd certainly been wondering what one's money would get Stateside and just how much of a saving it'd actually represent, after SVA (needed? Didn't an American chap have his 360 done recently?), shipping etc.

Anyone got any solid figures?

6. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Tom whats SVA and does it aplly to all cars regardless of age?

7. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Taken from: http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_506874-03.hcsp#P43_3759
    See also: http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/exptimpt.htm

Have a skim of that for more info, I'm not an expert on the subject by any means, but as far as I know, it's some sort of standardisation test that all cars have to go through before they can be declared road-legal in this country. Particularly prevalent for things like your home-build 7s, but I guess it applies to imports as well.

I think the American guy had to have his headlights altered on the 360, perhaps some other things too.

8. dasadrew

dasadrew Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Drew H.
    Absolutely standard! I've lived in UK, Germany and France and, when importing from the US you pay VAT + 10% duty. There is, however, a threshold and below a certain value, the customs officer can decide to waive the duty. He then puts a stamp on the parcel "duty exempt" or "duty waivered". If you're lucky, then you may even get past without paying VAT too. It's happened to me on things like CD's with low value and size :). My experience is, the more conspicuous parcels (large items, labels like "DANGER - ACID" on them or maybe even "Original Ferrari Parts") will get manually handled and then they take the time to claim Duty and Tax.

If you're really unlucky, you may even have to go to the Customs Shed (on the docks at Liverpool etc.) to collect the item!