Tracks around Austin | FerrariChat

Tracks around Austin

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Cielo, Feb 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Where is the best, closest, safe track to take a car just for a top end hit?

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    top end hit? you mean, not the ones that you use the steering wheel more than 5 degrees?

I believe there is River City Raceway for 1/4 mile passes. But you should venture out to a track day at Texas World Speedway or Motorsport Ranch with The Driver's Edge. (www.thedriversedge.net)

Otherwise, you are looking at the anual one mile run, which still will not get you to the top end, but will come close from a dead start.

3. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks,

My driveway is more than a 1/4 mile and straight so I can hit over 100 anytime. I need some real space to air things out. I hit 130 today on a local open safe road which got me thinking about a real track. I don't think the tracks on the link will do it (although I think I will try them for fun, I like turns too).

I had read about a mile and a quarter straight track south of Austin (maybe south of SA). I think an ex base landing strip from the description. I sent them an email a few months ago but never heard anything back. Texas Mile or something like that. Do you know anything about it?

Thanks for the reply.

4. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the links. Have you participated in these events? Used these tracks?

5. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    There is a group of folks that occasionally post on the Texas section about driving out to the Hill Country on the weekends. I rode with them a few times and some of them are "airing things out" a bit on that run. They are members of other car clubs than Ferrari so you'll be a minority but you probably won't be in the fastest car in that group.

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I remember a driving instuctor at a Skip Barber school 20 years ago told me : " I can train a monkey to drive 200 miles per hour in a straight line." Give the Motorsports Ranch a try.

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Hey Dave, when are we gonna see pics of the boxer? Surely it's no longer "top secret" :) I know your profile says "project" but I, for one, enjoy pics of project cars more so than shiny ones. :)

8. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The Yellow Boxer I went to see in Florida was, how shall I say this? "not as represented". You are welcome to come and play with my current project, bring your wrenchs.

9. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    LOL, don't mess around with offers like that! I'm likely to take you up on it :) Next time you're putting in an afternoon's work on it and need a hand, all you have to do is send me a PM. :)

Too bad the car a Cav. wasn't all you'd expected.

10. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The Yellow Boxer at Cavallino was absolutly fantastic , not for sale , and probably beyond my price if it was . I went to see an identical year 1975 yellow/black 365BB the day before in Melbourne FL which is the one I passed on. It was the one on Ebay with the black wing.

11. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would copilot with the Monkey if I could hit 200. Can you give me your Skip Barber instructor's contact LightGuy? By chance my wife is a Primatologist so I can come up with the Monkey. The question is, what car will your instructor risk which can hit 200?

12. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    At skippy's we learned in Crossle Formula Fords which may possibly hit the majic 200 if dropped out the back of a C130. This will not please the monkey and will be uncomfortable for oneself if he/she is in ones lap. Currently seeking other modes of transport.

13. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL, ah well, back in search of the 200 mph ride. If only I could find a monkey with an Enzo.

14. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I did not know Juan Pablo trained @ Barber ;)

15. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    *rimshot* lol

16. rmj928s

rmj928s Rookie

Aug 20, 2004
    Also try Texas World in College station. The Porsche club DE's are great on the 2.9 mile track. I was there on the 11th & 12th & there were 2 Ferrari's a 355 challenge & a new driver in a 360 stradale..

Also if you’re in the mood for a drive further south try the PCA events at Cameron County airport just 10 minutes form South Padre Island. We are running our 1.6 & 2.1 mile course on May 21st & 22nd. We are a bit more relaxed than MSR or TWS & you can go solo here your first day if you feel comfortable. The 2.1 mile track has a .5 mile straightaway for top speed runs & the nice thing is that we have no cement walls or tire barriers to hit just 150 ft wide runways & taxiways. Also event entry for 2 days in only 120.00 here is a link. www.rgvpca.org

Here are links to some track video.
    http://www.riotdesigns.com/videos/CostalClassic_092604.wmv
    http://www.riotdesigns.com/videos/CostalClassic_092504.wmv

Rene

17. danajgribi

danajgribi Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Dana J. Gribi
    Cielo.

I don't know if you know who I am, but I race a 1995 F355 Imsa GT Racer(Highly Modified Challenge and a 1969 Porsche 911S Vintage Racer with HSR. I have been on both road course tracks....TWS and MSR with both cars. The Porsche liked MSR just fine, but the Ferrari did not. Most of the corners are off camber and it really unbalanced the car. Plus I can't get out of 4th gear at MSR. Rob Lay says the same thing about 4th, though he does like MSR.

I have only been able to use 6th gear at two road courses....Daytona's oval and Road America on the long straight from the 17th turn to the 1st turn. And it is a hoot to get to 6th in the car. At Daytona I was doing 180.

I just joined the NASA,TX group at the recommendation of Rob. While on the website I noticed the Texas Mile....On the LOGO is says Texas Mile 257..........it must be close to Beeville or Goliad, as the host hotel is in Beeville but also mentions hotels in Goliad and Victoria. Just go to NASATX website and you can get all of the information.

I was kinda interested in it myself, but have not registered or called for information as yet, but have printed off the registration pages. It sounds like fun.

Let me know if you decide to go. I am not on Ferrari Chat very often so send me an e-mail at [email protected].

Have fun...........

Dana

18. Tuco

Tuco Karting

Mar 10, 2004
    Texas
    How dare you debase the monkey kingdom with that statement !

19. Tuco

Tuco Karting

Mar 10, 2004
    Texas
    #20 Tuco, Feb 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I bit of a drive for me but it looks like you guys have a lot of fun down there.

21. Cielo

Cielo Karting

Feb 3, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I bet it was a "hoot". You sound like a very interesting lady. I saw your profile. Nice cars. I don't know if I will do the Mile or not. I would like to but there are already a few events I want to drive this year and I am starting to push my luck with my wife. Anyway, if I do go to the March event I will email you. By the way, I saw you like fly fishing. I own over 800 ft of the widest, most beautiful fly fishing river in the area if you would like to try it out sometime (pm me if you are interested - may cost you a ride in your F car).