I definitely WON'T be getting a Ford GT now | FerrariChat

I definitely WON'T be getting a Ford GT now

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Jon7, Feb 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jon7

Jon7 Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    VA
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I figure with this news, prices will plummet fast. Too bad Ford rushed a well engineered car to market too fast. I'm no mechanic, but from what I gather from the article, this is a 'cheap' fix which I certainly would not be happy about if my car needed this repair. I had not realized there had been NINE technical service bulletins already. When the time comes, either Ferrari or Lamborghini has my $.

Those greedy dealers should have got their 'extra profit' while they had the chance.

http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101899

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I'm sure Ford will be devastated to learn that you won't be buying one.
    Oil leak at the seal?
    WOW.
    Every Ferrari I have ever owned has leaked oil somewhere. So what?

3. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    wow. Dude, you're hard core!
    LOLOLOLOL............

4. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    It is assuring to know that you are such a perfectionist.

You are correct, you are not a mechanic, nor do you seem to be an engineer of any sort. A bad finish on pre-production crankshafts is not a catastophic failure, especially in the first production run of the the first production year of a BRAND NEW MODEL. A quick question: are you familiar at all with the car industry?

Blemishes in the seat belt webbing and a rattle in the steering column would steer me away from the car as well. Forget 550hp and better performance than a 360 CS; I need perfectly beautiful seatbelts, by God! :rolleyes:

I suppose you decided to omit the fact that many of the nine TSBs were related to cosmetic or NVH issues, things that are common in nearly every hand-built car (yes, even your perfect F-cars and Lambos), because it would have stolen some thunder from your little whiney rant about how awful the car is. What I find odd is how able you are to judge the car after reading an Autoweek article.

Yeah, because no one will buy them anymore, right? I mean, if you aren't, why would anyone else? :rolleyes:

B!tching like you've got a billion dollars, yet you probably don't have two nickles to rub together. I love fake snobbery.

5. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    The rear seal leak is common to ultra high performance cars. My wife's '95 E320 wagon had the same problem. ;)

Guess I have to go with Napolis on this one: big deal. All of the very high performance cars tend to be, well, needy.

6. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    When I was with Ford years ago, I had to respond to Warranty issues for one of our assembly plants. I saw so many crazy one's, including a woman in Texas who complained that her glove box was deffective because she could not get her 44 Mag inside. The other good one was when I open my windo and it is raining, I get wet!

I am sure Ford will take care of both the mech & safety well, and try to stroke the other issues to the cust satisfaction.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A speedy sleeve is in fact superior to running the seal on the crankshaft anyway. Wish all cars had them. It sounds to me like Ford is going over the cars with a fine tooth comb, something Ferrari could stand to do. I think the future owners are very lucky in this day that the builder is making sure the product is right. They are fixing items that are small enough that most car makers don't care, and you are complaining?

8. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    If it works, so what? The only Ferrari I've owned that didn't leak is the 360. The 355 and the 348s leaked. Neither leaked enough to cause any trouble. It's clear that none of you ever owned a Triumph 650. Needed a litter box under it.

Art

9. Jon7

Jon7 Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    VA
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My earlier comment was a knee-jerk response. I have so much wanted a Ford GT since the concept was released. With the dealer markups and the recall, I have become less enamored with the car. I have read it is a great driver. But for $150K not including the markups, I'd at least expect it to be more reliable than the average Ford.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Who says it's not? And dealer mark ups, that is just capitalism at work. The same capitalisim that puts you in a position to consider buying one. The recall I would consider a good thing. In years past car builders hid that sort of thing.

11. Jon7

Jon7 Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    VA
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You're right. I will give Ford credit for acknowledging the problem and doing something about it. From the tone of the article in Autoweek, the opinion seemed to be that this is not the standard fix.

12. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Designed by humans...built by humans...driven by humans...fixed by humans....what did you expect.....

That's why you have a warranty.

13. YenkoYS100

YenkoYS100 Karting

Sep 9, 2004
    Payson, AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Gloria McClurkan
    I can certainly understand people who are not used to hand built exotic cars, jumping to conclusions. Everything that has to do with the GT is front page news.......... and every TSB is scrutinized as if the car is a complete failure (no matter how minor it is). What is never discussed in any of these articles is how the car is, in the context of others of its ilk.

Thus, the jest is always, next to a Toyota Camry, the Ford GT is a POS.

I find it rather refreshing that Ford is being so upfront with the issues, and actually seems to be trying to correct them before most owners even know there is an issue. This is a far cry from Toyota, who does everything in their power to hide any and all problems from the media............ and even from their own customers.

That said, we are still trying to figure out how much our very cute 3-year old will fetch, and the market value of good kidneys.............. to try to get one. (j/k) :D

14. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    I was going to buy a Ferrari first anyway ... but if I have money to spare after that I'd still take a GT after a little oil leak!

15. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I definitely WON'T be getting a Ford GT now

Oooh, oooh, please, please let me get that cheap depreciated one you don't get? OK?

16. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    So this is news? Most high end cars are, in general, less reliable than your mass produced vehicles. My 360 has had numerous issues, my TR has been pretty good but still has had some issues. (But pretty darn good for a 17 year old car!)

This is common -- it has to do with the lack of development engineering (meaning budget) for these limited production cars. Many components are mfg. by external vendors/companies and they cannot affford to spend the money on the engineering/reliability issues for such small production runs. Just the way it is.

On the Ford GT the big thing is the suspension arms. They crack around the outer ball joint housing, due to a mfg. process flaw. (Cold flow issues in the casting.)

Ford is having all new billet arms built. They are all 3 to 5 axis NC milled bits that are to be machined and then shot blasted in such a way that they will look very much like a cast part. Seems odd but Ford wants the part to fit into the already approved assembly process (don't ask-way complicated). They will be nice parts-at least Ford is biting the bullet and doing the fix correctly. It is a hugely expensive fix but they will not break! Trust me on this-it's my company that are making the machined parts for Ford.

17. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Doesn't "Speedi-Sleeve" have a cousin who works for Chevy named "Sneeky Pete"?

18. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    id still buy a GT. "oo a little oil leak save me save me!"

19. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    My 355, Alfa 166 ( sold ). previous 5 Alfas,V6's and Twincam 4's and my Ducati 916 leak as well. In China, my 993tt leaks too. But I love 'em all to bits....

20. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    toyota is the best run and most profitable car company in the world according to business week , the wall street journal,the economist , and other publications also..they also have made the most reliable cars in the world over the past ten years, according to various surveys...so i would like to know what problems you are talking about..can you please document these and how they "hide" them from the media and their own customers?..if they do, i would love to know about it....

21. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Google "Sienna Engine Sludge" and see what you get.

22. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    thanks, will do...

23. YenkoYS100

YenkoYS100 Karting

Sep 9, 2004
    Payson, AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Gloria McClurkan
    While you are researching, you can also check on head gasket problems. While this problem is a bit older, it spanned close to 10-years, and covered not only the 3.0 V6, but the 3.4L as well (at least in its early years).

Thats another one that you have never heard about. It was kept very hush hush. If it would have been Ford or GM, it would have been front page news for 10 years.

The Toyota Tundra trucks have had loads of problems. Braking system problems are the most prominent. However, there have also been alot of electrical problems............. and with the 4.7L V8, there has been alot of cold start knock, and pinging problems.

Bet you never heard about those either.

Remember when BMW's were catching fire left and right (while driving, or mainly when sitting in your driveway or garage)................ and all models were doing it??? Probably not. Only 1 publication ever reported it, and the recall ended up encompassing pretty much all models.

The point being, just because you don't see it in the media, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. When you actually do the research, you will find that all manufacturers have problems............... both serious and minor. Some just aren't media "darlings." In other words, a Ford exec can fart in the mens room, and it will be front page news.