Cheap source 308QV/Mondial Spark Plug wires | FerrariChat

Cheap source 308QV/Mondial Spark Plug wires

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by michaelthuber, May 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michaelthuber

michaelthuber Karting

Mar 4, 2003
    Cincinnati, Ohio, US
    Full Name:
    Michael Huber
    Does anyone have a reliable source for a cheap set of 308QV plug wires for my Mondial? I checked the archives and I found the 308 part swap page that shows a Dodge V8 pickup part number. Has anyone actually tried these? Has any one built their own by using Accel or other 7mm silicone wires. Other ideas? I just can't see paying`$500. for 8 plug wires and 2 coil wires.
    Thanks

2. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    When I checked with FoUK, wires for a GT4 were much less than you quote. However, I got a set of 8mm Accel wires and cut them to length. Check their website - there are generic V8 sets in multiple color choices (red!!). Get ones with a 45deg boot (hmm.... they might call it 135deg). I got straight ones, and the boots are too long. They hit the firewall in front. There is plenty of wire, so you can make coil wires with the trimmings. You'll have to scrape a bit of insulation off the ends to get them into the holes in the distr cap.

I like the technology of the Accel wires. Also excellent is Magnacore.

3. GREENHOUSE

GREENHOUSE Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    MIKE
    I MADE A SET OF WIRES FOR THE MONDIAL AND A TR. I USED TAYLOR WIRES 8mm THERE A LITTLE TIGHT FIT BUT WORKED FINE, YOU NEED TO REMOVE YOUR OLD BOOTS AND REUSE THEM. TRY USEING NO GRIT HAND CLEANER FOR LUBE WHEN INSTALLING THE WIRE BOOTS.

4. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I just purchased 2 sets of 2v plug wires off ebay for $100 per set. The guy was very nice and I ended up just ordering a Thermostat for $29 from him as well. His email is [email protected]. He sells alot of Maserati parts and seems to be able to under cut just about all the sources I checked. I have not recieved the wires or the thermostat yet (should recieve them tomorrow or Saturday) so this is not yet an endorsement. The other idea is I think you can buy the terminals and wire by the foot at GT Car Parts and build your own, I am just not that confident in my skills. Ph: GT Car Parts (623) 780-2200. www.italiancarparts.com has a set of aftermarket wires for $189 per set.

5. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I got a set of OEM Cavis wires for my '85 QV from George Evans for approx $240. That was the year before last. Perfect fit and no problems since.

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    FYI, 2v plug wires aren't the same core as QV wires.

7. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I understang that. I thought the source might actually have QV wires as well. The wires I bought are OEM Cavis wires (the wires should arrive today or tomorrow so I will know if I got ripped off or not). I should have been more clear.

8. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    My wires arrived today and they are perfect. Has the correct Ferrari Part number on the original bags. This seller on ebay is very easy to deal with. You may check him out for QV wires. His ebay name is maseratisource.

9. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    I used Accell 8mm. No need to scrape ends. Just use some silicone or vaselline and they will fit perfectly. $ 30 @ Pep Boys

10. michaelthuber

michaelthuber Karting

Mar 4, 2003
    Cincinnati, Ohio, US
    Full Name:
    Michael Huber
    Thanks to all who have replied. I think I'll do the Accel thing UNLESS someone out there has an OEM replacement set that they just can't wait to get rid of.
    Mike

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    So 8mm wires will fit the spark plug boots and distributor even though the OEM wires are only 7mm? And, are the 8mm really better than the 7mm wires?

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    It's not an easy fit, but it can be done.

13. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Are the Accel 8mm leads red in color and do they include the coil wires for 2 distributors ?

14. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    They are red, (I think they have 3 or 4 color choices) but you have to make the other coil wire. Very easy, and I've descibed the process in the post below:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39303&highlight=accel

Dom

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Since the BB512i comes with black wires, I want to find some good hi-pro black wires to keep the old Fiat Boxer looking stock.

16. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You might check the Magnacor website and the Kingsborne websites for black wire sets. They both manufacture Ferrari sets. Kingsborne even uses the factory oem Beru terminations.