"Hyper-Flow" Catalytic Converter? | FerrariChat

"Hyper-Flow" Catalytic Converter?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gatorrari, Mar 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Does anyone have any experience with the "Hyper-Flow" catalytic converters being sold by Ricambi America?

Are they as durable, and will they do as well in emissions tests? And how does the sound level compare with the stock cat?

And I'm looking for independent testimonials, not from the vendor.

2. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Hi Jim,

Various folks on this board have Hyper-Flow catalytic converters on their Ferraris.

They are made of the highest quality. While the stock Ferrari catalytic converters on various Ferrari models have a propensity to break up or melt (and possibly cause a fire and/or other disasters), the Hyper-Flows present no such danger.

They are designed with emissions regulations in mind, so don't worry about failing an emissions test.

The sound is incredible. I've ridden in an F355 with Hyper-Flow cats, and the sound is truly breathtaking compared to stock. They allow for about 95% air flow--100% air flow would exist if no catalytic converters were in place!

Do a search and you'll find plenty of testimony if no one responds here.

3. Nick

Nick Formula Junior
    Sponsor Professional Ferrari Technician

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Scianna
    These cats are fantastic, check out this link on my site on a 360 challenge car running the Hyper flow cats, the HP & TORQUE are impressive.

http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/forzaferrariwebsite1_057.htm

They sound different than the OEM cat; they do not choke the living S#@T of the exhaust! Your car will also run cooler, anytime you can eliminate heat, it makes it easier on the engine components. Yes I sell them also, but I can tell you they are the finest High performance cats on the market today. 4% flow difference that a straight pipe, that is serious!

4. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have a Tubi and Hyperflows on my 348 spider. When I got my car, the factory cats had been punched so the exhaust stunk of fuel (v. bad in an open car) and of course it didn't pass the smog check here in California. Since I had to get new cats I went with the Hyperflows and had them installed at the same time as my Tubi. Passed smog with flying colors, the fuel smell is gone as well. Definitely louder than Tubi with stock cats - had my car next to zsnnf's 348 with Tubi and stock cats this morning idling and mine sounds that bit more aggressive.

Bottom line is I'm very happy - since I had to get cats it cost what it cost but I am also really happy I didn't go with test pipes due to the smell.

Cannot comment on longevity as I've only had them on say 9 months.

I guess I'd say if you need new cats I'd get them way before factory ones. I'm not going to wade in to the "test pipes/environmental" area but I reckon these are the best of both worlds.

Cheers
    Kevin

5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Jim,
    I am having one put on my 328 right now during the major service. I should get it back in a few days and let you know. The dealer said they were very impressed with the quality and design.

6. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I am impressed with the dyno results, is the hyperflow cats the only mod? Have you compared the weight and is it lighter on hyperflows? By how much?

Edit: A/F ratio seems much higher than the factory setting???

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The technician says he thinks my cat is breaking up internally and will need to be replaced; the oxygen sensor recently failed and was replaced. Since Ricambi's price seems fair for a new cat (but does anyone know of a lower price?) I figure that might be better than a used OEM cat. Thanks for the opinions, people!

8. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Jim,
    I think the price is fair over a Ferrari piece. A used one may be on its way out, also. Mine directly from Hyper Flow was $800 shipped next day air.

When I get my used one back, feel free to make me an offer on it, but it does have 48K miles.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I want a cat that has only 4000 miles less on it than my own.

I've found a couple of FerrariChat sponsors selling the unit for about $725, though that is without shipping, so I'll have to add that for a good comparison. The car is running fine as of now, so I'll probably wait to buy the new cat until my next emissions test in December.

10. Nick

Nick Formula Junior
    Sponsor Professional Ferrari Technician

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Scianna
    Hi 412fly, the dyno test was done by Steve Maxwell, he has an independent shop in southern California, Steve also has wicked twin turbo 348 that was at Concorso Italiano last year in Monterey. Crazy car, I loved it! When I talked to Troy at Hyper-Flow as far as I am aware there was no other modifications to the Challenge car other than the cats. The cats are lighter & can get the specs if you wish, send me an e mail
    At [email protected]
    Or call me at 360 410 1949 for more info.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Here is a cheaper cat, but I have no idea of this is a quality item, or junk.

http://members.aol.com/SportsCarConvert/index.html

Direct link to Ferrari applications:
    http://members.aol.com/SportsCarConvert/Ferrari.html

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  13. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B

Heya Nick, got those for a grumpy old carb'd 308? Do you know how they affect emissions compliance /w/ this particular car? How about for an 89 Countach?

BTW, got the belts and gaskets for the waterpump on Fri.

Drew Altemara likes this.
  14. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I talked to Ed there. He's also a Ferrari owner... curently a 1979 308GTB, past ownership of 1975 308GT4, 1972 246GT and a 1986 328 along with the Dino V6 engineed 1967 Fiat Dino Spider and a 1969 Fiat Dino Coupe. Anyway, it sounds like the units are the same as the Hyperflows on the INSIDE... they just don't spend all that money on grinding down the outer welds and polishing the stainless exterior. It's like the difference between a Tubi exhaust and a Stebro... very similar in performance, but the Stebro isn't as pretty as the Tubi, but is also only half the price!

I'm trying to work out a discount on the Max-Flows for FCA members... I'll let you know.

15. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Mike, thank you for your research. I looked at their site and was interested. A F'Chat discount would be most attractive.

16. chenshan

chenshan Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Chenshan Wu
    I own a 92 euro 348 ts with Tubi. I love the sound of it. I wonder if those converters can really make it sound even better. If this is true, I would like to buy a pair of them. But, which one is the best?

17. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I just ordered one to test out. It was interesting talking with the owner, Ed again. Nice guy.

No group discount deal settled on yet, though, and I paid the full advertised price (which still isn't bad if the metal matrix core indeed performs like a HyperFlow).

18. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Mike,
    Will be VERY interested in your thoughts on the construction, and more importantly, the results of a CO and HC test.

19. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I'll give feedback when it's here. We don't do smog tests here in Alabama, but the owner tells me that they're guaranteed to meet the California emissions levels so it should be no problem. What I *will* be comparing is the seat-of-pants, sound (and smell) relative to a Stebro Euro Resonator (aka test pipe), which of course is night-and-day more open acceleration than the factory cat. The MaxFlow fabricator tells me that the new cat has essentially the same internals as the HyperFlow/Random Technology but without the pretty exterior (and for half the price); he offers the same warrantee that they do, and also a satisfaction guarantee. Likewise it is also supposed to flow within 4%-5% of a test pipe, which is what all the new high-performance honeycomb fill cats claim in contrast to the standard pellet fill cats.

20. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    I installed Hyperflows with my Tubi muffler and there is no significant noise difference between the Hyperflows and the OEM Cats, therefore I would not expect there to be much difference with the simulated Hyperflows at 1/2 the cost. Be sure when you install either the Hyperflows or anybody else's CATs that you unplug the O2 sensors and undo the zip ties so you rotate the whole assembly including the wires when you are unscrewing the O2 sensors without twisting the wires. Also when the CATs are out, remove the transaxle support bolts that poke up at the CATs. Ferrari made these 3/8 inch too long and they potentially interfere with the CAT position. Replace the same bolts with 3/8" of washers under their heads. This will suck the bolt ends down flush with the transaxle mount fitting countour.

21. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
  22. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.

I just put one on my Mondial. Can't speak to the performance ramifications, since the motor was badly out of tune and fixed at the same time the new cat was installed, but it did fly through emissions and there were no fitment issues.

23. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    How hard is it to remove the stock cat from a mondial3.2 and replace with this new one? What iare the steps?
    Nate

24. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Interesting - not sure I would agree as I had my 348 spider sitting right next to another 348 with Tubi but factory cats and mine was definitely louder at idle. If you go to http://www.albertfattal.com/PartiFerrari.htm and download video #6 you will get a good idea of the Tubi/Hyperflow combo on a 348. Cannot help on a 328 but this will give you an idea...

Cheers
    Kevin