308 rear suspension | FerrariChat

308 rear suspension

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jon s, Mar 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    I am replacing lower rear A arm bushings in an 81 gtsi. Any special considerations or is this straight forward cart technology? Thanks.

2. geekstreet

geekstreet Karting

Feb 7, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cam
    Many considerations, a primary one being the bush outer sleeve has to be tack-welded in place. Check the recent Tech articles (past 2 weeks) as the various ways of doing this job have just been covered in LOTS of great detail.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What type of bushings are you going to use?

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    While you are in there you might as well do the upper arms as well. The difference in labour is tiny. Also be sure to check the outer bushings as well. they have internal sleeves that can be replaced and are dirt cheap. When the rear end is that far apart it is foolish not to check these things. Do it right, do it once.

5. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Clean and lube the bushings on the cast upright.

Check the boots on the axles.

If you are considering SS brake lines, it would be quicker with all the stuff out of the way.

Check the sway bar bushings.

hth,
    chris

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Make sure you do a 4-wheel alignment afterwards...

7. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    thanks for your input. I've ordered stock bushings from ferrari of atlanta and will check the outboard sleve play. i'm also replacing all the sway bar bushings. is a four wheel realignment really needed if the old shims are reused?

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    A 4 wheel alignment is definatly necessary as the new bushings will locate the suspension at different angles than before. Besides an alignment is cheap and does wonders for the ride.

9. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    i'm new to this wonder of online mechanical support (god knows all those old alfa repairs would have been a lot easier); geekstreet suggested checking recent tech articles. how are those accessed? thanks.

10. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Jon,

Just curious as to why you went with stock rubber bushings rather than the improved poly bushings. If you want to stay as original as possible, i can undrstand that, cool.

An alignment is definitely needed. After i did my bushings, i had a rough alignment and the guy took a 1/4 inch shim out of the left rear. the old bushings were badly cracked, fairly uniformly, top to bottom, right to left and front to rear, they all looked fairly uniformly shabby and the guy took a big bunch of shims out of one corner, so yes get the whole alignment done. for reference, the car handled fine and there was no irregular tire ware pattern evident before i did the rebuild.

For what is worth, i would seggest that you drive the car for a couple of hundred miles to settle the suspension, that is to "normalize" the rubber bushings. Then have the suspension bushing sleeves tack welded to the A Arms. From my meager understanding, the ruber bushings are "bonded" to the sleeves. the sleeves are a tight fit into the a arms. so, if you do not kind of get things happy, you could end up with an uneven bushing preset. might make martha stewart blush, crabbing down the road, oh well, so much for good intentions,

hth,
    chris

11. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Ive sort of already asked this question but I dont think I got a reply.As far as A-arm bushes I need 16 of one particular bush and for the rear do I need another 8 bushes for the outer part of the arm or are all the bushes the same?Do I then need another 8 bushes for the shocks?Please someone shed some light. Thanks

12. geekstreet

geekstreet Karting

Feb 7, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cam
    Go back a few weeks (click on prev page #'s 2, 3, 4 on top-right of Tech Q&A display) & check for articles on suspension bushings. Here's a couple :

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49955
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50207

Or try the Search in top toolbar.

13. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    maurice -- Check the illustrations in the 308 SPC at the FerrariUK site:

16 of the "30 mm" flexible (or polyurethane) bushing do the front inner and rear inner 308 A-arm joints.

The rear outboard 308 A-arm joints are close-fitting cylindrical hard parts that need periodic relubrication. You'd only replace those parts if they're worn beyond a reasonable limit.

The shocks use a different (flangeless) flexible bushing -- the quantity needed is 8 if doing all 4 shocks.

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The bushings should be tack welded during initial installation. The compensation/normalizatin should be done by loostening the bushing thru-bolts which will let the inner sleeve rotate on the bolt, into it's natural position. You want to do this adjustment a couple of times:

When you've installed the bushings, leave the bolts slightly loose. Use something to support the hubs. A Concrete block with a plank on it under each brake rotor is fine. Lower the car until the supports are carrying the car's weight. At this point, the car should be as level as possible. The bushings will have rotated on the bolts so that they aren't under tension.

Now torque down the bolts.

After a couple hundred miles, put the car up on the supports again, loosten the bolts, Give the ends of each sleeve a squirt of oil to help it slide on the bolt. let it sit a few hours, then re-torque the bolts.

Now take it in for that wheel alignment.

15. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    Does anyone know what to torque the bolts on the a-arm bushings to?

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    You won't be able to get a torque wrench on it. General feel is the order of the day here. Tight but not gorilla tight.

17. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Thanks Steve for your clear answer

18. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #18 PeterS, Mar 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    geekstreet: thanks; i understand how to do this now. this chat is the best thing for us aging driveway mechanics since sliced bread. jon s.

20. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    Sure you can get a torque wrench on it. Why wouldn't you?