standard vs 16" wheels for 308 gt4 | FerrariChat

standard vs 16" wheels for 308 gt4

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rickjaffe, Mar 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rickjaffe

rickjaffe Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2005
    houston
    Full Name:
    richard jaffe
    on my 308gt4 which I'm getting next week there are standard gts 14" inch wheels and tires, and a set of 16" light BBS wheels only. The BBS's look better. I've read that a 16" wheel will allow newer tire technology compared with tire technology available on the 14". This supposedly will translate into better handling, traction and road feel. What do you guys think?

if so, what's a reasonable 16" tire to get. I'm intending the car as almost a daily driver, some highway,but mostly city; was told to avoid rain because of the vents above the engine will let in rain which will cause steam, so I guess I won't be needing rain performance tires.

if I go with the 16", I'll probably sell the 14" camps wheels with the tires on them on ebay. What are they worth? thanks rick jaffe, (a very excited soon to be 308 gt4 ownew)

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    16" tires will greatly improve performance over stock. As for a good tire to get, Kumhos are excellent for the money and I have Michelins on my 16's. The rain worry is bogus just drive the car. The going rate for used 14's is pretty low. So low that you may want to keep them (about $400-500 set)

3. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.
    If I did that I'd not go out often in this nice sunny country!! As my friend above says get out and drive it - this winter due to unavoidable garage congestion my GT4 has lived outside and been used weekly. Seems to have agreed with it so far and has been fun in the snow...

Oh and don't get too fussed about the tires - I'm sure that 16" is the way to go eventually, especially for any track use, but I've had 7000 miles of fun on my 205/70 14's so far. I'll change when the budget allows but it's not my first priority at present. I know it'll look a lot meaner on the 16's but a part of me might miss the "period" 70 profile skinny wheel look....

4. marankie

marankie Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Agoura Hills, Calif
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I would not drive my GT-4 in the rain, in fact I will not wash it in the usual way (use quick detailer spray instead). The reason has nothing to do with handling or any other reasons like that.
    THE REASONS IS RUST.
    The gt4 was built before the age of manufactures using galvanized steel as a starting point for pressing body panels.
    The GT-4 has lots of places like the inner rear fenders, where the contruction consists of the outer panel, with an inner re-enforcing steel panel spot welded to it. Both are bare steel, water can and does get in easly, but takes forwever to evaporate out. This forms rust, which progresses to body rot. Same thing in the bottom of the doors. Same thing in trunk outer corners to name but just a view.
    Conclusion: GT-4s and water do not mix.
    Martin Jansen
    '75 gt-4 "Tweety"
    Agoura Hills,
    So. Cal.

5. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    great post and all so true.

GT4's must be babied.

6. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    When I got new 14" tyres for my GT4 there were only 2 choices, one of which was a semi off road tyre. So yes, you will get a better choice with 16".

But the 14" wheels look more in keeping IMHO and the road tyres available in that size (Goodyear) are pretty good.

7. rickjaffe

rickjaffe Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2005
    houston
    Full Name:
    richard jaffe
    regarding the rust issue, I plan on getting a car capsule, which has a fan which supposedly dries the car by exchanging the air 3 times per hour. I'm wondering whether that might not help the moisture problem if the car get wet.

8. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    The capsule is probably one of the best things to get IMO. I am assuming it comes with a dehumidifier. I use one in my garage and it works great, but I am discouraged that I have to empty the dehumidifier daily as it holds 46 pints. I don't know from where this moisture is getting in at. 46 pints in 24hours is mind boggling.

9. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #9 robertgarven, Mar 11, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My car has no visible rust and all previous owners treated it the same i use 3 small buckets one with soap and two with water have only rinsed it off once in 100 degree weather when 100 birds crapped on it in ten minutes (I swear) and it started raining on a FCA drive and I started crying (another story!) I agree with martin the less water the longer the life, but that is your call. I consider myself a caretaker of my car and the next guy who gets it after I die will be very lucky..... I call it the car of Dorian Grey every day i get uglier and every day it gets nicer, some day I will die and i will look 18 again and the car will turn into a rust bucket!!! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login