New laptops? | FerrariChat

New laptops?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by vraa, Mar 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    So what have you guys been messing around with laptop wise. My uncle (doctor, needs it for his secretary) has asked me (the family IT guy) to get him a new laptop. I remembered getting the IBM discount from ASG 86TR but the EPP is no longer in effect.

Should I still go for another Thinkpad or have there been new comers into the market?

In other news but totally unrelated, I finally got my dualie back up. Man, does that iTunes visualization run super smooth (at 1600*1200) mind you!

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    thinkpads will always rock, but they are overpriced well above the market and the software that has roll back features are a PITA for a tweaker like myself.

Dell's latitudes are nice, inspirons are as well. What is the dollar amount he is looking at spending, and I'll see what items are out there.

If it is something simple, I might be able to swing a deal on an older thinkpad, but not directly through me, but through someone else.

3. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    You really can't go wrong with Dell - and they have good support if needed.

The price is pretty good as well - so that is where I always direct the end users that need a good base system.

As Schatten mentioned IBM is pretty good as well - but you will probably pay a bit of premium - I run a T41 IBM for work - which has been pretty good the last year or so.

You can always look at overstock.com - they have some nice (New Old Stock - unused by a generation back) of Compaqs, Sony, etc. Since I am thinking that HP is not necessary - that might be a good way to go and save some dough.

Rich

4. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    IBM's are the best, if you can afford them.

I've had pretty good luck with HP's lately as well.

IBM, HP, or Dell, in that order.

5. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Ain't it a b!tch to be "that guy?" I am in the same spot... I started telling family members, "I used to know alot about them, but these days, they're so complicated... " :D

6. S0ul_R3Venant

S0ul_R3Venant Karting

Nov 30, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    #6 S0ul_R3Venant, Mar 9, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The IBM Thinkpads are very nice, very powerful and light. Sony Viaos are good as well. Both are quite expensive. Dell & HP are a bang for the buck.

On the other hand, I got an Alienware. I think its an awesome performer. long battery life, 4hours to 5 hours max. depending on what programs are running. Its great for my school work and I can play games on it. haha

Here are some pix if no one has seen how they look.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Some of the new Thinkpads we are getting here at work have the fingerprint system in them. So instead of typing a password just roll your finger across the sensor and poof you are in

8. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    That bio-metric stuff is overrated..I have it on my Ipaq....It's mainly a ohh-ahh selling feature.....

On the other hand, is anyone using a widescreen laptop??...I am curious as to how they are for regular computing tasks with the 16:9

9. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini

Yeah I guess you are right I would much rather enter in a complex password that I have to change every 15 days or remember and type in a pass phase combination to gain entry.

10. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Those things have been available to the public for 10 years...I had one on my system at home YEARS ago.....Maybe it motivates the workforce based on a thinking that they work at the "cool" place.....

11. Kboy007

Kboy007 Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2004
    Allen
    Full Name:
    Mike Verinder
    I didnt get a wide screen because i travel almost 90 percent and a widescreen would just make it harder. That being said.
    I just got a new HP about 2 weeks ago.
    HP and compaq are the most Bang for the buck. So ill just put some postitives and negatives in this post.

Positive

- spent 2k. this is what i got.
    - integrated wireless B/G.
    - a wider screen than the norm. but not a "big widescreen" - this was my preference.
    - 3.2ghz pen 4 with HT tech.
    - 100 gig HD
    - 1 gig memory
    - 128k shared video memory. (which is ok cause i got plenty of memory)
    - cd r/w DVD r/w
    - Ethernet and phone plugs
    - 4 usb 2.0 slots
    - memory slots for SD etc.
    - svideo plug (for the tv)
    - harman/kardon speakers.
    - awesome vivid screen.

Negative.
    - the freaking thing is pretty heavy at 8+ pounds.
    - The freaking cord and power pack(for the cord) are huge and takeup "backpack" space. (i would guess the cord alone is 3 pounds)
    - kinda big. (even though this isnt their big widescreen model..) its still pretty big for the road warrior.
    - touch pad is too big and sensitive. i tend to set it off alot if im not careful.

12. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    hook it to a Tv sometime and tell how it looks

13. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The Fujitsu Lifebook at $1600 is an awesome value.

14. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    Depending on budget and user knowledge, there are a few options.

The Apple Powerbook G4 ($1500) or the iBook ($1000). I am just a big mac fan. And with Longhorn coming out from Micro$oft in 2007, I do not think I will ever buy a pc again (I have a pc and mac).

Alienware would be my next choice, but if it is a pc only comparison, Alienware would be my definite choice.

then IBM, HP, and Dell in the far distance (all items made in house, and are poor quality). Dell's are cheap, but are not quality.

15. robgct

robgct Karting

May 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    rob
  16. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
  17. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    guys,

please check out SAGER before you buy anything above -- SAGER/CLEVO is the OEM company for Dell and Alienware amongst others, so you get Dell/Alienware reliability and performance without the markup! I am writing this from a 3.8Ghz laptop with 2GB of ram, a 256MB ATI x800 video card, a 100GB HD, and a 17" glossy WSXGA monitor which I bought for less than $3500 dollars. Absolute monster!!! They have many models up and down the range depending on what your needs are. The best prices are from

http://www.pctorque.com

cheers,
    richard

18. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    The thing has got to be light, so those 5lb+ monsters are out.

No Apples, just too hard to tech support something that's new.

And I'm looking for maximum battery life and not really any gaming power. It's for a doctor, there's no 3d rendering :)

I'm looking at about 2000$ BUT (!) that price includes a laptop printer. So, 1500$ for the laptop?

19. BriSalig

BriSalig Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    i just got a sony vaio fs. I LOVE IT! Great computer

20. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Already have 2 Sony GTR-170's. Will not buy another Sony laptop ever again.

21. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I have an HP widescreen but it sits on the table next to my desktop mostly. Got a good deal while travelling for work and haven't done any travelling since, go figure. Seems to work well but kind of seems odd at times when a web page comes up really wide :)

22. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    No widescreen here, no need for it. Plus, like you said, it's a bit weird when a webpage comes up wide.

I wish I could build my own laptop easily. Where are those whitebooks we were promised years back?

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Almost 3 years ago I got the best Dell I could not worrying too much about the money. Came out to $4k, but good news is the performance still rocks and I haven't had any problems. Inspiron 8200 I think.

2 GB Ram
    2 Ghz Intel
    80 GB Hard Drive
    All software
    Pimp snake skin palm pads! :D

I might buy another one soon and use this for backups.

Has been a great computer. Only problem was software related. Since I installed Kazaa after I got the computer I get the BSD when calling out on modem. I haven't fixed because I never use a modem and reloading the entire computer is too much work. I spent a good 40 hours researching the problem and trying to fix any way but having to reload.

That's a good history for a lap top I use as my daily computer.

I just ran pricing for all the options I want on the Inspiron 9300.

I'm really amazed that the performance isn't much more or even less (2 GB RAM would cost $1,100 more!) than my 8200 that is almost 3 years old!

The following is $3,200...

Inspiron 9300

Intel® Pentium® M 760 Processor (2GHz/533MHz FSB) SM2HM [221-7311] 1

Operating System:
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional WPXP [412-0689][412-0706][420-4770][420-4830][420-4928][463-2282] 11

LCD Panel:
    17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™ 17UXGAS [320-4256] 2

Memory:
    1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm 1GB2D [311-3732] 3

Hard Drive:
    100GB Hard Drive 100GB [341-1809] 8

Combo/DVD+RW Drives:
    Free Upgrade!! 24X CD-RW/DVD Combination Drive with Sonic RecordNow 24XCDVP [463-8411][420-5111] 16

Video Card:
    256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800 256NV [320-4185] 6

Primary Battery:
    9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (80 WHr) 9BAT [312-0283] 27

Additional Batteries:
    9-cell Lithium Ion Additional Battery (80 WHr) 9BATAD [312-0284] 80

Power Adapter:
    Spare AC adapter (Power Cord) - 90w 65WS [320-4094] 9

Productivity Software:
    Microsoft Office Professional-Includes Outlook,Word,Excel,PowerPoint,Access IXPPROC [412-0470] 22

Security Software:
    Norton Internet Security 2005- Antivirus, Firewall, AntiSpam, 15-months NIS15M [412-0760] 25

Adobe Software:
    Adobe® Acrobat® Elements 6.0 - Publish to PDF ADOBEL [430-1049] 15

Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices:
    External USB Floppy Drive USBFD [341-0180] 10

External Mouse:
    Dell 2-Button Scroll Optical USB Mouse OM [310-4074] 12

LCD/Color Kits:
    Carbon Fiber QuickSnap™ Cover CARBON [310-6179] 60

Digital Music:
    Dell Jukebox - easy-to-use music player and CD burning software MMBASE [412-0741] 26

24. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Rob :(

How long did the battery last on that beast?

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have the original 2 batteries. Each will last 2 hours of hard usage. I don't use power saver mode. Too dim. One still works great, the other one is bugging out now, will go from 60% to 0% and shut off at about an hour.