The official replica/re-creation thread | Page 7 | FerrariChat

The official replica/re-creation thread

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    p4, this is good stuff. Is the right place to go Norwood for the p4? are there others?
    Chelle who does the fiberglass GTO? Thanks again
    Gary

2. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #152 P4Replica, Mar 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you've got LOTS of $'s to spend, it might just still be, Gary - though as far as I know Bob Norwood doesn't build them any more (since his aluminium body-builder Raymond Chovanetz passed away a few years ago, and demand for the cars lapsed). It's still a possibility, though - See: http://www.mcautocreations.com/ , but complete turnkey Norwood P4's, of a similar specification, used to cost around $350K !
    The yellow Norwood P4, owned by Ed Cohen is currently for sale, asking price is $275K.
    Also, the 330GT powered (but fibreglass-bodied) car, owned by Harold Javetz, see: photos of it here, was also offered for sale, last year, at an asking price of a mere $125K.
    If you fancy building your own car, then this is the place to go, nowadays: http://www.nfauto.co.uk
    Neil Foreman is currently building this 400GT-powered car for a customer. The V-12 is a tight fit (lengthways) in a Foreman P4, and neccesitates some minor modifications to the firewall / bulkhead, and moving the anciliaries from the front of the motor. Neil has previously built another 400GT powered car, and his own P4 'Can-Am' with a 400i, so it's not a major problem for him ....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    P4, now thats what were talking about. These are along the lines that deserve my engine. Thanks for the imput.
    Best regards

Gary

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Gee I better buy my 365GT/4 or 400GT 2+2 soon ... even though I suggested the P4 replica route (and potentially what an awesome car that would be ...), it is a little alarming to see the volume of engines lost to the replica market STILL.

But we have been there and discussed that :)
    Pete

5. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Psk, not to worry, my motor is a replacement motor or dealer allocation motor and is new, at least it was in 1972, its never been in a car and was only run at the factory. I will take it completely down and do higher compression pistons, port and valve work, fuel injection, new seals ect. From what I can see these replica's are very cool so get the twisties out of your underware.

Best regards

Gary

6. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Gary - are you close to Chicago? like I said - you're welcome to look at the cars anytime .. I'll send you a PM with more info..
    Paul, Thanx for the info - I have considered the possability of fabricating an intake. I can handle the computer and installing it but I don't know who to get to fabricate the intake and throttlebodies.
    Wayne - we have some trainer from Lockheed here all day - I'll PM you later in the day or tonight from home. :)
    Chelle

7. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    What would I know about trying to put a Ferrari V12 underneath a repro body that looks "ferrariesque"? The thought never occured to me.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49066&highlight=caribee

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7177&highlight=caribee

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5940&highlight=caribee

8. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Hey Arlie ....
    Your posts have lost their photos. Still, I found these few of somebody else's Caribee: http://www.cse.msu.edu/~luongomi/caribee.html
    Sorry - got to disagree with you. Not very Ferrari-esque .... Or maybe it's just the colour scheme of this one ?
    And those gullwing doors - Ouch ! Bang your head every time ? Dammit !

9. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #159 Horsefly, Mar 14, 2005
    Paul, most of the earlier postings lost all the photos due to the "Great F-chat Database Crash of '04". Perhaps not Ferrari-esque in the opinion of some, but keep in mind that a NON-original body is NON-original, no matter who makes it. A repro body that was hammered out by some "old man" himself is still a repro! A repro 250GTO body made in 2005 is no more original than a 40 year old kit car body. (A 40 year old kit car body should get a little credit just for having survived for 40 years.)

And yes, the color is awful on that one.

But who copied WHO? The Caribee was just an old kit car made in 1965. A Drogo Ferrari was built when? Surely a lowly kit car couldn't have a design that predates the Drogo/Nembo designs. It certainly looks like everybody was copying everybody else back then.

10. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Yes, Arlie ....
    And people with (fibreglass or other) replicas shouldn't criticise other peoples' replicas.
    Apologies for that mistake !
    I was, of course, mentally comparing the Caribee to a standard Scaglietti-bodied ('62) 250GTO.
    So, indeed if not Ferrari-esque, the Caribee could honestly be described as Drogo-esque:
    http://www.tybrainstorm.de/drogo/2-sieben1.html
    http://www.tybrainstorm.de/drogo/1-norinder.html
    http://www.tybrainstorm.de/drogo/ecuri.html

11. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    That Fiberfab kit car looks more like a Shelby Cobra Daytona coupe rip-off than a Ferrari GTO rip-off to me. At least from the rear.

Terry

12. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Thanks for the links Paul. I guess that any V-12 replica debate will come down to what is "acceptable". Is a fiberglass kit car body acceptable? Or does it have to be an aluminum body hand hammered in Italy? Of course in the real world, tinkering with a replica of any kind is preferable to day dreaming over a million dollar original that will only exist in a coffee table book for most of us. (I'd be lucky to find any V12 at all.)

13. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
  14. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    senna, this redline stuff looks great and will give the old girl a much needed performance boost after all the other mods. The Webers are great and have that wonderful sound, but injection will give more air flow and more throttle responce across the entire rpm range. tnx Gary

15. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #165 P4Replica, Mar 15, 2005
    Charles.
    Thanks for posting that. I had omitted to reply to Chelle's earlier question .... (Apologies, Chelle !)
    Looks like you provided her with the perfect solution. I was interested to see what their DCNF-replacement bodies looked like - and to compare them to the (self-made) ones fitted to the 330GT motor in the P4 replica that Jim Carpenter built (see post #11). Looks like he made the castings simply by using the original carbs and manifolds to take moulds off - hence each throttle body takes 4 injectors, instead of 2 as on the Redline DCNF's .... See below.

16. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    might be the TR replica that needs an engine that Greg Jones in Stuart Florida is selling. Greg has also built several GTO "spiders." I don't have his number handy. Try directory info if interested. Frank Beard of ZZ Top has one of the GTO spiders. Greg is one of the top metal fabricators in the country.

KevFla

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

that is the way to go. im not sure where your budget lies, but, if large enough...kevin is correct.

or, contact lee holman @ holman automotive and get contact info for the famous jim rose of the uk. jim is a legend and is simply masterful.

one more option would be roberto villa of auto sport in bastiglia.

all of the above can build you an alloy recreation.

peter

18. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  19. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
  20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm bitting my tonque here ... but I am weak ;). So few replica projects are ever finished (and I applaud people who do actually finish them and do them properly, owe such a small percentage ... atleast the original Ferrari was not destroyed for absolutely nothing).

Has the person who was making this 250SWB replica actually seen a real one? ... I guess not!

Heck, hopefully Tom Sh. will buy the piece of **** and be able to supply a few more cars with parts.

Pete
    ps: Good restorations are few and far between also, but in more cases there is more to work with and thus a good car might eventually come out of it ...

21. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  22. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy

That fine ride has already been sold by me once, nice crate I made Huh!!!

Those are pictures are from my watertank in San Juan Capistrano CA

Tom Shaughnessy
    San Clemente CA

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Best part of the car ;) ...

Pete

24. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Call me stupid, but what is so BAD about that SWB project? The fact that it's just not "original"? Who made the body? If the chassis is a Ferrari, then the serial numbers and title will mean that it IS indeed a Ferrari and not a kit car. So what's the problem? Again, who made the body?

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Have another look at the body ... it is like somebody performed a cut and shut on the roof, and that is one of many details that just look wrong. Again if you ARE going to copy, get it right.

Not knocking that it is not original, just poorly done.
    Pete