F1 engine with burning red exhaust manifold (vid) | FerrariChat

F1 engine with burning red exhaust manifold (vid)

Discussion in 'F1' started by F1racer, Mar 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    You have to see this!
    http://www.presspley.com/F1/video/Presspley%20F1%20Fireup.mpg

Infos on the video:
    "At the end of the season, the teams have a competition to see who can generate the highest RPM or simply to create the most light and noise. The car is sitting on stands and is "fired up" or started by an engineer on a laptop. He has a throttle control in his hand (called a pit pedal, basically looks like a controller for a Scalextrix toy car) and he can rev the car in anywany he wants.

First the engine is warmed up and the exhausts begin to glow red then white hot. The exhaust do not have any mufflers unlike your standard road car so the noise is deafening.

The flames are from the unburnt fuel that gets ignited by the red hot exhausts!"

2. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
    REALLY COOL.

3. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    AWESOME!!

4. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    The car involved was an Orange Arrows. With the way the exhausts are shaped ('periscope' layout), I'd say the video is from 2002 - their last year in Formula 1.

The EGT achieved would be around 800 degrees Celcius.

That video actually helps to explain why F1 cars overheat so quickly when at a standstill. It took less than 30 seconds for the exhaust manifold to start glowing bright orange as the car was idling with the covers removed. Because Formula 1 cars have no ventilation fans and rely entirely on their passage through the air to cool themselves, it doesn't take long for a car sitting idling at 6000rpm to cook itself.

5. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's a keeper! Love how they get all excited and cheer. How insane!

6. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    is that the same video where they make it play a tune?

7. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
  8. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Top post. :)

9. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Cool clip. Brings back fond memories of 3 months worth of winter testing 2 years ago with a well known F1 team.

Used to see that on a nightly basis and was so exciting and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stick out. It was incrediable watching the exhaust heat up and then moments later cool down. Amazing. The car is connected via a large "Umbilical" cord which from the goes from the side of the car and goes into "jump battery" which in turn has a network switch in and and some other electronics components with which the laptop and hand throttle then speak to and control the car. The car does have an IP address!

Best thing of all, once that had been done I knew I would only be at the circuit for another hour ;-) !

Pete

10. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    gets the adrenalin fired up doesn't it.

11. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    That's awsome! Any more?

12. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    Wow, nice.... what team was that? Mclaren, Jordan??? How competitive is it to get in an F1 team??

Thanks

George.

13. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    It's the Arrows team, now deceased ;)

14. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    He meant the team yellowtr did winter testing for, not the team featured in the video. ;)

15. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    DOH! :D

16. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It was McLaren. 3 long long months travelling Europe, going to Barcelona, Valencia, Jerez, Paul Ricard (Uncle Bernie's circuit-awesome place, awesome hotel too-€400 a night for a "cheap" room. €8 a beer!), Silverstone, Monza. Good experience but very very tiring. Lived on Red Bull for most of it. A minimum of 18hr days....100hr weeks not unheard of...Great bunch of guys make it worth while, but you work very hard...and play hard. Ask anyone in F1 about winter testing and they will all groan. Teams now have double shifts as it is very tiring.

Very competitive to get into F1, kinda helps if you are already in there if you know what I mean or you are in the F3000 series as that's where a lot of the guys come from. Engineers tend to have stonking degrees which help, me I was just the lowly IT guy ;-) ! There is a tremendous amount of pressure doing IT as so much is reliant on it. I was proud to do it at the time and and experience I will never forget...and my feet won't forget with the pit shoes I had to wear ;-) !

17. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
  18. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Yellow TR; Are you still employed by Mclaren? If not, I have to ask - As a longtime Ferrari - what is Ron Dennis really like? Is he as arrogant as he seems? I understand if you refuse to respond. Also, any good behind the scenes photos/stories etc..........
    Just curious.
    Thanks in advance.

19. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I know some people that work at McLaren Marketing. I've been trying to get a job there and I tell you it is tough!

any tips on how to get in easier? Thanks!

Alex

20. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
  21. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name: