Alfa Romeo come back to the U.S. is a real possibility | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo come back to the U.S. is a real possibility

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by tfazio, Feb 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Fiat's new CEO is serious about bringing back Alfa Romeo to the United States. I found this interesting article from Autoweek which can be found here:

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101848

Here are two of the major points taken right from the article.

1. Marchionne has moved Maserati's ownership from Ferrari to Fiat Group so Maserati and Alfa can share platforms and the costs of federalizing cars for U.S. standards.

2. In the breakup of the GM/Fiat Group alliance, GM agreed to provide Northstar V-8 engines to Alfa and help federalize the cars.

I hadn't heard that GM had agreed to provide the Northstar V-8 Engines to Alfa before. The article states that Alfa will sell their cars through established dealers(Audi dealers?) and not through Maserati dealers.

2. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Promising, for Maserati as well.

Forza,

Cavallini

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    a Northstar V8 in an Alfa??????......the head spins......and you could tub it, and stick in a Mustang II front end.......and a 'glide.....digital gauges, and some billet Boydz.......flames.....
    i knew that GM/Fiat thing would somehow lead to unnatural things.....

4. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    yummy, i cannot wait for alfa to come back

it wouldnt make sense to use a gm v8 when u have a wonderful maserati v8

5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Oh vunderblat.

A GM powered, FWD, Federalized commuter box sold through Buick. I can't wait ...

... to see it plunge into the economic pit of the Inferno.

All the excitement of a Camry with Fiat reliability. The market will crucify them -- even without dealership problems.

Trying to get Buick/Caddy dealers to service Fiats is part of what killed Fiat in the 'States. Fiat's attempts to shift Alfa sales to Chrysler dealers is part of what killed Alfa in the 'States in the first place.

I guess recycling CEOs lets you make the same old mistakes like they were brand new stupid ideas.

The one bright side is that it might boost the value of the "real" (pre-Fiat) Alfas.

6. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Alfa Brera with a rwd or awd supercharged 440hp Northstar coming to the USA?

That would be something very cool if it hit under 80 grand?

V6 versions coming in at 50g's?

Maserati versions with different body style, different motor, (500hp?) running 100 to 120 grand?

That would make a nice three stage auto lineup ..

Were there any mention of the meathod of distribution?

Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa romeo dealers?

Maserati/Alfa?

Audi/maserati/Alfa?

Cadillac/Alfa?

Ferrari/maserati?

I hope Alfa makes a comeback to the USA...I grew up from the early 60's on Alfa Spiders...1300/1600 duetto/1750...

And quite frankly there's nothing from Europe that compares...(except other fine Italian marques)

7. masermartin

masermartin Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Correct me if I'm wrong but GM just paid bigtime to Fiat so they could get out of their 47% ownership.
    Thus no Northstar anything on anything Alfa.

Call me old fashioned but I like Italian ownership of a company who's cars are Italian and their engines are too.

8. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    Actually GM's ownership position in Fiat Auto before the settlement was 10%, and the article cited above states that GM will provide the Northstar to Alfa after the breakup. The bigger question is what car will the Northstar power? I have heard mention somewhere of an Alfa SUV-type vehicle.

9. masermartin

masermartin Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I stand corrected :)

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Alfa Romeo is dead.

Any car that makes it to the USA will only be an Alfa Romeo by badge only ... it will be a FIAT with a GM (Australian) built engine ... and you don't put non-Italian engines in an Alfa Romeo!

Rest in peace.
    Pete

11. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    "Maserati will base its next-generation Spyder and its Kubang crossover on Alfa's Premium platform."

isn't the next-gen spyder (2006) already done and based on the QP-platform?...

12. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    can't recall. what year did they bail?

13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The word on the net was that Alfa's next model would be based on the GM "Epsilon" platform -- the same as on the new Saab. Supposedly, that would "facilitate" bringing the "Alfa" to the States. (Eg. crash tests already done under other labels.)

I had a mental image of Fiat shipping a crate of Alfa logos to a Buick factory.

So is that all over, now?

I'd'a thought the European Touring Car series would have taught Alfa that putting the drive wheels on the wrong end means that BMWs can beat you, even if your engine is putting out way more ponies. But I guess suits don't learn from racing.

I think '94 was the last year for Alfas in the US. The Fiat take-over was around '88. Fiat dropped out of the US about '76 or '77 or so, I think.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That's what I'm afraid of

15. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    Sounds like another Christler LeBaron with Maserati badges (done before and bombed) or at best a reworked Pinninfarina built Lancia Gamma with american drive train (done before as an Aliante - bombed) Some people never learn.

16. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    "I think '94 was the last year for Alfas in the US. The Fiat take-over was around '88. Fiat dropped out of the US about '76 or '77 or so, I think."

Alfa bailed 94/95;Fiat in 81/82. I had an '81 Strada (Ritmo in Italia) that was more reliable than my bud's Honda Civic. Fuel Injection made all the difference. Car still rusted around me but engine and tranny were dead reliable.

I have an Alfa Milano now that has more leaks than the Titanic;however, they are making some nice cars in Europe. A V-6 AWD 166 with Selespeed and 50K mile free maintenance is a nice place to start. It worked for Audi...

17. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Since you guys don't get much actually exposure to Alfas you are wrong to say Alfa is dead. They are making pretty decent cars these days with the 147 and 156 line, including the new Alfa GT. Their 2.0 litre JTS twin spark engine are quite peppy matched with their own Selespeed (F1) transmission. Plus their 3.2 liter GTA engine are absolutely stonking....

The 156 line came out in 98 and was one of the better new designs out there. Alfa's are delivering great looking car with nice performance, their fit and finish and quality of material are not at the BMW or Audi standard yet but at least they are not priced at that level either. It's only the North America market that does not get Alfas, they are still available all over Europe and Asia. The only reason they are not in the US market is due to the gov's stringent testing standards. So bascially the car is safe enough for the rest of the world but not for Americans.

Has anyone peak under a Saab lately, don't be suprise to find GM or Subaru parts.

18. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #18 asianbond, Mar 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. ForzaMe

ForzaMe Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    You lucky bastard... what a nice Alfa!

With the exception of Ferrari, the Italian auto industry is still in trouble. Lancia, Fiat aren't doing so well. Alfa seems to be doing fine, but from what I read in European car mags, they need to expand their dealer network and work on their image/reliability. I think that they should regain market share in Europe and start making money before they come back to the US.

In Europe Fiat already has a dealer network to work off of and they don't have to spend any extra money to make the cars meet US regulations. It's easier for them to make a profit.

20. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

sweet alfa, nice color combination.

21. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    haha, my milano leaks from the valve cover gasket, cambelt seal and tranny, so many oil stains everywhere.

and my dad had an 83 ritmo 1.3, thing was unbreakable

22. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    too bad Alfa doesnt know how to market their car in the USA, they would beat BMW 10to 1. The newer BMW's are so generic in shape.

SOmething about alfas design is soo sexy and sleek. leave it to the italians to make beautiful cars and clothes.

-Leonardo

23. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Is it the VIP edition?

On the topic of Alfas, I like my 2.0 GT just fine.