Can you unbuff wheels? | FerrariChat

Can you unbuff wheels?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Birdman, Mar 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi All,
    I'm looking at a set of 348 wheels for the Mondial. (Gotta lose the Metric wheels!) Another Fchatter has a set for sale, but they are polished like a mirror. Just a little too much bling for my taste. Is there a way to unbuff them back to looking normal? (I suppose I can paint them...)

Are these aluminum or magnesium wheels?

Thanks

Birdman

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Bird,
    I would imagine there are a fair number of 348 owners that would just LOVE to have a set of polished wheels. Don't ruin these, just trade them for an unpolished set.

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The factory finish on the 348 wheels is paint. Just media blast and paint them to lok like new. Figure on $100/wheel to have them refinished. This is one job where trying to DIY is much more effort than it is worth.

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    FOr $100 a wheel, the price just became more than the wheels are worth to me. I'll hunt around for an unbuffed set!!

Birdman

5. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    Unbuffing them is easy. Simply get in your car drive around 5-10 miles per hours and then slightly tap the wheel against the curb. Do this a few times until you get the finish that you want. To get those hard to reach spots, call me. I will let my wife drive it. She can do the impossable.