612 depreciation | Page 2 | FerrariChat

612 depreciation

Discussion in '612/599' started by gougoul, Mar 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    ahh you americans dont understand the art of the GT, thats why the 456 was never a bright light in NorthAmerican and was hugely respected in europe as all time great. europeans love their coupes.

in a recent Car magazine comparison between 612, Bentley Gt, Sl65 AMG and Vaquish S thet said the 612 interior was by far the best of the group, the way a real gt should be, now thats saying alot considering a german was i nthere too.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    612 Scag, looks like a giant Toyota. Owners will be lucky if it retains as much value as a Toyota :)

The 456 was Much nicer looking

3. The K Reloaded

The K Reloaded Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thank you William, I actually think it looks like a bloated Nissan G35/previous generation CLK430 thingamajig from some angles. The 456 is a much underrated car.

4. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    You've obviously never seen one in the metal (let alone driven one).

5. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

very true, its the furthest thing from a toyota or infiniti. just like people said the QP looked like a buick, somking crack!!!

the 612 is a stunner in person

6. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Oooh, now that sounds interesting. I'd love to see pics.
    Hmm, now tell me about the "screen". what are you referring to here?

Guess I need to do a search on web for pics of the car at the Geneva auto show.

7. tohsapus

tohsapus Rookie

Mar 11, 2005
    Have one hitting the shores in about 5 days. Will post some pics and impressions as soon as it arrives.
    Ordered in the following:

Silverstone grigio/Black
    Modular wheels
    Shields
    Grey stitching
    Daytona seats
    F1

8. The K Reloaded

The K Reloaded Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I have seen two in the metal. From the pictures I saw, I didn't think it looked like a Nissan G35 until I finally saw one sitting in a front lot where a gaggle of Ferrari's usually sit. I saw the nose poking out and my first thought was, who put that Nissan next to the 360's? As I walked a few more steps the second thought was, that's kind of a big nose for a G35." Then, holy smokes that must be the new 612! Now I was standing directly in front of it, hmmm...yeah, ok, now I kind of see it but couldn't the designer have given it more...excitement?

The car was a maroonish color and the first 612 I had seen in the metal. The second one I was to see was at the LA Auto show during preview night. It came off a bit better mostly I believe because it wasn't sitting wedged between two much smaller, sleeker Ferraris. That the interior is very nice and the car may perform like no other (of its size) I do not dispute. However, I spent a good deal of time watching people look at the 612's on display. There was excitement all over the platform for the 430's and even new Maserati sedan, but the majority of folks looking a the 612 had the expression I had on my face first time I saw one....hmmmm. Had I been the cars chief designer my feelings would've been hurt observing the body language and facial expressions I witnessed.

9. Thatsmytoy

Thatsmytoy Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'm 6'6" and i love the 612's interior space. As soon as I can buy one for
    $150....i will*(4 years?)

Bill

10. pippobaudo

pippobaudo Rookie

Nov 1, 2004
    europe
    Full Name:
    pippo baudo
    If i might put my $.2 in. I own both a 575 and a 612. You HAVE to see the 612 in person and not in photo. When I first saw the pix that ferrari sent me I passed on the car. I did however see one at maranello and fell in love with it. The ride is very smooth ( too much??) and the various gadgets inside ( bose stereo, bluthooth,Ipod control flat display.. blah blah) make it a very enjoyable car to drive. The engine is 530 Bhp and it flyes when you want it to go, it weights less the the 575 and has better braking system. it is however more than 5 meters long so.. you wont get pole at Mugello but on european roads (toscana especially) you can have a lot of fun and your GF wont complain on long trips (575 is short for tall girls) . It is a very very nice car, that ferrari is manufactoring in small numbers to avoid prices dropping. There is only one 12 cylinders production line at maranello and it is shared this year with the 575 superamerica ( no more 575) dont ecpect to see more than a few hundreds at best. On the other hand want to have the flavor of the day and pay stupid money for a toy?? buy the F430, dealers here are selling them in stock for 30/40K€ over list...

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Rookie

Mar 15, 2005
  12. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    "I feel lucky to have spent so much time with it. Furthermore, I have the sense that I've driven a car that gets very close to motoring perfection."

nice.....

13. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    For someone who's as regularly critical as him that's some compliment.

14. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    IMO,

these days, ferrari takes a more radical path in designing cars, but it's a good point. Styling is moving very quickly, and they manage to design cars that may take some time to grow on you, but don't looke dated after 6 years.
    Look at the 550, and think it's a 10 years old design. What other car still looks so cool and modern ?
    While when it came out, it was a bigh discussion about its styling (though not as tough as for the 612) but in the meantine everybody or so got conviced.
    Same will apply to the 612. It might have a long bonnet but it's far from a SLR...
    And if you give it a look in the flesh, the way the lines flow together (especially at the back) are a true design statement. It's one of the very few cars that has a worked out styling and one that works in 3-D, it's a subtle design, but a great one.

15. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    I guess I'm bound to say I agree (as one with my name on it arrives in a few weeks) however, I do agree, it looks far better in the metal than in photos. They had to come up with a design which would last at least ten years.

16. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    The 612 is not for everybody. I have seen it in person one year apart at the Cavalino event. I suspect it will grow on you and it does look a lot better in person than in pics.

17. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Someone hit the nail on the head in this thread: people do not make the grand tour in their sports cars in the US except for the tiny number that attend rally events with their clubs. For the rest they use Minvans or RVs, or fly. And many who can afford a F car GT, fly in their own planes. So most buying the 2+2 F cars are probably better off in a Quattroporto, which usually measn that they have a Merc/BMW or a Slade at home to handle the valet parking or supermarket trips.

So yes I can see no use for a 612, 456, 400 or 330 in the US except as a daily driver. My Euro CEO for example thinks nothing of driving anywhere in Europe (except to the UK), distances that I would only consider flying. And he is doing it at $6 per gallon! He uses a 456M or a S600 and prefers the infinite flexibility of the car to the regimented restriction of the airport process.

18. enecks

enecks Karting

May 28, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Please pardon my ignorance, but could someone please explain the keys out of a Lear simile? I just can't seem to figure it out...

19. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Next time you're in a Lear Jet, open the door, (Below 10,000 feet de- pressurize first) and toss your car keys out. Note how fast they fall.

20. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Maybe a fair generalization, but not an absolute. We just did the Seattle - San Diego - Miami Beach round trip in our 612, and have plans for more similar trips later this year. Only maybe 1/3 of the trip was on interstates (had a deadline on part of the trip) with the rest run on small county and state highways.

The QP is a great car, but we use it more as the grocery getter. Wouldn't own an SUV, let alone condem myself to hours driving one on roads just begging for a sports car.

21. winston

winston Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    foothills
    Full Name:
    don
    You may see a 05 model in 07 sell for 160,000 -175,000 if the 456 is any guide
    and wait another year or two and you will see 125,000 -135,00.The big benefit of the 612 is much more rear seat room, try to clean the rear seats or the rear windscreen of a 456, I hope you are a contortionist.
    winston

22. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA & SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    As mentioned in a previous thread. I saw a beautiful silver over tan 612. Perhaps one of the best looking f-cars I have ever seen. Certainly the best 4 seater out today.

I was not a big fan from the photos - but once I saw this one in the flesh, I was converted. The interior looked awesome. Daytona seats - darker piping. Incredible.

Congrats to anyone that has one!

23. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    Eric, can you please PM me I'm interested to talk to you about your 612 (I've just ordered mine).

24. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i am a reformed 612 enthusiast. when they first came out i hated the design. then i started seeing them more frequently and in different colors, now i see one every day either at the dealership near the gym or on the road. and i have to say i like it.
    the shape grows on you after a while. it is very subtle.
    i think it works much better in darker colors with naturale/tan interiors, my favorite being cano di fusile/naturale.

as for depreciation....well all i can say is i am looking forward to being the second owner some day at half price.

btw, the biggest competitor to the 612 has to be the bentley gt. so i took the time at the geneva show to study both of them one after the other. the bentley exterior is far less sleek. the interior of the bentley is very nice, however there are just too many buttons. i know that sounds odd, but it just appeared fiddly. it has more room in the back seat and trunk than the 612. but over time i think the bentley will decline in stature because there will be so many of them, whereas i think the 612 run will be less than 300/year.
    btw, every 612 i have seen at a dealer was sold already. there arent any just lying around, so that says something at least.

25. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok. just went to go look at the 612 at the dealer, and frankly if there was any more leather in there it would like the pagoni. if the 'full' leather option means the airvent surrounds etc is also covered, then dont bother going for that option - totally unnecessary.