Avoid Dependable Auto Shippers | FerrariChat

Avoid Dependable Auto Shippers

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RED GTS, Mar 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RED GTS

RED GTS Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gungnir
    Just a head up, I recently bought a 62 Alfa Romeo Giulia and had DAS ship it to Washington from florida. To be safe I paid for enclosed shipping and top mounted (to keep drips off the car) When the car arrived it has oil and grease all over the fenders, hood, trunk and top. The truck was an open semi. DAS was very nice about refunding the amount but didnt say a thing about lying to me about how the car would be shipped. there was also 2800.00 of damage to the car in shipping that they have refused to cover. They have not responded to emails so now my classic Insurance is going after them (hagerty, who are great) just wanted to put a warning out there in case anyone was looking for a shipper, just glad they never shipped my 275.

2. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Drips? Open container? Damage? Awful to hear Ken. Just out of curiosity, what made you choose them in the first place?

3. RED GTS

RED GTS Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gungnir
    They were the official shipper of ebay and the guy I bought the car had shipped cars with them before. He will no longer be using them.

4. amslb182

amslb182 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    Ct
    Full Name:
    Andrew LeGrant
    That sounds horrible, hope everything comes out ok financially, keep us posted.

5. SEAL2CC

SEAL2CC Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2005
    "Official Shipper" I think means that they have paid ebay or the seller some royalty for the advertising right to claim such.

Intercity (a sponsor here) as done right by me twice - first time long before I was a "chatter."

Chris

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sorry to hear Ken...thanks for the warning.

Dave

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    A few years back I had a paint and body guy touch up some scratches on my hood. When I dropped the car off he was busy with an old Porsche. The front and back were pretty beat up. The owner had purchased the car on ebay and had it shipped down to him but the transport company did not secure the car in the truck. It was just a rolling chassis and it actually smashed back and forth in that truck all the way to Alabama. The owner was having a hell of a time with the company about the repairs. It's hard to believe but it's true.

8. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Intercity shipped my whip (long before they were a sponsor here). They did a great job, and are highly endorsed.

9. RED GTS

RED GTS Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gungnir
    Hey Dave, you will get to see the car in question, when the 275 is apart the Alfa will come to the Garage tours. Ken

10. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    I had a very bad experience with Dependable also. You don't have time to hear the whole story. Don't use them!

11. eacreations

eacreations Rookie

Mar 15, 2005
    Claremore, OK
    Full Name:
    Casey
    I recieved a car shipped by DAS a few months ago, it was covered in dirt and had a crack in the front spoiler due to them loading it incorrectly. I definately would never use them again.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I had my 328 shipped by DAS, and there were two scratches on the driver's side, one low on the door and one at the same height on the panel aft of the door. Although they shouldn't have damaged the car in the first place, they were very efficient in sending out an adjuster promptly, and their estimate and the body shop's matched almost exactly. The whole thing was taken care of quickly and efficiently.

Still, considering there seem to be better alternatives, I probably wouldn't use them again.

13. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    How the heck do they stay in business w/ a reputation like that??

14. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    And further, how did they manage to hook up with eBay as the "official" transporter - that's a heck of a lot of business coming through the door.

15. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    The guy i bought it from had it shipped through them (for free, part of the deal) in an enclosed trailer. It was beyond dirty when i got it ( i can deal with that) but it also had a hole in the front bumper and they broke a couple of other things too. They denied the claim although all the damage was noted at pick up. The adjuster had the nerve (your not gonna believe this) to say to me...
    "Im tired of you calling here, I don't like you so Im going to deny the claim" (i still have a copy of the denial letter and the pick up reciept showing where they noted the damage if anybody was ever interested)...
    I laughed and told him I didnt care if he hated my whole family, but he needed to do his job or i was going to hire an attorney. He told me to go hire an attorney because (this one is even better)..."a ****** like you can't afford an attorney because you probably live in that Ferrari"...I was in shock! (especially because im not black!)...I hired the attorney, they paid the claim and if I find his name I will post it on this thread...DAS is a definite no no.

16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It's amazing the kind of crap people can pull and still stay in business. It's best to stick with a company that made its bones transporting expensive cars. I've used Horseless Carriage, Exotic, Passport (pre FedEx) and a couple of others. I've had a couple of annoying schedule foul-ups, but never a damaged car. These stories are sickening.

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    He really called you that? Oh......My......God

18. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Post it, that guy should rot in hell.

19. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    They shipped my 330 from Seattle to Pittsburgh without any problems.

In general, watch out for anectdotal evidence; for evey horror story you hear, there are probably dozens of people who have had no problems, and make no posts.

--Matt

20. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Ken, I am sorry to hear about what happened to your car. I too have used DAS to ship cars from Seattle to NYC and back in the past. A good friend of mine also had his car shipped from NYC to SF without any problems, in fact, we both are pretty happy with them. My understanding is that DAS has sub-contractors working regionally, and I guess that means that's where the care for the cars can differ from one city to another. Still, they should take responsibility for whatever their subs messed up on.

21. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Un-fucckking-believable. He really wanted a Ferrari and was very upset that he couldn't have one.

I used Intercity to transport my car from the SanFran Bay area to Dallas two years ago. They were excellent all the way around except for a pickup scheduling miss that caused a week's delivery delay--no big deal, I had bought it in late Nov. '02 and had left it at the PPI shop in CA for some work and was salivating at that point. A very forgivable error, especially at $300.00 less than Horseless Carriage, the next-lowest bid of four from the top-reputation transporters.

22. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    The first guy that denied the claim was named Jerry Milam (he didnt work for the company after I recieved the denial letter). The guy who took over and said all the rude stuff including the N-word and the fact that he was denying it was named Will Plummer (out of an office in Texas). This guy was actually Jerry's manager. His number is 1-800-726-2693 ext 8 if anyone wants to let him know that I posted his stupid anticts on the internet!

23. russell

russell Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    sacramento
    Full Name:
    russell
    I had an escalade shipped by them from mischigan to sacramento 6 months ago; It took them 3 weeks to pick it up and 1 week to get it here. IT WAS OVER A MONTH (chipped winshield) and window open a bit with water coming into the car THEY ABSOLUTLY SUCK>>>>>>>>>>> I paced for weeks p--d off. I know how you feel

24. 8943post

8943post Rookie

Mar 31, 2004

I can't believe the response that you rec'd from DAS! As one of their competitors I'm apalled at the way you were treated. Automobile transportation is not an exact science. Problems do occur on occasion. It's how you deal with the problem and how you treat your Customer that counts. DAS is a discount carrier with a less than stellar performance record. You DO get what you pay for.

David Wilson/Pres.
    Intercity Lines.

25. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I was recently looking for a carrier from the Chicago area to the San Ramon, Ca area. So, I called the Blackhawk Auto Museum in Danville, CA, which is nearby to find out who they would recommend.

Intercity was their carrier, and the museum has beautiful cars they will only trust to Intercity.

For what it's worth.