Has anyone driven the f430 hard? | FerrariChat

Has anyone driven the f430 hard?

Discussion in '360/430' started by khal360, Mar 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    I currently drive a 360 01 6sp modified with a capristo exhaust, pzero corsa tires, 19'' hre rims & stradale spec set up suspension. The car rules, great copy of a 360. With the current set up & tires I doubt the f430 would be more than a second faster around fiorano. My dilemma, is the f430 THAT MUCH BETTER? The road and track test 430 was run in one direction slight incline. The numbers suggest enzo like performance, hard to believe considering the power to weight ratio vs the enzo. Anyway has anyone driven the 430 hard to judge against the 360? Thanks.

2. PATRIEK

PATRIEK Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    Full Name:
    Patriek
    I DID, even yesterday, and YES, the car drives so mutch harder then my 360, so mutch more torque, a lot more power for sure, and handling can't even be compared to the 360 !!
    That car really goes HARD, so easy, and the car gives you lot of trust at driving hard, because of the supreme road handling and the power.
    You must drive it before judging !!

3. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    PATRIEK -- I am SOOOOOOOO jealous of your car. Can we swap ? And to cap it all, I was in Belgium this afternoon (Genk) and it was perfect Ferrari driving weather, 17C, nice sunshine, dry roads. You're a lucky guy.

4. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    You ask two very different questions: straight line performance and lap times around Fiorano.
    Based on my short test drive (http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134662996&postcount=1), the 360 is a league behind the 430, from low down to the red line.

Lap times are a different matter, as for any given driver only back to back laps would tell the real story (unless you consider yourself as good as a factory driver with a marketing mission ...).

Talking specifically about Fiorano, I am not sure many of us mere mortals who have been there at the course would claim they ran significantly faster in a 360 compared to 575s with the Fiorano pack. Go figure if you compare to marketing claims. To me, this is the difference between fantasy and the reality of YOU driving YOUR car.

On the open road, a 430 will smoke a 360 on the basis of torque alone. Throw in the very promising e-diff and you've got a very convincing package (and no, I don't have one on order).

5. pippobaudo

pippobaudo Rookie

Nov 1, 2004
    europe
    Full Name:
    pippo baudo
    I too drove the F430 at fiorano..lap times went down almost 2 sec 1.31 with 360 CS 1.29:3 with the F430 ( yes I know schumi laps much faster at fiorano..) I drove it at Mugello this past sunday but I have no personal times with the 360 to compare but it was one of the fastest cars on the circuit. Noticebly faster than the 360CS as mugello is a fast track, compared to Fiorano which is very technical...Its a beautifull car, and evey one here is willing to " farselo mettere in culo" to drive this car as my favourite dealer said for it ( some one can translate this colorfull expression....) Personally I think Ferrari has to have 12 of those things called cylinders..and that is why I drive a 575 and waiting for the replacement next yer ( rumors here in italy are wild about it...) The F 430 is never the less a fantastic improvement over the old 360 and a wonderfull car.

6. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    I thought the CS was .5 seconds faster around Fiorano.

7. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    He was quoting his times and not that of a Ferrari testdriver. Maybe that proves that an average Joe in a F430 will be quicker than in the CS due to the extra torque and e-diff.

8. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    troppo forte!!!

by that expression, i think you meant, getting it up the A##!!!

9. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    That's the whole point. A lot of members on this forum are probably above-average-Joes due to their experience in driving/tracking sport cars, and perhaps taking driving courses, but I don't think that many are as fast as Benuzzi or Badoer.
    It's nice to fantasize how fast a car is in expert hands, but I care a lot more how much pleasure I have driving it, and to some degree how fast I am in it.
    As far as I am concerned and with limited experience, a 430 beats a 360 in both areas.

10. PATRIEK

PATRIEK Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    Full Name:
    Patriek
    my friend who was with me took his video cam with him, to take some shots,
    this is one at hight speed, the max was 270km/h, than came traffic and we had to watch out for the 'belgian cops' ...

http://users.pandora.be/portrettentrekker/patriek%20on%20the%20move.WMV

11. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    Just out of interest what car do you drive normally? Have you driven a Ferrari with an F1 box before?

12. PATRIEK

PATRIEK Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    Full Name:
    Patriek
    normally ?? Yes, I had a 360 spider before the 430

13. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I think you really nailed it here, and I think thats why a lot of us drive Ferraris, even though they are not as practical as most, not as fast as some and more expensive than most. We get the most pleasure out of them, sometimes in spite of themselves!! Now the 430 may be the exception in that it seems very nice to drive and is about faster than anything on the road. Can't wait to slip behind the wheel.
    Patriek, great video, made me feel I was riding along!

14. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    Thanks.

15. ben, lj

ben, lj Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    Well if the Ferrari test drivers only see a .5 diff, and pippo saw nearly 2 sec slower in the 430 than CS, how does this prove the avg Joe will be quicker (vs. slower) than the CS in the 430?

16. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Thanks for the video- Is that the stock exhaust,Patriek? Getting mine in July.

17. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Ben, you mis-read Pippo's post. He indicated he was two seconds faster in the 430 over the CS. I do not find this surprising since the 430 is developed to be driven by Joe Public and the CS is for the hard core driving enthusiast.

In short, it probably would take greater driving skills to get the max out of the CS than the 430.:)

18. ben, lj

ben, lj Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    doh, i sure did. too early i guess (yeah, that's it - haha).

19. PATRIEK

PATRIEK Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    Full Name:
    Patriek
    yes it is

20. Bernd

Bernd Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2005
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    BZ
    Today I drove a F430 F1 and compared it with my Porsche GT3. The report is in the Europe / German section.

For those, who speak German, it might be interesting. I will translate it the next days, today I´m to lazy. ;)

Bernd

21. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Why don't you provide this english speaking audience a brief description of your findings?:)