Dallas emission testing | FerrariChat

Dallas emission testing

Discussion in 'Texas' started by BigAl, Mar 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I took the 308 to a muffler place yesterday (Austin) and the owner was telling me Travis County will begin emission testing in Sept. He told me I'll need to be careful with mufflers and cats, etc in order to pass the emission test. I kind of got into a panic until this morning when I remembered (ok, I'm an idiot) that the car CAME from Dallas. What year did emission testing start in Dallas, its been quite a while hasn't it? I purcashed the car several years back. I'm assuming if it passed in Dallas it'll pass in Austin later this year.

2. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

2007, not this fall.

3. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    DPS handout says:

WHEN WILL TESTING BEGIN
    • On September 1, 2005, On Board Diagnostics II (OBDII), for 1996 and newer vehicles, and Two Speed Idle
    (TSI), for 1995 and older vehicles, testing will begin in Travis and Williamson counties at the request of local
    governments through an Early Action Compact (EAC) with state and federal environmental agencies.

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    If the car is older than 25 years, is there some type of EPA exemption?

5. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Wow. They must have moved it up. It was to begin in 2007.

This is very interesting, as I know of NO shops ordering the complex equipment necessary in order to be ready to go on 9/1. Whaddaya wanna bet the date gets pushed back as it gets closer?

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  7. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    OK
    so, i just moved to FW a month ago.....

mine is a 1990 348 (w/test pipes)........

and i need to do what, or go where exactly?

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Go to http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/inspection/sta_loc_nonemis.asp to find the nearest test location.

Because your car is older than 1996, it will have to be run on a dynometer to check emissions. It most likely won't pass with test pipes. See http://www.tnrcc.state.tx.us/air/ms/vim.html#im12 for an explanation of the test.

Rumor has it that some test locations are friendly to owners of modified cars. I am unfamiliar with any of these locations. If someone has a suggestion or two, I too have to get my car past inspection now....

9. JJB

JJB Karting

Aug 5, 2004
    Texas
    I have a '94 and an '86 (sadly not F-cars), both of which I have had to take for dyno emissions testing for the last three years (which is as long as I have had them). I thought that 20 years was the break point but heck it may be 25 years (I hope not). We have a few stations around here that only do State inspections and they are equipped to do all kinds.

JJB

10. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I hope so. The guy at B&B Muffler said they had ordered the test equipment and it was around $20K. Cost of the inspection is going up along with the time for each inspection. According to him all test equipment will be connected to DPS so cars are flagged the first time they are inspected and are logged into DPS' database, so there's no fudging. I appreciate efforts to improve the air but well tuned Ferraris ain't the problem.

11. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
  12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Strange, very strange. In Houston, back in 92, they started the same kind of testing. They setup centers, employed lots of people with expensive equipment and then it didn't last but nearly 6 months if I remember correctly.

If they do this, I hope they do it right this time and certainly not there to receive personal kickbacks like they did in Houston.

13. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    It happened all over the Texas, Randy.

14. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    When a car is 25 years old (model year, not mfg year) it is exempt from passing emission tests, after that safety tests only. The old tests, pre-1981 or so, aren't that hard to pass if you have working cats. I did have to lean the cr*p out of my '79's carbs for it to pass though.

15. B.Ratcliff

B.Ratcliff Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 23, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    B. Ratcliff
    At a certain age a car is exempt from all inspections including safety.

Not sure what age but my 70 Corvette has been exempt with antique status for at least 10 years. I dont have to do anything anymore. There is also some rule about driving it only to shows, parades and test drives, blah blah blah everything is a test drive to me.

16. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I'm going to antique reg the 308 as soon as it reaches 25 years, but thats 5 years from now. The car passed Dallas inspections for years, so I'm assuming it will pass Austin's.

17. mdlacroix

mdlacroix Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    If your car is 25 years old or older, it is exempt from the emissions portion of the test.
    If you register your (25+ year old) vehicle as an "antique motor vehicle", it is exempt from emission testing each year and only requires a safety inspection once each 5 years (when you renew the "antique" tag).
    OBD II vehicles do not require the dyno rollers, all others do.
    If your vehicle will not fit up on the rollers, the tester can administer the older "sensor in the tailpipe" test.
    The new dyno based test is much harder to pass than the older tailpipe sampling test.
    If your car does not pass, there are provisions in the regs that will allow you to get a 1 year waiver to the testing requirement, after you spend a minimum amount of money (?$$) at a certified emissions repair facility. But, then you have to repeat the exercise again the next year.
    The best plan for an older Ferrari that may have difficulties passing the newer test standard is to find a test facility that will not put the car on the dyno rollers and will use the older tailpipe sampling test. IMHO.

18. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Unless things have changed antique reg'd vehicles don't req any inspection.