So who can claim F1 is (still) boring? | FerrariChat

So who can claim F1 is (still) boring?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Auraraptor, Mar 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Is F1 (2005) boring?

1. Yes

2. No

3. What?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Well? Damn good race, if only our boys placed a bit better, but a damn good race none the less!

2. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Yes I agree, but it was only thanks to Fisi and Webber and Kimi's puncture that Michael got any points at all.

Is it just tyres, seems strange to me their so off the pace?

Roll on the New Car I say........:D:D

3. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia
    I can only say that this is great for the sport in general.

this has been first F1 race in ages that I have enjoyed.

certainly not a 'procession' here ...

cheers.

4. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia

You're right. M.Schu was gifted those 2 points by Fisi and Webber
    tangling ... really an awful waste , Webber is bloody quick.

5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Right, really exciting. Now lets up the excitement: Land mines! Machine gun fire! Random water in the petrol! If unsafe tires can make F1 exciting, let's go whole hog for the random "racing incidents".

Add fist fights between drivers (and take away the right turns) and you'll be as "exciting" as Nastruck. :(

We know how the demolition derbys pack in the fans(1).

(1)fans: devices for moving wind(2).
    (2)wind: euphemism for gastro tract emissions.

6. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    This tire thing is marvelous.

7. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    Please. Renault and Toyota proved beyond a doubt that they could run with the new tyre regulations and do it safely and competitively. And as a matter of fact, improving the endurance of tyres is good for the entire industry in the long run, and will eventually show benefits for our road cars as well. Are we supposed to hold back progress just so that poor Ferrari can keep winning ?

8. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia

dude , like , think before you type , it helps.

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Definately not "boring". I think the end of the season will be pretty exciting.

10. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Were we all watching the same race?? How is this one differ from all the others? FA was never really threaten by JT, JT was pretty much driving by himself after a little while. The only challenge for position was between MW and GF. The top finishers may be different from before, but the course is still the same. So it is not MS that pull away and wins the race, it is now FA. Just like it used to be Prost/Senna/Mansell winning, then it became MS/MH/DC/DH etc. Formula One has always been this, FIA tried to creat "excitment" artificially, all they did was putting the drivers at extrem risk with the single set tyre rule. Yes, the tyre manufactures simply have to step up and creat new compunds that will truely last an entire race weekend. but at what cost? I can only hope that no one gets hurt before they are able to come up with something that does.

11. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    I absolutely tink that the new rules in F1 are the most retarded, risky and stupid to date.

The inability to change tires, the single engine rule for two races, and the two part qualifying all make F1 a simple lottery game. Might as well sit there on race weekend and draw numbers out of a hat to pick the winner.

I hope that no driver gets injured or suffers as a result of these new unsafe rules.

12. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    More bellyaching from the resident fanatic-in-denial.

13. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    We remain loyal tifosi, but the way the other teams have come on to date makes for more entertaining racing. It will be interesting to see just how good the F-2005 really is.
    John

14. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    I am a Ferrari fanantic.. I will take that as a compliment.

Band wagon fans are abundant these days.

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I'll second that

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I can .
    F1 is no longer F1 , its endurance racing . Stupid.

17. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Just ask Webber how safely Fisi was driving on the new "tires". ;)

Next year: the team to drive furthest on a teaspoon of petrol wins!

Enduro racing has its place: F1 isn't it. (La Mans hasn't been part of F1 for quite some time.)

18. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    I suppose teething problems are inevitable, as with all things, but I'm sure the best drivers will learn to adapt and mistakes will become less frequent. I think the tire thing is a positive development both in the sport and for the technology pay-off in the "real world". If the tire manufacturers really stretch to meet the challenge, then it won't have to be endurance racing at all, it'll just be normal racing with superior technology.

19. RickDay246

RickDay246 Karting

Sep 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rick Day
    OK, I'll admit, I'm a Ferrari fan. That being said, it'll be interesting to see how Scuderia competes next time in Bahrain, if they break out the 2005 model! If I were Michael and Rubens, I'd be annoyed that I was out in last year's hardware! How come Ferrari couldn't get their new car out but the other teams did?!

But I agree, these rule changes are bunk. It's about conservation rather than going fast. Is F1 going "green"? Why not give them one tank of fuel and make them finish the race on that too? Perhaps they could race hybrids!?

Pit stops are boring, too. We really only need three guys for a pit stop - the lollipop guy and two fuelers. Maybe a fourth to wipe visors.

Let's get back to a basic objective. A race is about going fast, and about teamwork. Not who can babysit their hardware the best!

And I have to bash on single lap qualifying while I'm at it. BOOOORING! There was so much more drama and intensity (and strategy) in the last 15 minutes of the older 12-lap system. Of course Australia was fun with freak the storms and dry spells. We call that racing?

Ok, I'm done.

20. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Here we go again...

First, Ferrari needs to rise up to the challenge... Then the tire manufacturers need to rise up to the challenge.

How foolish can one be not to see how much of a risk this is to drivers and officials on the track. Some one is bound to get hurt untill tires can be developed to be resistant to such great wear and tear.

Endurance racing has its place... its place is not in F1. Tire manufacturers already do testing and development in those types of racing series. All the new rules are doing is taking away the true esence of F1 and the true meaning of performance racing.

21. Fast Shadow

Fast Shadow Karting

Dec 18, 2004
    Point Dume, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh
    How was that exciting? Just the same old same old - he who qualifies on the pole holds an unthreatened lead from flag to flag. No real passing, no real contention. Just a "race" to maintain whatever position you happened to qualify in.

Le yawn.

22. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I agree fully.

If it wasn't for Fisi, Webber and Flavio Briatore's sweat saturated shirt this race would have been very boring indeed. Let's see: no fighting for the lead, completely dull start (I just about fell asleep during the first 30 minutes) and a static conclusion.

As one driver commented after he'd gone out, (I think it was Davidson) Formula 1 has become a battle of attrition. If "stirring things up" means waiting until tyres are dangerously eroded so as to make wheels fall off rims and cars slide into each other, then it's clear that we have confused competitiveness with destruction.

Renault have become the team to beat. Just because it's another brand dominating instead of Ferrari it doesn't make races any more exciting.

23. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    agreed i think the points will be spread out a lot this year so the end of the season will be a real nail-biter.

24. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    I think the new tire rule is B.S.

I agree the tire manufacturers should be able to improve quality and get a full safe race out of a set of tire but what happens when you pick up some debris on the track ? you have a damaged but still maybe race-able tire that you can't change? that is unsafe, driving at that speed, drivers should be able to expect only the best in safety and that means proper tires or tire changing allowed.

I am undecided about 2 races per engines rule, it did not seem to hurt that much in this race, BAR maybe but I can see it where it might hurt racing if a driver decides I can't win this one so I will save my motor for next week.

25. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    So far shaping up to become the most interesting season since 2000. Loved every minute of it!

Just imagine the comeback Ferrari will have with the new car. It will marvelous to see our guys duke it out with Renault and Toyota. No more walk in the park.