Odds of finding a 355GTS | FerrariChat

Odds of finding a 355GTS

Discussion in '348/355' started by LeoExotic, Mar 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    people tell me its hard to find a red/tan 355gts with low mileage adn in mint condition. Is this true?

2. Hunters360

Hunters360 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    James Wardwell
    Red tan is the most popular color combo so I would say you have the best chance if you want red tan.

3. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    sorry didnt mention 6-speed..not F1.

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Define "hard to find." While GTS' are obviously rarer than Berlinettas, as Hunter360 mentioned, the red / tan combination is a popular one, and GTS' in this combination do surface from time to time. That being said, buying a Ferrari is not like spending the weekend at the car mall shopping for a Toyota. You'll need to learn about the 355 in general, the nuances of a 355 in particular, and then anywhere from 3 - 6 months (or even longer) finding your "perfect" car. Don't rush the process - finding the car is often as scintillating as the act of ownership.

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  6. F1guru

F1guru Karting

Mar 7, 2005
    Orange County, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yeah, I just saw that one at Ferrari OC earlier today. Looked pretty good, and is 6 speed.

7. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Nice GTS, but for Classiguy's benefit, I believe the color on that one is Rosso Barchetta (darker, non-metalic red), as opposed to Rossa Corsa (standard Ferrari red).

8. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Vik, your correct. I have been searching the board and educating myself for a while about the 355. I have seen some pretty miserable examples of F355's around and I can say its not easy to find an immaculate example.

Thanks for all the info..this board has been a plethora of information.

-Leo

9. edmo7

edmo7 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Ed
  10. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
  11. srwhitman

srwhitman Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott Whitman
    I started looking for a 355 a few weeks ago. I have seen 3 cars so far in person. I'm looking for something very particular - and it seems a bit harder to find. While I would be ok with a Berlinetta, I'd certainly prefer a GTS. The main thing is that I want a car that has the valve guides done or no longer has the issue ('98 or '99). I also want a 6 speed. The color - red or blue. Thats it. Ok, thats not so easy as there seem to be very few decent cars. I was just about to go down to Orange County to check out the car they have there. Seemed nice. The guy told me today that somebody put a deposit on it over the weekend. Rats. Now I'm back to square one. I live in CA and would prefer a car in state - not because I don't want to travel out of state but because it seems like it might take a while to find one and I don't want to take off work a lot to go fly all over the place to check out cars. I've found mechanics in both Southern and Northern CA that I trust to check out the car.

Someone just mentioned they saw some examples of pretty ratty cars. The thing is - how can you tell? I mean, I know the leather pulls back from the dash a little and the seats can get a little used but I can't imagine much else that could be bad. Most cars have mileage that is pretty low so it seems to me that it would be almost "hard" to find one in bad shape from an aesthetics point of view. What is lesser known and I think is more likely to cost more money is the engine and repairs associated with it (or electronics).

I looked at a '95 yesterday. Normally I wouldn't consider it. But, this guy really seemed like he took care of it. I looked at the repair records and everything matched up. I liked the color although the car was a coupe not a GTS. The thing is, the repair records scared me off a bit. I didn't really peruse them fully but he had had a lot of work done on the car. I'm not sure if its normal or just that he's had the car 10 years. It has 32K miles. He's one of those guys that says "I don't have to sell it so if I'm not going to get my price, I won't." That bugs me. Even though his price is ok, it could be better. But, it just seems to me that I'd rather pay more for a newer car with less mileage and likely less headaches.

Any thoughts?

Scott

12. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    Scott,, I keep thinking back to that piece of sh..t Buick my uncle sold to me in the early 80,s It seemed that everything broke on that car ,,,and I would fix it ,,,I got sick of it and sold it .The new owner drove that stupid car for years with no trouble ,he crashed it and that was finally the end of the Buick.The 355 's have a few problems and the fact that the 95 you are looking at has had lots of service done to it could be a Buick kind of thing and you could be the lucky one.
    DAVID

13. blackflag6989

blackflag6989 Rookie

Oct 17, 2004
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Stephen Saia
    I am working on trading my 1998 Corsa Rosa 355GTS, Manual, Black interior, 13,250 miles, red callipers, Challenge grill, cd player, k40 built in radar, battery charger, all books, records, tools, covers, outdoor cover. Just had 15,000 mile service at Ferrari of Houston. New right manifold and cat, water pump rebuilt, brake fluid service. Won Platnium award in New Orleans two years. Beautiful car.
    A broker in New Orleans will have the car for a short time before it is sent to the dealer. Go to www.fantasymotorsllc.com to get contact information if you are interested. If you go to sold inventory, there are pictures of the car when they sold my car to me. (1998 355GTS - Front shot of grill) The owner is a car collector and runs this business for himself and his friends.

Hope to have my 360 Challenge stradale by next week and have ordered a new F430.

Lyndon

14. ljsaia

ljsaia Rookie

Mar 25, 2003
    Houma, Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Lyndon Saia
    I didn't realize I was logged in my son's sign-in when I posted the last message. I'm posting this message in case you want to send me a private message.

Thanks,
    Lyndon

15. kimoSabe

kimoSabe Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    No CA
    Full Name:
    Ray C.
    Scott,

Are you around the Campbell area during the weekday morning rush. Not too many other yellow Elans around so it must be you. I've been actively looking for a GTS in the right color combo for about 4 months with little luck. Now the wifey needs a new kitchen so it'll have to wait another 12 months. If I see anything I forward you the info.

16. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Actually the car is rosso monza which is a metallic red but lighter than rosso fiorano. But you are right, it ain't rosso corsa.

Cheers
    Kevin