Want to sell via indie. Your recommendations please? | FerrariChat

Want to sell via indie. Your recommendations please?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by homemark, Mar 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. homemark

homemark Rookie

May 23, 2004
    London
    Looking to sell my 360 via an independant on my behalf.

Out of all the indies, is there a consensus as to who's the best.

I'm based in London so there seems to be quite a bit of choice.

PS - Apart from the pathetic offer for my car, the main reason I won't use the F network is my extended warranty, until Nov. 2006, is revoked and can't be passed on and therefore has no value unless I sell it privately!

2. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    I didn't know that about the warranties, but what I'd do is whack it in the Top Marques magazine for a couple of weeks. You can do it on the net and it don't cost too much and see what happens. Got to get more for it than from any garage selling it for you..........:D

3. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    I used Guy at Talacrest to sell my 355, he did a good job for not silly money :)

4. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    I spent Friday afternoon looking through the accounts of some of the major dealers, from the latest Companies House filings that I can acces in the office. I've spent 17 years in venture capital and was a Financial Analyst, so I know what I'm looking at. I don't know what the legal position on a vehicle is if a dealer goes under, but many of these businesses are perilously under capitalised so I'd make damned sure that you read the small print on any contract.

A number of these businesses are loss making, a couple have outstanding CCJs, one or two have risen, phoenix like from the flames of a previous disaster, and, judging by who the directors are, I suspect some of the principals might be disqualified as company directors. It's not right to name names, but the information's in the public domain for £20 or so before you hand over your car.

Interestingly, even the succesful and profitable businesses only make gross margins of 5% (And I do mean Gross, not Net) which is patheticly low. Also interesting is the fact that Maranello Sales Ltd, when they had the exclusive franchise, only made around 5% Gross on a turnover of about £50-£55m.

jg

5. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    Would you say the low profits are due to overpaid exec's, taking the money out the back door to save tax??

6. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    No because the Directors are charged to "overheads" rather than "Cost of Sales", so the "gross margin" is before indirect staff costs, including directors emoluments that are in any case disclosed seperately unless the company is too small (which many are). Their costs impact the "net margin" further down the page.

You are right that some of the companies strip out cash and have structures designed to minimise tax but they're all further down the P&L account.

jg

7. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    Wow, interesting. You sound like you know you stuff

8. Ravi355

Ravi355 Karting

Feb 20, 2005
    In the Country
    Full Name:
    Ravi
    I'd ring them all up and see what they. When I was buying mine, I spoke to the indies re selling it on in a couple of years and they quoted between £2,000 and 2,500 as their cut. BTW with regards to your warranty how is teh F network going to know if you have sold privately when it comes to transferring your warranty?

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Ask Mike at Rardley

10. daz355

daz355 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    MclarenVille
    Full Name:
    Darren P
    KHPC are quite good.Give Simon or Arthur a call on 07000 360355.

11. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Was it you who was expecting a Ford GT ? Due sometime soon perhaps ? Don't forget the photos !