Loud exhaust for F550 Maranello | FerrariChat

Loud exhaust for F550 Maranello

Discussion in 'Europe' started by maranello71, Mar 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Today I had an amusing conversation with a friend who worked on the development program of the 550 Maranello back in 1996. He told me the car was so quiet that no conventional solution worked to increase induction noise. Finally they had an unusual but brilliant idea - they connected a kind of carbon-fiber "trumpet" to the intake manifolds, just before the intake channels in the head, to amplify induction and combustion noise which was carried all the way into the cockpit via the air conditioning ducts!!! Apparently the sound quality was AMAZING, far better than an Aston V12. But this solution was considered so outlandish and crazy that it never made it into production. :)

Apart from this, it seems that on the market the only way to make the 550 louder is the LOUD Tubi exhaust - too loud for Switzerland.

Does anyone know of an "intermediate" exhaust system for the 550, louder than stock but not deafening within a 3-mile radius? Would the 575 GTC's system (which sounds VERY nice) fit the 550?

2. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    *Loud Pipes Save Life*

(I know, doesn`t helps you or even answers your question - just thought;))

3. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Andrea, with a loud exhaust you won't be able to get into those posh dinners in Milan :)

There's a thread in the UK section about 550 exhausts. Might be helpful.
    Lots of links to other 550 exhaust threads.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52747

4. TomSilver

TomSilver Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Andrea,

did you hear the 575 GTC exhaust? How is the sound compared with the stock exhaust? I'm also thinking about swapping the exhaust. The Tubi has no TÜV in Germany (means that it is not officially allowed), and I know one owner of a Fuchs who is not satisfied with the loudness. But I had no chance to hear the 575 GTC exhaust. Maybe it's a good option.

Tom

5. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Make sure you listen to a post-2002 Tubi, 550 mufflers prior had a different design which made idle/low-rev noise unbearably loud, almost deafening inside the car. I drove a car like this and it was way OTT.

The current Tubi mufflers remain (too) loud, especially between 1000-2000rpm. Not the point where it's ridiculous and antisocial, but certainly a liability in case of police controls - there are so many that I am bound to get busted one day. Also a problem on some tracks.

Still, stock sound is simply too bland, so I'll keep them on as long as a I can.

6. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Yes I did hear the 575 GTC exhaust. I was actually with Simon, we were waiting at the "Daytona" Ferrari dealership in Pistoia (Italy) to finish work on our Maserati Gransport when this 23-year old kid comes into the garage, chats to the mechanic about various modifications he'd like for his car, and then drives away on his freshly serviced 575M GTC, which we'd been drooling over for the past hour!!! BAST*RD :)

Anyway, the sound was really good - deep and bassy without being anti-socially loud. The engine was cold and the kid did not abuse it (good boy - obviusly his father taught him good manners with his 200'000 Euros toy :) ), so we couldn't hear it at high revs, but the quality of sound at low rpm was really good - enhanced in all the right frequencies compared to a 550 but not unbearable like a Tubi.

I wonder if it would fit the 550 - I heard this exhaust is also 5Kg lighter than the original.

7. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    On my very first drive out in October 03 there was a silver 550 which sounded like a bi-plane..unbelievable. I think he had straight through pipes and no silencer! Will dig up the old thread (in old fchat) and see if I can find out who it was.

8. TomSilver

TomSilver Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I've got the price for the 575 Handling GTC exhaust. Fasten your seat belts, Gentleman: 8460€ + local Tax.

Must be made of gold or maybe platinum ;)

9. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Is this the price for the whole GTC Handling package incl. the exhaust system?
    Pleeeease, don`t tell me its just for the exhaust system (Tubi i.e.) :(

10. TomSilver

TomSilver Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You got it, it's just the exhaust.

11. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    grrrrrr *'+#-&%$§"% ? = BANDITOS!
    ;)

12. TomSilver

TomSilver Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tom
    YES!

13. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    At 8460€, I would rather gold plate my Tubis and pay fines for the rest of the life of the car with the remaining money ...